Pats Fans, who is the better TE pick? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pats Fans, who is the better TE pick?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Pats Fans, who is the better TE pick?

Postby Guru13 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:14 am

Rotoworld said Gronk was on the field for 75 of the patriots 80 offensive snaps. To me that shows he's the guy to own going forward, while Hernandez wasn't far behind at 66, I think if (and this is a big if honestly) Ochocinco ever figures out what's going on Herandez will be the one to lose some snaps. They both looked impressive to me, I couldn't say one outperformed the other but Gronk is the more traditional tight end, and is going to be on the field more. I also don't think we'll see Brady throw the ball 50 times a game.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sex Panther » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:43 am

Guru13 wrote:Rotoworld said Gronk was on the field for 75 of the patriots 80 offensive snaps. To me that shows he's the guy to own going forward, while Hernandez wasn't far behind at 66, I think if (and this is a big if honestly) Ochocinco ever figures out what's going on Herandez will be the one to lose some snaps. They both looked impressive to me, I couldn't say one outperformed the other but Gronk is the more traditional tight end, and is going to be on the field more. I also don't think we'll see Brady throw the ball 50 times a game.

I doubt Brady throws 50 times a game either - that's 800 attempts, but I'd be willing to bet he hits that number on more than 1 more occasion (especially if they don't fix a defense that got torched for 400+ yards by Chad friggin Henne), and I'd be shocked if he doesn't average abround 40 a game - 640ish attempts.

That said, if anybody is going to truly try and exploit the new passer friendly rule changes it's The Hoody.

The Patriots have also shown that they are not adverse to running up scores.

IMO, there is no way the Patriots deviate from their 2 TE offense - Hernandez poses the biggest matchup problem on that offense & Gronkowski is a complete TE who is a wonderful redzone target.

If 85 gets upto speed, it's Branch who loses snaps IMO.

Both guys will be startable week in-week out.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby bostonsoxandy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:33 pm

bostonsoxandy wrote:It's Gronk and it's not close. Arguably Gronk is now Brady's #1 red zone target. Hernandez is a sexy player and is sure talented, but doesn't get those TDs like Gronk does.

Hope y'all rolled with Gronk
bostonsoxandy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby TitsMcGahee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:04 pm

Does anyone know when Hernandez is expected back? I need to pick up a TE bye-week filler for Witten this week and thinking bout swooping up Hernnadez.
TitsMcGahee
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 28)

Postby bostonsoxandy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:43 am

Sex Panther wrote:
bostonsoxandy wrote:
dgan wrote:I think you have to consider Hernandez like another WR. Gronkowski is going to be the conventional TE. The question is, if Branch, Ochocinco (and if Welker can't stay healthy) are struggling - if Brady is going to throw for 4200+ and 35+, someone else will need to contribute in a big way.

So there are a lot of ifs there, but when you look at his talent and the opportunity in that offense, that is the appeal of Hernandez. Gronk is going to get his...he's a low risk, low reward guy. Hernandez is the opposite - boom or bust.

1. The answer to your question about if Branch and Ocho struggle/Welker injured: Taylor Price.
2. Gronk's not a low reward guy. He had 500+ yds and 10 Td's as a rookie, people act like he can't do better. I can't remember a rookie TE who posted a 10 td season. In NE it's pretty obvious that Brady loves Gronk in the red-zone and I think Gronk should be a safe bet for 12-14 TD's at the least. The yardage will have to increase from last year as well. I'd bet money that Gronk finishes as a top-10 TE.

12-14 TD at least is a very, very bold statement...

Antonio Gates has never scored 14 TD in a season, mater of fact, his career high is 13 (and he's scored 10 twice).

Gronk had 40 some odd catches last year, 10 went for TD, that is an insanely good catch to TD ratio, he will be hard pressed to duplicate it.

I like Gronk - quite a bit actually, but 12-14 TD is palcing too lofty an expectation upon the young man, 50-60 catches, 600ish yards, 8 or so TD is a bit more realistic IMO.

Doesn't seem bold anymore, does it?
bostonsoxandy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bostonsoxandy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Sex Panther wrote:
bostonsoxandy wrote:
dgan wrote:I think you have to consider Hernandez like another WR. Gronkowski is going to be the conventional TE. The question is, if Branch, Ochocinco (and if Welker can't stay healthy) are struggling - if Brady is going to throw for 4200+ and 35+, someone else will need to contribute in a big way.

So there are a lot of ifs there, but when you look at his talent and the opportunity in that offense, that is the appeal of Hernandez. Gronk is going to get his...he's a low risk, low reward guy. Hernandez is the opposite - boom or bust.

1. The answer to your question about if Branch and Ocho struggle/Welker injured: Taylor Price.
2. Gronk's not a low reward guy. He had 500+ yds and 10 Td's as a rookie, people act like he can't do better. I can't remember a rookie TE who posted a 10 td season. In NE it's pretty obvious that Brady loves Gronk in the red-zone and I think Gronk should be a safe bet for 12-14 TD's at the least. The yardage will have to increase from last year as well. I'd bet money that Gronk finishes as a top-10 TE.

12-14 TD at least is a very, very bold statement...

Antonio Gates has never scored 14 TD in a season, mater of fact, his career high is 13 (and he's scored 10 twice).

Gronk had 40 some odd catches last year, 10 went for TD, that is an insanely good catch to TD ratio, he will be hard pressed to duplicate it.

I like Gronk - quite a bit actually, but 12-14 TD is palcing too lofty an expectation upon the young man, 50-60 catches, 600ish yards, 8 or so TD is a bit more realistic IMO.

I love to toot my own horn so here it goes one last time. Toot toot! There's a reason people listen to homers.
bostonsoxandy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back. Instead of tooting, how about offering your input on the two TE's this year.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Mr.Joshua » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:01 pm

Hey homer, just wanted to say hi and wish you good luck this season ;-D
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 226)

Postby bostonsoxandy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:06 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back. Instead of tooting, how about offering your input on the two TE's this year.

Wouldn't spend a first/early second on Gronk. That's crazy talk. He could repeat last year but I wouldn't expect it, which is what you are doing when spending a first/second rounder on him. I love Hernandez though this year, for the value you can get him in some leagues. Dude looks uncoverable in training camp.

Even though my favorite value right now for Pats players are Brandon Lloyd for all leagues and Branden Bolden for deeper leagues, dynasty leagues, keeper leagues. Bolden is BJGE 2.0 pretty much, might take a year to get the touches he needs though.
bostonsoxandy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:44 pm

There's a reason people listen to homers

That can be a double edged sword - many homers tend to overvalue the players on their fave team.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk