Seeding a Weighted Consolation Bracket - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Seeding a Weighted Consolation Bracket

Moderator: Football Moderators

Seeding a Weighted Consolation Bracket

Postby SAFFcommish » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:46 pm

This year I wanna make something of my consolation bracket by making it worth something. 12 team league with 7 teams making playoffs and 5 teams out. So these 5 teams will be battling it out for the #1 pick in the following years draft.

So far I have created seeds #1-#5 seed. #5 being the worst team in the league (this is all in regards to the consolation bracket and my service MFL). I have playoffs starting week 14 and ending week 16. Right now I have 1 consolation game week 14 (game #1) (#1 vs. #2 seed) figuring they are the two strongest teams in the consolation bracket they will battle to stay.

Week 15 I then have the winner of game #1 playing the #3 seed and then the #4 and #5 seed playing one another as well. Winners move on to play for the #1 pick.

I am curious, considering this is my first time doing this is anyone has any input on this setup or has a better idea. I was thinking maybe even making the consolation bracket be 2 weeks starting week 14 where the #5 seed has a auto bye to the consolation championship and the #1 plays the #4 and #2 plays #3 or #1v.#2 and #3v.#4.

Any help would be great I have to many ideas flowing and can't seem to land on a concrete weighted consolation bracket system for 5 teams within weeks 14, 15, and 16.
SAFFcommish
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Seeding a Weighted Consolation Bracket

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:30 am

Why are you putting a seventh team into the winners' bracket? I'll happily answer and expound more upon the question, but I need to understand what your'e getting at first and this part is a real mystery to me? :-?
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dupree » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:37 am

Just curious why you are sending 7 to the playoffs. We send 6 to the playoffs and 6 to the consolation bracket starting in week 14, top 2 in each bracket get a bye in week 14 and from there winners move on to week 16 championship and best draft pick games. (thought about giving the bottom two in the consolation round a bye in week 14 but I don't like rewarding crappiness).

Some folks say we have to many teams in the playoffs at 50%, but it works for us, as, I imagine, 7 works for you guys.

Personally I like your initial option better than sending the #5/12 team directly to the finals, I also am not keen on punishing the 8/9 teams being that it is bad enough that they barely (most likely) missed out on the playoffs....

As always put your proposal to the league and get alignment before kickoff!
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SAFFcommish » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:37 am

3 divisions. Division winners #1-#3 with 4 wild card teams from anywhere. Our #1 seed gets a first round BYE. Their are then 6 winner bracket teams left #4-#7 seed. In my league we do a PYO (pick your opponent) for the #2 seed, who gets to pick their first round opponent. The next round is re-seeded, thats how I run playoffs in my league.

We have done it this way for 2 years already and works great for the league. Lots of fun and the PYO really creates some smack talk.

For the consolation bracket thanks for input hopefully I figure out a system soon. Thanks
Last edited by SAFFcommish on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAFFcommish
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:55 am

We don't do a "bracket" for consolation. We do top aggregate score among the non-playoff teams from week 14 to 16. Works for us.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SAFFcommish » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:26 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:We don't do a "bracket" for consolation. We do top aggregate score among the non-playoff teams from week 14 to 16. Works for us.

I like that idea and saves the work with setting up the bracket. You still let those owners make FA moves just after the winner bracket owners do?
SAFFcommish
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Commissioner's Corner