Pats Fans, who is the better TE pick? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pats Fans, who is the better TE pick?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Pats Fans, who is the better TE pick?

Postby dgan » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:33 am

I think you have to consider Hernandez like another WR. Gronkowski is going to be the conventional TE. The question is, if Branch, Ochocinco (and if Welker can't stay healthy) are struggling - if Brady is going to throw for 4200+ and 35+, someone else will need to contribute in a big way.

So there are a lot of ifs there, but when you look at his talent and the opportunity in that offense, that is the appeal of Hernandez. Gronk is going to get his...he's a low risk, low reward guy. Hernandez is the opposite - boom or bust.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sammyfan711 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:57 am

Let's not forget the reports that Gronk was "uncoverable" in the red zone this preseason. This adjective has been used liberally over the years while describing tight ends but Gates is a guy that "uncoverable" has been associated with over the years.
sammyfan711
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DraftDodger » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:30 am

justinj312 wrote:Gronkowski, Hernandez, or none? I would like your opinion on which one is the better FF pick.

Hernandez will go undrafted in lots of leagues. Although I'm a bit of a Pats homer, I'd still rather get Miller (especially since he's no longer fighting for targets) who should be available right around the same point in the draft as Gronk. If Miller is off the board, then Gronk. I think Hernandez is capable of putting up as many (or even more) seasonal fantasy points, but there are games he'll just disappear, especially if the Pats are nursing a lead (which could happen a lot with their high-powered offense and improved defense). Hernandez would make your team one week and break it the next, and that's not what fantasy players are looking for.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby bostonsoxandy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:50 am

aaawall91 wrote:Hernandez, will be the same answer each year that question comes up B-)

Wasn't the answer last year....
bostonsoxandy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bostonsoxandy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:57 am

dgan wrote:I think you have to consider Hernandez like another WR. Gronkowski is going to be the conventional TE. The question is, if Branch, Ochocinco (and if Welker can't stay healthy) are struggling - if Brady is going to throw for 4200+ and 35+, someone else will need to contribute in a big way.

So there are a lot of ifs there, but when you look at his talent and the opportunity in that offense, that is the appeal of Hernandez. Gronk is going to get his...he's a low risk, low reward guy. Hernandez is the opposite - boom or bust.

1. The answer to your question about if Branch and Ocho struggle/Welker injured: Taylor Price.
2. Gronk's not a low reward guy. He had 500+ yds and 10 Td's as a rookie, people act like he can't do better. I can't remember a rookie TE who posted a 10 td season. In NE it's pretty obvious that Brady loves Gronk in the red-zone and I think Gronk should be a safe bet for 12-14 TD's at the least. The yardage will have to increase from last year as well. I'd bet money that Gronk finishes as a top-10 TE.
bostonsoxandy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Sex Panther » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:14 am

bostonsoxandy wrote:
dgan wrote:I think you have to consider Hernandez like another WR. Gronkowski is going to be the conventional TE. The question is, if Branch, Ochocinco (and if Welker can't stay healthy) are struggling - if Brady is going to throw for 4200+ and 35+, someone else will need to contribute in a big way.

1. The answer to your question about if Branch and Ocho struggle/Welker injured: Taylor Price.
2. Gronk's not a low reward guy. He had 500+ yds and 10 Td's as a rookie, people act like he can't do better. I can't remember a rookie TE who posted a 10 td season. In NE it's pretty obvious that Brady loves Gronk in the red-zone and I think Gronk should be a safe bet for 12-14 TD's at the least. The yardage will have to increase from last year as well. I'd bet money that Gronk finishes as a top-10 TE.

12-14 TD at least is a very, very bold statement...

Antonio Gates has never scored 14 TD in a season, mater of fact, his career high is 13 (and he's scored 10 twice).

Gronk had 40 some odd catches last year, 10 went for TD, that is an insanely good catch to TD ratio, he will be hard pressed to duplicate it.

I like Gronk - quite a bit actually, but 12-14 TD is palcing too lofty an expectation upon the young man, 50-60 catches, 600ish yards, 8 or so TD is a bit more realistic IMO.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby ateam » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:30 pm

I believe Hernandez is the most unsung guy out there & made sure to get him on every team of mine. He'll be a PPR beast. Brady loves/trusts this guy and the comment about him being virtually a WR is right on. I think he has top 5 TE scoring potential. Basically I feel like I've got one of Brady's favorite WR in my lineup vs. a TE every week. The TDs will come as well, last year's TD's were an abberation for Gronk and no other seasons to look at for people. You could see in preseason just how much this guy will be involved for NE this year.
ateam
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sex Panther » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:49 am

I doubt Brady throws for 500+ again this season (but after 3 other guys went for 400+ - Brees, Newton, Henne, maybe he will)...

But after 1 week in which both put up 20+ pts in full PPR formats, I sure am happy I own at least 1 (and in 2 cases both) in 6 of 7 leagues...

The combined for 13 catches, 189 yards, and 2 TD last night.

Hernandez - 7/103/1 - 23.3 full PPR pts.

Gronkowski - 6/86/1 - 20.6 full PPR pts.

Brady seems to love these two. Somebody said it earlier - Hernandez is like a WR - I agree completlely, he's like Colston his rookie year, just no WR eligibility. He's a total matchup nightmare. Gronkowski is definately in the mold of an old school tight end.

Loved the fact that Brady looked to Hernandez in the redzone as well.
Last edited by Sex Panther on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby dgan » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:03 pm

This could be a bigger issue for Welker owners. From what I saw in the game, they are using Hernandez in the slot and splitting Welker out wide more. We knew the 100+ catches for Welker days were gone, but he may get even fewer looks than we expected.

Of course, if he can get a 99 1/2 yard TD each game, who cares? :-b
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Sex Panther » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:09 pm

dgan wrote:This could be a bigger issue for Welker owners. From what I saw in the game, they are using Hernandez in the slot and splitting Welker out wide more. We knew the 100+ catches for Welker days were gone, but he may get even fewer looks than we expected.

Of course, if he can get a 99 1/2 yard TD each game, who cares? :-b

I'm posting this from my phone, so I'm not going to look it up again, but I'm fairly certain Welker lead the team in targets with 12, Hernandez second with 10. I wouldn't be so quick to say Welker's 100 catch days are gone, he should be completely over his ACL this year.
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager