1st ever draft...please rate my roster - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

1st ever draft...please rate my roster

Moderator: Football Moderators

1st ever draft...please rate my roster

Postby BoldRuler » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:34 am

Hi All,
Had my first draft over the weekend. It's a 12 team non-PPR, non-keeper league. Standard scoring. I had the third pick.

QB: Tony Romo, Eli Manning
RB: Ray Rice, Frank Gore, Peyton Hillis, Willis McGahee, Javon Ringer
WR: Dez Bryant, Julio Jones, Robert Meachem, Danny Amendola, Antonio Brown
TE: Vernon Davis
DEF/ST: Bears
K: Mason Crosby

I drafted Ray Rice at 1.3, Gore at 2.10 and Peyton Hillis at 3.3. Going RB, RB, RB obviously cost me at WR, but I thought Dez is due to possibly move up to WR1 status.

I dunno, I guess I'm just wondering what experts would think. Is this a decent roster, should I have drafted a legit WR1 at 3.3?

Thanks!
BoldRuler Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 1st ever draft...please rate my roster

Postby bisklimpkit » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:26 am

You definitely did leave yourself thin at WR if you're looking for a top-end guy. It's going to be slim picking for points from your WRs, for sure. Can't say what you'd be able to package together from what you have in order to get a good WR, though. Is there a guy with an overabundance of talent at WR that you might be able to package something together for him? Also, how many WR do you start, and is there a flex spot? I really like the rest of your team, though. Maybe give it a couple weeks to see how the rest of your guys are putting out; with the strength you have in the other spots you may not need those extra WR points!
bisklimpkit
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Golden Eagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby BoldRuler » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks for the reply. We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Def, 1 K...no flex. I'll always start Dez and I guess it's just trying to find the 2nd WR for me.
BoldRuler Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby joheshy55 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:41 am

Not bad at all. Wr strength is terrible though. i wouldnt count on DEZ being a number 1 WR on a roster, yah he is good, you got the romo connection, and could very well be in the mix as a starting reciever by the end of the year. Robert maechem is ok except for the fact that Brees had TE he likes to throw too, lance moore, devery henderson, plus they 4 rb deep in backfield-another words could be inconsistant. I love Julio JOnes Rookie on the list, however he drops a lot of balls. Once he learns how not to drop so many balls he dangerous. Matt Ryan loves to throw to him even though roddy white is in mix on team shouldnt make a difference. Danny Ammendola is ok for PPR leagues and could very well be ok as back up. VErnon davis is solid TE pick. no back up te, not good should be able to find someone that will fit the spot though.

OVerall not bad at all. DEF and KICKers change yr to yr to doesnt really matter.
joheshy55
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BoldRuler » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:45 am

Thanks. This is a learning thing for me. So if you guys were in my spot (obviously not knowing who was still on the board) would you have left Peyton Hillis and gone for a more clear top WR at 3.3? Starting to feel like the Peyton Hillis selection may have really cost me.
BoldRuler Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby bisklimpkit » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:53 am

I have another draft on Wednesday (don't know where I'm picking yet) but I think I'll be looking for at least 2, possibly 3 WR with my first 5 picks. So, yes, if I were you I would have left Hillis on the board and gone with a WR at 3.3. The last 4 years I've gone RB, RB, WR, WR, QB with my first 5 picks. I lost the final my first year, won it years 2 and 3, and lost in the semis last year.
bisklimpkit
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Golden Eagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby jmog » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:50 am

You are solid at QB and RB but your WR position is a problem.

Going RB/RB/RB is not a bad thing (especially if you can start 3 RBs) but in the end I think you might end up having to trade one of the RBs to get a solid starting WR.

Mine? viewtopic.php?t=492936
jmog
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 25)

Postby Sex Panther » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:13 am

BoldRuler wrote:Hi All,
Had my first draft over the weekend. It's a 12 team non-PPR, non-keeper league. Standard scoring. I had the third pick.

QB: Tony Romo, Eli Manning
RB: Ray Rice, Frank Gore, Peyton Hillis, Willis McGahee, Javon Ringer
WR: Dez Bryant, Julio Jones, Robert Meachem, Danny Amendola, Antonio Brown
TE: Vernon Davis
DEF/ST: Bears
K: Mason Crosby

I drafted Ray Rice at 1.3, Gore at 2.10 and Peyton Hillis at 3.3. Going RB, RB, RB obviously cost me at WR, but I thought Dez is due to possibly move up to WR1 status.

I dunno, I guess I'm just wondering what experts would think. Is this a decent roster, should I have drafted a legit WR1 at 3.3?

Thanks!

QB - Romo is primed for a huge year IMO, Eli is a 12 team league starter, wonderful backup. Grades out as an "A" in my book.

RB - I love Rice, his value takes a hit in standard, but at 3 (assumimg Foster/AP went 1/2) you took the right guy IMO, Gore is an elite back when he's on the field, that's his problem - he's a serious injury risk. Can't really nit-pick Hillis as your RB3, I'm not very high on him - but as a 3rd RB he's solid - personally I would have gone w/ a WR. McGahee is more than adequate as your RB4, Ringer doesn't make sense to me, I think you would be better served w/ either Ricky Williams or Kendall Hunter/Anthony Dixon in his spot. Overall, another A.

WR - I like Dez as much as the next guy, and I always like pairing a WR w/ his QB if it makes sense, in this case it does, but I wouldn't be comfortable rolling w/ Dez as my WR1. Even more worried about your WR2, Julio is a special talent, no doubt about it & he's attached to a fantastic offense, but he is still a rookie WR. Meachem is boom or bust on a weekly basis. Amendola is a nice WR & I like his situation w/ McD-bag calling plays, he does however, take a serious hit in value in non-PPR formats. Brown is a decent sleeper play. IMO, you are going to struggle with consistency at WR all year. C-

TE - VD is an elite talent at the TE position, problem lies with the guy getting him the ball. B

K & D - Both solid options, B+

Overall I give this squad a solid B, WR is going to be a pain in the ass, no PPR helps you ot a little, but I really think you'll be frustrated more often than not w/ the lack of production you see from your WR slots on a weekly basis - unless of course Dez takes a big step & Julio lives upto the hype.

viewtopic.php?t=493032
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby BoldRuler » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:49 am

Just amazing information. Especially from Panther. I really appreciate the time you took to write this up. Really thoughtful, good insight.
Thanks!!!!
BoldRuler Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Roster Ratings