Why is RB better than QB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Why is RB better than QB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why is RB better than QB?

Postby bugehalls » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:22 pm

I'm new and was wondering why it's better to get a RB with less projected fantasy points than a QB with more projected fantasy points in the first couple rounds.
bugehalls
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Why is RB better than QB?

Postby GoChajuzGo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:23 pm

While QBs typically score the most points, there is a much larger drop-off after a certain point for RBs.

For example, last year in standard ESPN leagues, Vick was the top QB with 300 points, while Eli Manning, the 10th best QB, scored 221.

Arian Foster was the top RB with 313 points, and the 10th best RB, Ray Rice, had 200.

Add in the fact that you typically start 2 or more RBs, and that makes it even more crucial to get good RBs while you can.

EDIT: Another note, the 10th rated RB will go a lot sooner than the 10th rated QB.

Also, even another note, I like to use the fact that in a 10 team league where you start 1 QB, once 9 QBs have left the board and you do not have a QB yet, you can usually safely assume that nobody will draft another QB for a few more rounds, so you can build up depth at other positions for a couple more rounds before you're really forced to pick someone up. I'm targeting Rivers, then Matt Ryan, then Ben Roethlisberger in my draft with the feeling that I'm not going to mind if I miss out on Rivers or Ryan earlier on.
GoChajuzGo
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby latraffic » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:42 pm

It's a numbers game. Two top RBs are worth more than one top QB. Also I've found good running backs are more consistant from week to week while QBs, even good ones, are more likely to fail you a few times each season.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tireur » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:50 pm

Because you usually start two to three running backs every week and you can only start one quarterback every week. Also the difference between the quarterbacks isn't as noticeable as they are with running backs from early picks to late picks.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Tireur
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Venom » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:40 pm

Points.

Using Yahoo's standard league scoring in 2010, you would see that the difference between QB1 and QB8 is about 55 points.

The difference between RB1 and RB8...108 points.

Simply put, you would lose more points by waiting on a RB than you would waiting on a QB. Get your RB earlier.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby thriftyrocker » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:08 pm

It might be outdated thinking to prefer RBs. I wouldn't follow this mantra unless you're confident in the RBs you're taking. Don't take a RB you don't like or don't trust. A few experts are coming full circle and recommending "upside down" drafting where you get QB and WR first, since their stats are more guaranteed (less risk of injury, less turnover year to year - Foster, Hillis, McFadden were midround picks or later last year and helped teams win). If you feel more confident taking a QB, you should take a QB. However, you should plan ahead and know which RBs you think you can get in middle rounds that will have a chance to help you. Look at cheatsheets like this one (http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/player_rankings.php) or a mock draft like this one (http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/2011 ... femock.php). See where you think guys like Mark Ingram, Felix Jones, Beanie Wells, and Tim Hightower will go and try to load up on those guys in the middle rounds by taking them a round or two early. I have no problem taking a QB and 2 WRs the first 3 rounds if I can grab 3 or 4 of those guys in the middle rounds.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Apoplectic » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:13 pm

And think of it this way, There are only 32 starting positions in the NFL for both QB's and RB's; since most if not all leagues let you start 2 RB's and only 1 QB there is the same supply of both of the positions, but RB has twice the demand. Get whats in demand before the supply runs out.
Apoplectic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 14)

Postby Levon83 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:33 pm

Although it sucks, it is true. They're not necessarily better, but the days of the feature RB are almost gone. I'm hoping it makes a return though. The problem is in order for you to trust a RB, you need to carry the ball at least 200-250 times. There are about 15 RBs at the most that still do that. The rest split time with another good RB. That's where the term "handcuff" comes in. Take DeAngelo Williams for instance. 2007 was my first year in FF. He was undrafted. I picked him up in free agency mid-season. He finished the year with over 1,500 yards and 18 TDs. Jonathan Stewart was a rookie that year, and was hurt near the end of the season. Once Williams took off, even if Steward had been healthy, they weren't going to take away his carries. Arian Foster was a prime example last year. The way he was playing, he missed a whole quarter in one game, and still finished with over 100 yards and 2 TDs. The point is, how many times are you going to have to worry about your QB getting benched, and if they do, you're probably not going to start their backup, but another team's starter. Trust me, I hate to say it, because I had Aaron Rodgers 2 years in a row, and I loved every minute of it. This year, I'm rolling on Eli Manning. I praying on another 4,000 yards 30 TD. Seeing as how half of his 25 interceptions were tip drills from the WRs, I see that number coming down. Other QBs to keep your eye on, are Matthew Stafford, Josh Freeman and Sam Bradford.
Levon83
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby dgan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:39 pm

You arrive at my store on Round1day. I have a table here with 10 fresh, delicious QBs. I have another table of 10 fresh, delicious RBs. You may have one or the other.

When you come back on Round2day, I will have 8 of the still fresh, delicious QBs. The RB table will be empty, but I have some expired, moldy RBs in the back I can sell you for the same price.

That's the basic idea - supply and demand. But as others have explained well, it is more complex, particularly this year.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Venom » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:45 pm

dgan wrote:When you come back on Round2day, I will have 8 of the still fresh, delicious QBs. The RB table will be empty, but I have some expired, moldy RBs in the back I can sell you for the same price.

:-b
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Return to Beginner's Forum