I am a very hardcore and dedicated fantasy hockey and baseball addict, but I am completely and utterly new to fantasy football. I suppose I should not have waited until the day before my draft to ask for advice, but none the less. My question is: what are some basic strategies, trends and common things that I should know about drafting for fantasy football? For example, in hockey it's common to know that goalies are very important, and that there are many elite center, so it's usually wise to fill up on winger positions earlier in the draft. In baseball, the same can be said about 3B, 2B and SS - harder positions to fill than outfield or 1B. Also in baseball, typically you can wait on pitchers and grab a lot of young, improving pitchers later in the draft and load up on offense in the first 8-10 rounds. I need to know the basis quirts that every fantasy football player should know.
10 team H2H, 1 year league, I do not know what spot I pick.
Positions: QB, QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
- Offense League Value Yahoo! Default Value
Passing Yards 50 yards per point 25 yards per point
Passing Touchdowns 4
Interceptions -2 -1
Rushing Yards 10 yards per point
Rushing Touchdowns 8 6
Reception Yards 10 yards per point
Reception Touchdowns 10 6
Return Touchdowns 6
2-Point Conversions 2
Fumbles Lost -2
Offensive Fumble Return TD 6
Kickers League Value Yahoo! Default Value
Field Goals 0-19 Yards 3
Field Goals 20-29 Yards 3
Field Goals 30-39 Yards 3
Field Goals 40-49 Yards 4
Field Goals 50+ Yards 5
Defense/Special Teams League Value Yahoo! Default Value
Fumble Recovery 2
Block Kick 2
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns 6
Points Allowed 0 points 10
Points Allowed 1-6 points 7
Points Allowed 7-13 points 4
Points Allowed 14-20 points 1
Points Allowed 21-27 points 0
Points Allowed 28-34 points -1
Points Allowed 35+ points -4
I know about Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster and Chris Johnson. I honestly don't know much more after that (besides the top end QB's). So the questions I have are:
1. What positions should I typically target in the 1st rounder, and in the top 5 rounds in general? What player should I look to target if I draft in the 6-10 range?
2. Who are your top 10 fantasy football players going into the season?
3. When should I typically look to draft my first QB? 2nd QB?
4. What's the deal with defense? How early do I start drafting defense and can you name a couple of sure-fire sleeper defensive players that I should target in the later rounds?
5. Who are your top 3 sleepers for the upcoming season, and why?
6. In general, what are some basic understandings and strategies that every fantasy football player should know?
Any help in very much needed and appreciated! Thank you for any input that you can provide and I look forward to slowly but surely contributing to these forums.