Hot off the presses... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

Hot off the presses...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Hot off the presses...

Postby teezy33 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:41 pm

10 Team ESPN Standard, plus .4 PPR, here's my team and the round they were drafted in out of the 8 hole:

QB - M. Ryan (6)
RB - D. McFadden (2)
RB - S. Jackson (3)
Flex - J. Best (4)
WR - A. Johnson (1)
WR - C. Ochocinco (7)
TE - O. Daniels (10)
D - Patriots (13)
K - M. Bryant (15)

B - F. Jones (5)
B - M. Manningham (8)
B - M. Tolbert (9)
B - L. Moore (11)
B - M. Stafford (12)
B - R. Jennings (14)
B - D. Carter (16)

How'd I do? Obviously went RB heavy, lots of high-risk, high-reward so I felt I needed a ton of depth there. Hopefully something sticks and I can make a trade for an upgrade at QB or WR..,
teezy33
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Hot off the presses...

Postby dtownsound8 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:27 am

I'm not terribly excited about this team to be honest. I've seen many teams I like a lot better that were drafted in 12 team leagues.

With there only being 10 teams in the draft I feel like you could have done a lot better.

QB - decent
RB - decent... not a high ceiling but not a low floor either
WR - solid if New England does for Ocho what they did for Moss then hell yah. That's a big IF though. Otherwise AJ is enough to make your WRs pretty darn good
TE - solid if he bounces back
D - decent
K - who the hell knows... he's a kicker

This to me looks like a team that would have a fair chance of hitting the playoffs in a 12 team league.

In a 10 team league, I fear your competition is going to be overwhelming

Just being honest!

Rate mine? http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=44
dtownsound8
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 19)

Re: Hot off the presses...

Postby teezy33 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:23 pm

I hear what you're saying...

I honestly expected this to be a competitive draft, and was shocked at how it went. One guy in particular drafted Big Ben in the 3rd, a Defense in the 5th, and a kicker in the 9th, so I'm not worried about the competition per se, I'm worried about the riskiness of my own team.

For some reason, I routinely drafted high risk/high reward players. None of those RB's are safe options, but if McFadden, Best, and F. Jones manage to stay healthy for 14+ a piece this year, they're going to all be top 15, at least. That's the big if, though, and that's why I drafted so many RB's early. The drop off is ugly after the 5th round, and since I had so many risky players I felt I needed more depth, and I'm between Tolbert, Jennings, and Carter, I'm hoping at least one of them gets the starting gig at some time this season because the backs in front of them are injury prone, and it could pay off nicely. My success or failure will ultimately be determined by whether or not my running backs stay healthy.

I'm going all in on Matty Ice this year, I think he tops 4,000 yards and 25 TD's, which would easily put him in the top 7, and if Stafford stays healthy, then he's potentially a starter or trade bait, but if he tanks again I can cut him loose without much worry. He's low risk/high reward this year.

I'm actually concerned about the WR's. I was going to take Crabtree in the 16th but he went right before my pick. Compared to other teams in the league, this is where I have the least amount of depth, and again I'm really banking on Ochocinco and/or Manningham to significantly outperform their draft position. I feel good about Daniels this year at TE, but both Jermaine Gresham and Jared Cook went undrafted and I'll be keeping a close eye on them, just in case. TE doesn't worry me, it's deep enough that it can be salvaged off the waiver wire.

All in all, I feel like this draft went well, but it's really hard to say how things ultimately turned out, and will be until seasons end. This is the most volatile team I've ever drafted, and if everyone plays towards their ceilings, I feel I could dominate my league, but if the injury bug bites, I'll be struggling to stay afloat by mid-season.
teezy33
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Roster Ratings