Picking a defensive player, 1st time - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Picking a defensive player, 1st time

Moderator: Football Moderators

Picking a defensive player, 1st time

Postby HotHandz305 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:16 pm

This year is the first time I will be playing in a league where we actually choose an individual defensive player aside from a DST.

My question is, how concerned should I be with picking one? Are they valuable enough that I need to pick them in mid to late or just at the end?

i remember learning from last year that with uniimited amounts of switching DSTs one could go week to week switching DST and do great, is it near the same for a individual defensive player?

Defensive Players League Value Yahoo! Default Value
Tackle Solo 1
Sack 2
Interception 3
Fumble Force 2
Fumble Recovery 2
Defensive Touchdown 6
Safety 2
Pass Defended 1
Block Kick 2
Tackles for Loss 1 0
Turnover Return Yards 20 yards per point 0
Week 13 Roster
QB Tony Romo
WR1 Greg Jennings
WR2 Vincent Jax
RB1 Arian Foster
RB2 LeSean McCoy
TE Vernon Davis
Flex (W/R/T) Willis McGahee
K Billy Cundiff
DST GB
IDP Patrick Willis
BEN Roy Helu
BEN Fred Davis
BEN Stevie Johnson
BEN Pitt D/ST
HotHandz305
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Picking a defensive player, 1st time

Postby latraffic » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:07 pm

Late.

Usually a few guys will waste picks on some IDP in the mid rounds but I've found IDP talent hard to predict and often fill many of my roster spots off the wire throughout the season based on who's peaking, matchups, etc.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby P1Army » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:14 pm

Look for tackles...that stat is the only one that is even remotely consistent...sacks and picks are sketchy. Middle to late rounds are best for IDP talent, although having good consistent tacklers can be a windfall. Look for guys with high tackle totals on teams with terrible offenses, Stand out defensive players, or players with big names are not typically the best selections for IDP...i.e. Nnamdi never gets thrown at so he has no chance of making stats.
Send questions direct to my twitter account @gallegosdavidm
P1Army
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 204BC » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:23 pm

Stick with LB's if you can. If your league requires defensive backs and linemen then fill your linebacker slots first, then the DB slots, usually with safeties if you can (they get more tackles typically than corners) and last of all d-linemen. The best linemen will only get 40+ tackles while the best LB's will be at 100+ tackles. There are some safeties out there that break the 90 tackle mark as well.

Fill your starting offense first, but wait on the kicker until the final round of the draft, then make sure you have backups at key positions (RB, QB, WR) before you fill out your defense. The nice thing about IDP's is that there are usually plenty to go around. I was in a 20 team IDP league last year that started 2LB, 2DB, 2DL and 2Dflex. There were still decent players to be had even after all of the teams had their rosters full.

There's a pretty good IDP ranking here: http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/2011/player_rankings_idp_2.php

Good luck!
204BC
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby AllDay » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:15 am

You only have to pick one? I'd wait. Usually you pick several IDP - at least 3 or 4. If you only need one then they have little value.

Even if you draft a bunch of them I'd still wait. I stock up on offense while others are drafting IDP in rounds 7 and on. I get lot's of nice value then pick the leftover IDP. I don't get too invested in them so I can waive them if they struggle or have a bye week. Sometimes you might want to pick up a LB that plays the Jets because he could get a ton of tackles or if you use a DB spot grab a DB that plays an offense that throws a lot.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Beginner's Forum