Throw Charles back and keep Bradshaw?? WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Throw Charles back and keep Bradshaw?? WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Throw Charles back and keep Bradshaw?? WHIR

Postby Bronco_7 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:00 am

I am in a 2 keeper league. I am keeping Michael Vick for a thirteenth round selection as one and need to decide on the other.

I can keep Jamaal Charles for a first round pick #3 overall or keep Bradshaw for a sixth round pick.

Seems to me that keeping Bradshaw for the sixth round pick would be better value and then I could grab another good RB at #3 overall, though I would doubt Charles would be there at #3 but a good RB would be there regardless.

I have to decide on this by today. Thoughts on the best value? WHIR as always.

Thanks in advance
Sig GoodStash

12 team
QBs Roethlisberger, Kapernik
RBs Doug Martin, D Thomas, Bryce Brown
WRs C Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Garcon
TE Gates
K Vinatiari
DST Jets, Cards
Bronco_7
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Throw Charles back and keep Bradshaw?? WHIR

Postby Venom » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:08 am

I do see your reasoning, and normally this would make perfect sense.

But....

Bradshaw for a 6th is indeed good value, but not enough for me to toss back a top 4 RB. You will regret is as soon as you see Charles go off the board 1st overall.

Keep Vick and Charles.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby LSUby50 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:24 am

I disagree. Who are the top 3 players available in the draft? Since you have the #3 pick you will probably be able to get a similar player to JC in the 1st round but you wont get anything close to Bradshaw in the 6th. you have to go with value in this situation.
By keeping Vick late and bradshaw in the 6th, your starting roster will be filled out by round 4. If you keep JC instead, you'll still be fine because vick is such a steal, but slightly less of an advantage.
I have a similar league and threw Chiris Johnson back to keep Bradshaw in the 6th . (actually traded him for a pick and kept Bradshaw instead, but essentially the same).
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 73)

Postby dblj9911 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:28 am

Well Charles is going in the top 5, so I wouldn't mind losing my first round pick for him. With Vick being kept for you so late it is worth it for you. The drop off from Charles to Bradshaw is going to be too big. Good luck.

viewtopic.php?t=491887
dblj9911
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 75)

Postby SlayeratCP » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:38 am

Who are going to be the top RB's when you draft? I would keep Bradshaw in the 6th. Charles is a beast but the difference between him and the player you get at Rd 1 Pk 3 won't be nearly the difference as between Bradshaw and what you would get at Rd 6 Pk 10 or whatever. In a two keeper league the 6th round probably won't produce nearly a starting RB2
SlayeratCP
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bronco_7 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:40 am

dblj9911 wrote:Well Charles is going in the top 5, so I wouldn't mind losing my first round pick for him. With Vick being kept for you so late it is worth it for you. The drop off from Charles to Bradshaw is going to be too big.

I agree that the drop off from Charles to Bradshaw is fairly substantial but I would be banking on getting another solid back as well with the third pick, possibly a Mendenhall, Turner, Gore, etc since guys in my league seem to like to go with value in their keepers and throw back good players.
Sig GoodStash

12 team
QBs Roethlisberger, Kapernik
RBs Doug Martin, D Thomas, Bryce Brown
WRs C Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Garcon
TE Gates
K Vinatiari
DST Jets, Cards
Bronco_7
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby LSUby50 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:48 am

It comes down to this:
A) Jamal Charles + a 6th round pick
or
B) Bradshaw + #3 overall pick. (if there is any top 10 level player available with the number 3 pick then you have to keep Bradshaw.)

You cant think of the dropoff from JC to Bradshaw. the dropoff for RB1 is from JC to whoever is there at #3(slight), and for RB2 is from Bradshaw to whoever you draft in the 6th round (huge). Your team will be better with Bradshaw and the #3.
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Venom » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:05 am

The RB available for you at 3rd overall is not going to be anywhere near Charles.

If this is just a 10 team league, AJ, Calvin, Roddy and probably Rodgers etc will be the only other players aside from RBs kept. Worst case scenario with each team keeping 2 guys plan on the top 15 RBs being gone. That leaves you with Hillis, Best, Moreno, Mathews types available for you to draft. Even worse if this is a 12 teamer.

Do you really want to go into this year with Bradshaw and Best as your starting RBs?

Choose value if you want...but I would really consider keeping Charles and assuring yourself a top 5 talent at a very important position.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby LSUby50 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:19 am

He said Mendenhall, Turner, Gore are all available, also probably others, and you could add JC to that list if thrown back. So at WORST you get Gore + Bradshaw instead of JC + a 6th round pick.(Who are the RBs going in the 6th round pick after 20 keepers are taken out? guys like fred jackson, marshawn lynch, Benjarvis Green-Ellis. You dont want them as your #2.)

I'm stubborn on this one because my league is just like this, and most of the guys havent figured it out yet and wonder why their teams are never as good. You're trying to build the best TEAM, not have the best individual player. By having your solid RB 2 in hand already, your WR core will be drafted earlier and will also give you an advantage there.
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby SlayeratCP » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:26 am

I completely agree. Always take the guy who will cost you less unless the difference is huge and you will be better because of it. The teams that consistently do well in my keeper league are the guys that have late round keepers and can redraft early. The guy who keeps Adrian Peterson with the 4th overall pick got value but not much and doesn't reap the benefits of the keeper system.
SlayeratCP
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions