How to draft? PPR w/IDP's - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to IDP

How to draft? PPR w/IDP's

How to draft? PPR w/IDP's

Postby The305MiamiCanes » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:48 pm

16 team
1QB,2WR,2RB,1TE,1W/R/T,1K,2DB,2DL,3LB,6Bench
I was thinking about getting my QB,WR's,RB's and flex and then getting my IDP's starting with the LB's
Just to put into perspective how valuable IDP's are, Mayo had 320 points last year, Arian Foster had 399
IDP settings
tackle solo - 2
tackle assist - 1
sack - 3
int - 4
force fumble/recorvery - 3
touchdown - 6
safety - 3
pass defend - 3
block kick - 3
tfl- 3
return yards - 10 yards
The305MiamiCanes
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: How to draft? PPR w/IDP's

Postby AllDay » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:33 pm

I find that people really don't know what they are doing in most IDP leagues. Somebody will always draft Revis even though he is a terrible fantasy player (nobody throws at him).

DO NOT go after IDP early. Others will. That is time for you to POUNCE on the offensive players and build a deep bench.

If you REALLY want a Willis or somebody - then sure you can burn ONE draft pick around pick 70-100 if you must. I generally wouldn't, but one IDP pick isn't going to hurt you too much.

Since you have a DL spot - try to get Aldon Smith* (LB/DE/DL eligible) late because he will be playing at LB and might be the top DL eligible player this year. He might be undrafted so WAIT to get him unless your league is knowledgeable. Mathias Kiwanuka should also play LB and be DE/DL eligible. Could be very valuable as a DL.

*EDIT Aldon Smith now does not appear to have done enough to have won a starting spot, and therefore is fairly worthless for IDP use. Perhaps if he starts later on he will be a nice 2nd half IDP play at DL.

Most IDP drafts - I could go to the FA pool and still assemble a decent IDP team. Rank your top 150 offensive players or so - then rank a bunch of IDP players, starting with top LB. Maybe a few top S here and there. Assemble a large list of top ranked IDP so you can easily monitor the group and see who is left and how deep the talent pool is.

Preparation is key. That allows you to acquire a deep offensive bench and choose among the ample IDP leftovers. You will be waiving many of your IDP on their bye weeks and grabbing the breakout IDP as they appear. Do not invest high picks in them.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ceriana » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:50 pm

AllDay is for the most part correct.

The KEY is, you want to wait until the offensive position player pool is comprised of a bunch of similarly tiered players. At this point you want to start to add some upper tier defensive players. In your league this will probably occur in the 6th round. And when the first LB goes off the board a big run is going to occur at which point you'll have to decide to jump on board or let the train go by. If your on an end and its the 5th/6th round turn, you may want to start the run yourself.
Ceriana
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Kilroy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:05 am

The problem with most IDP leagues is that the way the scoring's set up IDPs don't have any more real relevance than the Team Defenses they replace...they're afterthoughts, which is too bad. In that case (which appears to be the case here) the strategy outlined here is very valid.

If you really like the format and want to get a true feel for what IDP strategy is like I'd suggest finding (or starting) an IDP league where the scoring is weighted more evenly, or trying an IDP-only league (which are growing in popularity), as those can give you a much better taste of the strategies that can come into play if the playing field is leveled.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Ceriana » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:44 am

Kilroy wrote:The problem with most IDP leagues is that the way the scoring's set up IDPs don't have any more real relevance than the Team Defenses they replace...they're afterthoughts, which is too bad.

Did you look at the defensive scoring setup? He didn't post the offensive setup, but the IDP's in that league are going to score a shit ton of points.
2 for a solo and 1 for assist means the players are going to score twice as much as in traditional IDP setups (solo=1, assist=0.5). Draft 'em early and often.
Ceriana
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Kilroy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:34 pm

Ceriana wrote:
Kilroy wrote:The problem with most IDP leagues is that the way the scoring's set up IDPs don't have any more real relevance than the Team Defenses they replace...they're afterthoughts, which is too bad.

Did you look at the defensive scoring setup? He didn't post the offensive setup, but the IDP's in that league are going to score a shit ton of points.
2 for a solo and 1 for assist means the players are going to score twice as much as in traditional IDP setups (solo=1, assist=0.5). Draft 'em early and often.

Compared to offensive players, assuming a "standard" PPR setup, those IDPs still aren't going to make nearly the dent you might think, and the "early and often" strategy will likely come back to bite you given the depth available at LB and DB (DL is an exception...might be worth an early-ish selection to grab a stud DL given the dropoff after the elite ones are gone).

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby hooligan1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:41 pm

One thing I see time and time again as a piece of advice on IDP drafting is not to take defensive guys early. And for the most part this holds true. However, in my recent draft I had decided that I wanted one of Cole, Tuck or Allen for my DL spot, with the preference being Cole. It got to the 8th round, a couple/few IDP's had been selected so far (all LB's) and I was unimpressed with the collection of offensive 'talent' I found myself staring at. So I just decided, heck with it, I'm grabbing Cole. And I'm glad I did. Perhaps I reached a round or two too early, but as I was discussing on another forum earlier today, I'd rather reach and have the guy be a dud, than wait, miss out on him and then watch him go and have the season I was anticipating while on a buddy's roster.

So much of when you should start grabbing defensive guys is wrapped up in what other league members think of these players. In other words, their perceived value to your leaguemates. A guy in my league, every year he grabs Patrick Willis, usually anywhere from 1-3 rounds before anyone else grabs any IDP's. But he wants the guy and ya know what? Coincidence or not, he always makes the playoffs and frequently wins the league. So that whole 'wait till you've drafted all your offensive starters and some of your back-ups' thing doesn't always hold up......

That said, Willis was 'only' the 9th ranked LB using our league's scoring system for last year. I picked up the undrafted Jerod Mayo after week 3 and he went on to be the #1 ranked guy at the position. So ya never know......

Hooligan1

check out and rate my team, please....viewtopic.php?f=341&t=494165
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ceriana » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:42 am

@Kilroy

Kilroy wrote:Compared to offensive players, assuming a "standard" PPR setup, those IDPs still aren't going to make nearly the dent you might think

My private league has been using IDP's since it's inception in 1993, please do not tell me what kind of a difference IDP's will make. The fact is, your dead wrong and giving out bad information.

@Hooligan

While I agree with most of what you said, the fact that you said:

hooligan1 wrote:I picked up the undrafted Jerod Mayo after week 3 and he went on to be the #1 ranked guy at the position.

This kind of discredits you. I mean, what league with IDP would Mayo not have been drafted in last year... Just doesn't say much about the set up or seriousness of your league/owners.
Ceriana
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Kilroy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Ceriana wrote:@Kilroy

Kilroy wrote:Compared to offensive players, assuming a "standard" PPR setup, those IDPs still aren't going to make nearly the dent you might think

My private league has been using IDP's since it's inception in 1993, please do not tell me what kind of a difference IDP's will make. The fact is, your dead wrong and giving out bad information.

@Hooligan

While I agree with most of what you said, the fact that you said:

hooligan1 wrote:I picked up the undrafted Jerod Mayo after week 3 and he went on to be the #1 ranked guy at the position.

This kind of discredits you. I mean, what league with IDP would Mayo not have been drafted in last year... Just doesn't say much about the set up or seriousness of your league/owners.

"Dead Wrong?"

So you're going to tell me, that in a set-up like that, with a short bench, that there won't be a significant number of solid IDP options left on the WW each week given the depth at a position like LB or DB relative to the depth at say RB? Or that that would then lower the relative value of those IDPs, since there's much more positional scarcity (in general) on offense? Or that, once again in general, IDPs are much more inconsistent year-to-year than offensive players?

Sure, Mayo had 320 points to Foster's 399, but that's not what makes a player more valuable. It's his value as opposed to the other players at his position, and in the vast majority of "mixed" leagues IDPs don't have the same relative value as offensive guys, whether it's due to scoring, the depth of the talent pool at LB and DB (DL is a different story), or a combination of both.

Oh, one last thing. If you wanna disagree with me (or anyone else) fine, but next time try not to be such a pompous jack*** while doing it.

Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to IDP