Deleted - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Deleted

Moderator: Football Moderators

Deleted

Postby METS 24 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:06 pm

Deleted
Last edited by METS 24 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
18 Teams
QB-Robert Griffin III
RB-Arian Foster
RB-Darren McFadden
WR-Roddy White
WR-Greg Jennings
FLEX-Lamar Miller
TE-Brent Celek
K-Greg Zuerlein
DST-Eagles

BENCH
QB-Terrelle Pryor
RB-Daniel Thomas
WR-Davone Bess
WR-Lance Moore
TE-Dallas Clark
METS 24
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Alot Is Riding On My First 4 Picks...Need Some Advice...

Postby DC4MVP » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:11 pm

You're over-thinking my friend.

Don't go into ANY draft with a feeling that you must draft a certain player and/or position in a certain round. No matter what, you should be looking to get the best value for your picks.

Odds are, the draft isn't going to go how you think it is based off your ADP. No draft in history has went according to plan based off of ADP.

Here's an excerpt from an article dealing with the exact same your doing:

Obviously, it's advised to come into a draft with a plan on what you want to do. This plan should be simple and non-specific.

For example, part of my plan in my first draft this season was to draft two running backs and a receiver with my first three picks. It didn't matter how I got to that point, as long as I entered the fourth round with two backs and a wideout.

I kept it simple, followed my basic plan and finished with one of the best teams I've had in my 10 years of fantasy football.

By having a basic and simple plan, you leave yourself room to improvise and adapt to what happened before and after your pick. If you come in with an over-complicated plan that leaves little room to improvise, what happens when you start seeing your plan fall apart?

I strongly suggest you read the rest of "drafting" part of this article here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8161 ... le_oneline

It pretty much sums up your problem of over-thinking the draft. Don't go into the draft with a list of names you think are going to be there, instead come into the draft with a plan like the article suggests. If you want to go 2 RBs, a QB, and a WR in your first 4 picks, don't worry about taking them in a pre-planned round.
DC4MVP
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheSox04 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:06 pm

Great post above.
Entering my 4th year & my buddy tends to do the same thing saying I'm gonna go RB RB WR - if you want 2 RB & WR that's fine just don't define when & who you'll take. Most of the time the group of players you think will be at a certain spot usually will be but if there is someone there you weren't expecting to be there you have to roll with the punches.
In the first 6-7 rounds of any draft, my thinking is don't reach too much on players - these early and mid rounds of the draft are for building your foundation. If you want high risk/high reward go for it.

As for your draft scenario, I would go with the best player available. If you really want a top-tier QB then you will have to see how the draft is going and take your QB but not decide today that in the 2nd rd I'm taking a QB regardless of who is there.
TheSox04
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)

Postby bungle613 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:43 pm

Both posts above are very good advice. I will generally look to come out of the first 4 rounds with 2 RB and 2WR but I am still flexible what my starting req's are is important as well. If I can start 2 QB or 3 RB, then I will weight that position more heavily.

A quick look at FFC, my ideal first 4 picks would be

Mega
Gore
Nicks
SJax
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions