Basic Drafting Strategies PLS help - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Basic Drafting Strategies PLS help

Moderator: Football Moderators

Basic Drafting Strategies PLS help

Postby 2pointconversion » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Greetings,

I am a very hardcore and dedicated fantasy hockey and baseball addict, but I am completely and utterly new to fantasy football. I suppose I should not have waited until the day before my draft to ask for advice, but none the less. My question is: what are some basic strategies, trends and common things that I should know about drafting for fantasy football? For example, in hockey it's common to know that goalies are very important, and that there are many elite center, so it's usually wise to fill up on winger positions earlier in the draft. In baseball, the same can be said about 3B, 2B and SS - harder positions to fill than outfield or 1B. Also in baseball, typically you can wait on pitchers and grab a lot of young, improving pitchers later in the draft and load up on offense in the first 8-10 rounds. I need to know the basis quirts that every fantasy football player should know.

League parameters:
10 team H2H, 1 year league, I do not know what spot I pick.

Positions: QB, QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Statistical Categories:
    Offense League Value Yahoo! Default Value
    Passing Yards 50 yards per point 25 yards per point
    Passing Touchdowns 4
    Interceptions -2 -1
    Rushing Yards 10 yards per point
    Rushing Touchdowns 8 6
    Reception Yards 10 yards per point
    Reception Touchdowns 10 6
    Return Touchdowns 6
    2-Point Conversions 2
    Fumbles Lost -2
    Offensive Fumble Return TD 6

Kickers League Value Yahoo! Default Value
    Field Goals 0-19 Yards 3
    Field Goals 20-29 Yards 3
    Field Goals 30-39 Yards 3
    Field Goals 40-49 Yards 4
    Field Goals 50+ Yards 5

Defense/Special Teams League Value Yahoo! Default Value
    Sack 1
    Interception 2
    Fumble Recovery 2
    Touchdown 6
    Safety 2
    Block Kick 2
    Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns 6
    Points Allowed 0 points 10
    Points Allowed 1-6 points 7
    Points Allowed 7-13 points 4
    Points Allowed 14-20 points 1
    Points Allowed 21-27 points 0
    Points Allowed 28-34 points -1
    Points Allowed 35+ points -4

I know about Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster and Chris Johnson. I honestly don't know much more after that (besides the top end QB's). So the questions I have are:

1. What positions should I typically target in the 1st rounder, and in the top 5 rounds in general? What player should I look to target if I draft in the 6-10 range?

2. Who are your top 10 fantasy football players going into the season?

3. When should I typically look to draft my first QB? 2nd QB?

4. What's the deal with defense? How early do I start drafting defense and can you name a couple of sure-fire sleeper defensive players that I should target in the later rounds?

5. Who are your top 3 sleepers for the upcoming season, and why?

6. In general, what are some basic understandings and strategies that every fantasy football player should know?

Any help in very much needed and appreciated! Thank you for any input that you can provide and I look forward to slowly but surely contributing to these forums.

Cheers!
2pointconversion
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Basic Drafting Strategies PLS help

Postby DC4MVP » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:50 pm

2pointconversion wrote:
I know about Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster and Chris Johnson. I honestly don't know much more after that (besides the top end QB's). So the questions I have are:

1. What positions should I typically target in the 1st rounder, and in the top 5 rounds in general? What player should I look to target if I draft in the 6-10 range?

2. Who are your top 10 fantasy football players going into the season?

3. When should I typically look to draft my first QB? 2nd QB?

4. What's the deal with defense? How early do I start drafting defense and can you name a couple of sure-fire sleeper defensive players that I should target in the later rounds?

5. Who are your top 3 sleepers for the upcoming season, and why?

6. In general, what are some basic understandings and strategies that every fantasy football player should know?

Any help in very much needed and appreciated! Thank you for any input that you can provide and I look forward to slowly but surely contributing to these forums.

Cheers!

1. In today's game, you're usually going to be looking at drafting a running backs early. They're popular because an elite back usually gets a good amount of yards on the ground and the added bonus of receiving yards along with touchdowns. Quarterbacks are becoming more and more popular as well as you may see Vick taken in the middle of the first because of his ability to get rushing yards and touchdowns.

For the top 5 rounds, I look to have a well-rounded team by then.

For example, this is my first drafted team this year:

QB: Ben Roethlisberger (round 5)
RB: Jaamal Charles (round 1)
RB: Michael Turner (round 2)
WR: Vincent Jackson (round 3)
WR: Mario Manningham (round 6)
WR: Brandon Lloyd (round 7)
RB/WR: Ryan Matthews (round 8)
TE: Antonio Gates (round 4)
D/ST: Chiefs (round 12)
K: Josh Brown (round 16)

By round 5, I already had my QB, two elite RBs, a top 7 WR, and the #1 TE.

A lot of managers like to bulk up at certain positions if they feel that position is weaker than others. I feel this year, every position has good depth so I went with a balanced team.

From 6-11, you're probably looking at Ray Rice, LeSean McCoy, Darren McFadden at RB. A probably most QBs outside of Vick will probably be there. Of course, all of that can change.

2. Off of my rankings: Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, Arian Foster, Jamaal Charles, Mike Vick, Ray Rice, R. Mendenhall, Roddy White, Aaron Rodgers, LeSean McCoy.

3. If you're starting 2 QBs a week, I'd start looking as early as round 2 but no later than round 3. That should land you a top 10 QB. After that, I'd look again for value QBs like Flacco, Freeman, Bradford, Stafford around rounds 7-8 as your #2 QB.

4. I don't like team defenses. I usually just play the match-ups week to week with the teams in the free agent pool. I won't lead you anymore down the defensive side of things since I don't care for them.

5. Julio Jones- May not be a "sleeper" but I think he's going to have a heck of a rookie season. I'm very high on him.
Reggie Bush- Some may not be high on him but for where you can snag him, I think he'll get more work than we think in Miami
Ryan Matthews- Had a horrid rookie season but I still think San Diego wants to get him on track. I'm not worried about Mike Tolbert.

6. Just follow your heart. As you get to know the game more, start coming up with your own rankings and opinions and find a draft strategy that suits your style of play.

My biggest piece of advice... K.I.S.S! KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID! Don't over-think. You'd be amazed at how many questions on this forum could be solved by simple logic.
DC4MVP
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Beginner's Forum