forum nOOb, first time drafting IDP's, PLEEEASE HELP!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to IDP

forum nOOb, first time drafting IDP's, PLEEEASE HELP!!

forum nOOb, first time drafting IDP's, PLEEEASE HELP!!

Postby GTOon19Z » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:36 am

Hey everyone, glad to be a part of these forums!

I need quite a bit of help, as this is the first time I have ever drafted IDPs, so I'm just looking for basic draft strategy for an 11th pick in a 12-man draft.
Scoring is as follows:

OFF players: 0.5PPR, pass TD'S=4, rush/rec TD'S=6, standard ydg (QB: 25yds/pt, RB & TE: 10yds/pt)
IDPS: Tackle Solo=1, Assist=0.5, Sack=2, Int=2, Fumble Force=2, Fumble Recov=2, Def TD=6, Safety=4, Pass Def=0.5, Blk Kick=4

Positions are as follows:

QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T, K, DEF, IDP, IDP, IDP, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

What I'm basically looking for is help on when to target players - what round IDPs normally start coming off, what a reach is considered, what players are more consistent given the parameters, things of this sort, as well as when to target your normal offensive players, team D, kickers, etc.

This is my second year doing fantasy football, but one of the 4 leagues this year is using IDPs, so I definitely need some help. I will help in any other forum, as I am not skilled in defensive players for fantasy purposes...LOL.
GTOon19Z
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: forum nOOb, first time drafting IDP's, PLEEEASE HELP!!

Postby AllDay » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:55 am

Most players don't have much clue about IDP leagues.

I usually wait until the final rounds and the clean up on leftovers. I could actually build a solid D out of the FA pool in most leagues. Load up on offense while others are chasing Willis and other IDP way too early.

Do your homework and assemble a decent list of top IDP - you will want to focus on LB and top S for most leagues scoring systems. Tackles usually rule. Assemble your list, monitor it and pick guys as you see fit. Usually - you can wait quite some time before drafting IDP.

That all said - I have nothing against using a 7th round pick on Willis if no offensive player really entices you. Don't go too much earlier than that and don't go repeatedly after IDP early. That will cost you. A pick or two here and there you can deal with if you MUST have a top IDP option.

My IDP drafts usually have WAY too many folks drafting IDP in mid-late rounds. Some leagues may escape this - but I have come to expect it unless I know the draft crowd will do otherwise. Load up on offense. Be prepared on D and pick over the ample leftovers late.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cleokatrah » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:49 pm

First, you have a rather shallow IDP roster, so your waivers are always going to have something decent to offer. Don't worry if you don't draft well.

If this is an online league, take a look at the point totals of the current defensive players. Note how they compare to point production in your league. Most leagues, I think, an IDP will compare equally to an average TE or WR3, production wise. Keep this note in the back of your head during the draft. When it's your turn to draft, ask yourself if you would be better off getting an offensive player of (usually, at this point) questionable production, or drafting an IDP. Top IDPs are generally solid point producers so you can count on them every week whereas a mid round offensive pick is quite risky unless you are going for handcuffs. If you can reasonably nab one, go for it. If not, don't worry.

Also, don't feel pressured to take an IDP during an IDP run. Always consider what is overall best for your team. another thing you don't really need to worry about is backups. With an IDP roster that shallow, you shouldn't have a problem finding bye week fills so you have no need to draft more than 3-4 IDP players. I personally would only take a fourth if there was someone left on the table whose value I couldn't ignore.
Cleokatrah
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby 204BC » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:57 pm

I might add, that since the IDP roster does not need to be specific positions, DO NOT draft any defensive linemen. Jared Allen, Julius Peppers and Ndomukung Suh are great players, but they are way down the list for how many points they will net your team. A great offensive lineman will get you 40+ tackles and maybe 10+ sacks in a season. A great linebacker will get you 100+ tackles and 7+ sacks in a season (as well as a better chance at INT's). Go with LB's first. In fact, I'd fill my whole IDP roster with LB's if I were you. There are some DB's however that are on par with the 2nd tier LB's.

At 1 point/tackle I disagree with Cleokatrah about the value of IDP's. A great LB might get you an average of 8 tackles/game and a few sacks/forced fumbles and INT's as bonuses along the way. To say a that an IDP ranks similar to a TE or WR3 in this format I think is a bit of an understatement. Jarod Mayo last year would have probably averaged 10 -12 pts per game with the scoring system you listed. A WR3 probably gets you 7 - 10 at best. I'd put them more on par with a low end RB2 or WR2, at least for the great ones.

Fill your offense up, except for the kicker. Take 1 backup at QB, RB, WR and TE (not necessarily in that order) and if there's a really good LB on the table, grab him then, if there's yet another great one, take two in a row. Once the top tier IDP linebackers are gone (and there aren't many so it won't take long) grab another backup RB and WR, then fill out the rest of your IDP lineup. Take a kicker with the LAST pick and don't draft a backup. You don't need one.

Finally, go here for some help in rankings. The host sites are usually not very good with default rankings of IDP players. Yahoo is exceptionally terrible: http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/2011/player_rankings_idp_2.php
204BC
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Cleokatrah » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:51 pm

204BC wrote:At 1 point/tackle I disagree with Cleokatrah about the value of IDP's. A great LB might get you an average of 8 tackles/game and a few sacks/forced fumbles and INT's as bonuses along the way. To say a that an IDP ranks similar to a TE or WR3 in this format I think is a bit of an understatement. Jarod Mayo last year would have probably averaged 10 -12 pts per game with the scoring system you listed. A WR3 probably gets you 7 - 10 at best. I'd put them more on par with a low end RB2 or WR2, at least for the great ones.

Yes, I was speaking of strictly the average IDP, not the top tier. The top tier is definitely worth a steady 10+/points a game and should be considered as such.
Cleokatrah
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby GTOon19Z » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:10 pm

Thank you all for your excellent advice! I will definitely keep all of this in mind as I take part in my draft tomorrow morning. I will post the drafted roster for evaluation, so you all can tell me how you think I did.

Thanks again, and wish me luck!
GTOon19Z
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Levon83 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:56 pm

I love the IDP, and most sites are allowing you to choose it now. I usually start drafting IDPs once I've got my starting lineup. LB and S are the best positions to aim for. DLs don't usually get a lot of tackles, so you have to rely on their sacks. CBs don't usually get a lot of tackles either, unless they aren't that good, but start (give up a lot of completions.) I've done about 6 mock drafts this year, my lineup is: RB1, RB2, WR1, RB3, WR2, TE, WR3, QB, LB1, DB2, QB2, and from there it's pretty basic. You probably won't get Patrick Willis, but I've got guys like, Curtis Lofton, Barrett Rudd, Lawrence Timmons and so on. Everyone else is right, the free agency pool will be filled with guys. Just look for who's going to get the most tackles. You can't predict interceptions or even sacks. But if a team likes to run the ball a lot, you're front seven and even you're safeties are going to get a lot of work. Vice versa, if you're playing the Patriots, or someone else who throws a lot, you're defensive backfield is going to be busy. Truly, it's not that hard, just have fun with it. My only warning is stay away from DL unless you have to. You just never know what they're going to do.
Levon83
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby GTOon19Z » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks again for all your help everyone!!

check out the drafted roster at this link:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=494790

I'm a big boy, so I can take the criticism. LOL
GTOon19Z
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to IDP