Elite TE's and where to draft them? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Elite TE's and where to draft them?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Elite TE's and where to draft them?

Postby prophecy135 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:19 pm

I am a full on card carrying member of the wait on QB's club, and I typically waited on TE as well. Due to this I typically drafted any combination of WR and RB through the first 4-6 rounds. I was curious how many of you would draft a top tier TE in say round 4 or even as high as 3 depending on where your drafting from. And from what I've seen, an elite TE does offer an advantage over other players, so I'm concidering taking one earlier then I have in the past. What is everyones thought on this?

Also please rank these guys in order you would take them for a PPR 12 man league. Gates, Witten, Clark, Finley, Davis. That's pretty much how I have them, although I see Finley possibly getting moved ahead of Clark, but I think the last 3 are pretty similar. Anyone else you'd add into the mix??

Thanks for the help and leave a link if you have one.
prophecy135
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 206)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Elite TE's and where to draft them?

Postby Guv » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:34 pm

I am never one to draft a TE that high. I usually can find more value in RB/WR or possibly QB.
I can't remember ever drafting a TE before rounds 5 or 6, and if the 5 TEs below are gone I'll wait much later.
My rankings:
(1) Gates
(2) Witten
(3) Clark
(4) Finley
(5) Davis

Please Help:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=491767#p3320099
Guv
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 2)

Postby DemonDeacon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Im with you brother. Wait on QBs and TEs. That being said I did a no-no last yr and drafted Gates in the middle of the 4th (I didnt like the RB/WR talent there) and holy god mary and joeseph he was the best player in the league outside of Foster for the first 6 weeks. Absolutely beast mode. Now again after that I'd still wait till the 5th RD IF you did pull the trigger on a TE. This is my personal rankings...

Gates
Finely
Clark
Witten
Davis

Witten is always going to be money, but Wittens never going to blow your mind with stats. He only had 2 of his TDs from Romo, the rest were with Kitna and Dez is only going to steal targets. Hes a safe pick but has a small ceiling compared to the others. Finely is higher on my list because the kid has the highest ceiling here except for Gates. Would it suprise any of us if Finely had 1000+/10+?? The answer is no. When it comes to the top TEs imo draft highest upside instead of steady, because unless your getting 800+/6+ your not getting a TE better than the talent at RB/WR at that round. And you can get a TE way later in the draft that will get you 500/5
Eastmont League 10-3 (2nd Seed)
Wenatchee League 9-4 (2nd Seed)
Urine Trouble League 6-7 (6th seed boooya!!!)
DemonDeacon
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 16)

Postby dblj9911 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:05 pm

Well in most every draft that I have done you will see a run on te's, so it all depends on where the first one is taken, then you will typically see several of them go. So you have to decide if you want of the elite te's- Gates, Clark, Witten, a second teir, Finley, Davis or wait on a Daniels, Miller type player. I'm pretty high on Daniels this season, he is healthy, has a running game (finally one in Houston) and AJ to open up the field for him, so he should have a big year. I would wait and grab that 3rd rb, or your 3rd wr and get someone like Daniels a round or two after the big run hit. Good luck.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=491828
dblj9911
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 75)

Postby crimedoctor » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 pm

I am also of the 'wait and see' strategy on TE's. But this year is different, ....This year, I think your best bet in 2011 is to wait and see if a top 5 TE goes cheap. Trust me, ....Gates, Finley, Davis, Witten, and Clark will ALL GO WAY TOO EARLY-NOT CHEAP AT ALL. Okay, my 2011 strategy THEN tells you to wait and see if one of the next 6 TE's goes DIRT cheap. Trust me, ....Daniels, Graham, Winslow, Pettigrew, Gonzalez and Zach Miller will all go way toO early as well, .....okay, maybe you MIGHT get a deal on Pettigrew. Now you can REALLY trust me, ....at least one of these guys: Gronkowski, Lewis, Keller, Cook, Aaron Hernandez, ....WILL emerge as a surprise, elite top 5-6 TE. Even beyond these guys, Vick might actually REALIZE that his team HAS a fine TE on the field-Celek. Ben Watson, Olsen, Moeaki, Boss, Gresham, Kendricks, ....the list goes on. DO NOT spend high, ....if you are smart, you shouldn't even spend medium-high. You might want to grab two long shots and see what happens. Free agents will abound!
crimedoctor
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby yaluoza » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:17 pm

Jimmy Graham, 6th round, enough said.
Qb: RGIII, Pryor
Rb: Spiller, Charles, Bryce Brown, Fred Jax, D.Brown, Ogbonnaya
Wr: V-Jax, Boldin, D-jax, T.williams, Collie
Te: Olsen, Gronk
Def: chiefs
K: Bailey
yaluoza
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 62)

Postby crimedoctor » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:10 am

Cook, ....11th round. There, I said it.
crimedoctor
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby YerInUrine » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:32 am

DemonDeacon wrote:Im with you brother. Wait on QBs and TEs. That being said I did a no-no last yr and drafted Gates in the middle of the 4th (I didnt like the RB/WR talent there) and holy god mary and joeseph he was the best player in the league outside of Foster for the first 6 weeks. Absolutely beast mode. Now again after that I'd still wait till the 5th RD IF you did pull the trigger on a TE. This is my personal rankings...

Gates
Finely
Clark
Witten
Davis

Witten is always going to be money, but Wittens never going to blow your mind with stats. He only had 2 of his TDs from Romo, the rest were with Kitna and Dez is only going to steal targets. Hes a safe pick but has a small ceiling compared to the others. Finely is higher on my list because the kid has the highest ceiling here except for Gates. Would it suprise any of us if Finely had 1000+/10+?? The answer is no. When it comes to the top TEs imo draft highest upside instead of steady, because unless your getting 800+/6+ your not getting a TE better than the talent at RB/WR at that round. And you can get a TE way later in the draft that will get you 500/5

Whammy... well said.

I think drafting TEs is more about opportunity. If there is nothing of good value in the mid-early rounds, why not? I wouldn't draft a TE if there is a WR or RB that is similar value still on the board at that point.

Help me! viewtopic.php?t=491874
YerInUrine
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions