First year of Keeper League, Draft Strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

First year of Keeper League, Draft Strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

First year of Keeper League, Draft Strategy

Postby dugbrandon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:19 pm

The league I have been in for the last few years has had the same core guys for quite a while. This year we are going to start to do Keeper. We do Auction draft and will keep up to 3 players next year. We will pay $10 more for keepers next year than we pay this year, so if I draft say, Ray Rice for $45, I'd have to pay $55 to keep him next year (WR will be $7 more, QB/TE will be $5 more). We do PPR by the way. I feel that most high level guys aren't going to be worth keeping for the high prices it will likely take to keep them around. I think we are doing it that way because people still want a good amount of roster turnover and want a chance at bouncing back if they have a terrible team. Any reason draft strategy should change. I feel like people aren't going to pay much for great players since they won't get to keep them next year and younger players with high potential may go for more to try and keep them for next year. Is it reasonable to think that I could get studs for below market this year and go for the win this year and not worry about future keepers?
dugbrandon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: First year of Keeper League, Draft Strategy

Postby Cards24 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:37 am

dugbrandon wrote: Is it reasonable to think that I could get studs for below market this year and go for the win this year and not worry about future keepers?

Yes and No. Your strategy is right on ;-D Draft for today, However everyone will probably follow suit so don't expect to get studs at or even below market value. The way you have your keeper rules set up with set annual increase per position really handcuffs you into keeping rookies or really under valued/bought players (BTW there is nothing wrong that, just a different way of implementing a keeper system that does not hoard studs).

If I were you I would target one or two rookies (depending on your roster size) and see what other bargains falls to you. My tip for next year is that if you don't have a great bargain on your hands throw them back into the FA pool. In the end of the day it's like anything else... cash is always king :-b
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Beginner's Forum