2 Mock 14 Player Drafts - Strategy for picking last??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

2 Mock 14 Player Drafts - Strategy for picking last???

Moderator: Football Moderators

2 Mock 14 Player Drafts - Strategy for picking last???

Postby StephanP89 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:36 pm

Hey guys, I'm in a 16 man league this year on ESPN and unfortunately I have the last pick. But, at least that means I get the first pick in the second round. I'm trying to get a strategy down because I know that I have zero chance at getting some of the elite guys like AP, Vick, Arian Foster, etc. Here are a couple of mock drafts I did:

#13 pick out of 14 man mock draft results:
QB:
Kyle Orton
Colt McCoy (Could have had Matt Cassel, but McCoy is getting the hype around here..)

WRs:
Calvin Johnson
Brandon Marshall
Percy Harvin
Steve Smith (Eagles)
Danny Amendola
Donald Driver

RBs:
Darren McFadden
Mark Ingram
Ryan Grant
Tim Hightower

TE:
Brent Celek

K:
Nick Folk

DEFENSE:
Kansas City

-------

Ok, now here is my second mock draft where I was #14 out of a 14 man mock league. I went the risky route of going WR>WR>RB>TE to get the trio of Megatron/White/Gates:

QBs:
Sam Bradford
Colt McCoy

WRs:
Calvin Johnson
Roddy White
Jacoby Ford
Danny Amendola
Lee Evans
Eddie Royal

RBs:
Daniel Thomas
Mark Ingram
Tim Hightower

TE:
Antonio Gates

K:
Adam Vinateri

DEFENSE:
49ers

I got screwed in round 11 where my Yahoo connection dropped and it auto-picked 49ers defense (I would nevvver draft a defense that early) and I lost out at grabbing either Addai, Felix Jones, Beanie Wells, or Tolbert to ease out my RB woes. I went a little risky and went WR>WR>RB>TE, but I think I ended up pretty well.

Could I get some opinions on my two mock teams and maybe some strategy tips on being the last man to pick in a 16 man league??
StephanP89
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2 Mock 14 Player Drafts - Strategy for picking last???

Postby LMack » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:03 am

Dealing with the snake pick in deeper leagues can be tough.

Does this league award any points per reception? If so, then I could see doing something like what you did in draft 2. Going WR/WR towards the end of the snake in PPR league is definitely a strategy that I would vouch for. However, if this is non-PPR I would likely open up RB/WR. You have no safe RBs in your second draft. Rookie running backs have a lot of upside but they are unproven commodities. I'd feel a lot better with someone a little more sure-fire.

PPR I'd shoot for 2 of Megatron, Roddy White, Larry Fitzgerald, Hakeem Nicks, and Mike Wallace.
If it is non-PPR I'd look to pair one of those wideouts with a falling RB like Rashard Mendenhall, Matt Forte, Darren McFadden, or even one of the older trio of Frank Gore, Michael Turner, Steven Jackson.

Good luck in 2011 ;-D
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Roster Ratings