Total noob, thoughts on draft through round 5? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Total noob, thoughts on draft through round 5?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Total noob, thoughts on draft through round 5?

Postby lioness71 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi all, some background - I'm a complete noob not only to fantasy but to pro football as well, although I am a huge college fan so I do know the basics of the game itself. I just joined my friends' long-time league at the last minute under duress as a favor because someone dropped and they didn't want a bye week. We couldn't find a time where everyone was available, so we're doing an extended snake that is taking FOREVER (commish didn't set a time limit - not sure why). We've only just gotten through round 5 and I hope someone could let me know if I'm at least not making an a** of myself. My main concern is looking somewhat respectable since I haven't had time to even understand all the terminology, let alone do much research. I'm just kind of learning as a I go. And yes, I am a girl who likes dresses and heels, but I just replaced my toilet tank and valves by myself this weekend, so I can hold my own with the guys when I need to ;-)

League - 12 team, nonPPR, nonauction, required to draft 2 QB/TE/K/DST, 3 RB/TE, 1 wildcard. Weekly roster is 1 QB/TE/K/DST and 2RB/WE. I'm 7th pick.

Team through round 5: QB - Brees, RB - Blount, F. Jones, WR - White, TE - Davis. I opted for White early so I'm a little farther down in the RB corps than I would have liked. We were around 15th in WR depth chart in 5 but my gut told me to go w/ Davis. 6th pick will be best available WR, then best available RB/WR/TE in 7-10, best available QB, 2DSTs in 11-13, 2K in 14/15.

Thoughts/advice? I would offer WHIR, but I don't think you would want it. TIA.
lioness71
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Total noob, thoughts on draft through round 5?

Postby Knvb » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Update the best WRs and RBs left and how many picks till yours? See what we can do
Knvb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby lioness71 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:13 pm

Two more picks before me in round 6. Best available are below. Top four DSTs have been taken (Steelers, Packers, Jets, Eagles).

RB - Benson, Green-Ellis, Best, Grant, Jackson, Wells, Thomas. I'm iffy on Benson and Best and don't like Grant due to bye week.

WR - Holmes, Harvin, Lloyd, Britt, Smith, S. Johnson, S. Rice. Will take Harvin if I can, don't like Holmes due to to bye.
lioness71
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby bungle613 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:04 pm

lioness71 wrote:Two more picks before me in round 6. Best available are below. Top four DSTs have been taken (Steelers, Packers, Jets, Eagles).

RB - Benson, Green-Ellis, Best, Grant, Jackson, Wells, Thomas. I'm iffy on Benson and Best and don't like Grant due to bye week.

WR - Holmes, Harvin, Lloyd, Britt, Smith, S. Johnson, S. Rice. Will take Harvin if I can, don't like Holmes due to to bye.

First, welcome to the Cafe. Great place to learn the ropes and get some advice.

Here is an article I wrote for beginners... take a look, maybe it can help.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/2011 ... inners.php

AS for the problems at hand... Lots of quality players still on board. I thnk you need a RB first and foremost. I would go upside and take Best. If he hits, he is heads above the rest you have listed.

Only glaring mistake I see is that you took Brees in the first (at least I think you did) I have played for 20 years and have never drafted a QB in the first to my knowledge. It is a season killer more often than not. Good news is, you can recover.

Don't draft a kicker or D/ST until the last 2 rounds please. There is no need.

AS for the WR's left, I like Harvin, Holmes and Johnson in that order.

Good luck.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions