First Fantasy Team *Updated Yet Again* - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

First Fantasy Team *Updated Yet Again*

Moderator: Football Moderators

First Fantasy Team *Updated Yet Again*

Postby Apoplectic » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:58 am

Drafted my first ever team yesterday. A group of guys needed a 10th guy for a full league so I volunteered my services. Its a head to head points league with a snake draft pattern and I scored a 5th pick, 15 rounds; 2 RB's, 2 WR's, one RB/WR flex pick, one of everything else + back-ups. Here's a list of who I drafted in order.

Jamaal Charles
Peyton Hillis
Phillip Rivers
Brandon Lloyd
Dwayne Bowe
Vernon Davis
Packers D/ST
Joe Flacco
Marshawn Lynch
Wes Welker
Ricky Williams
David Akers*
Mike Williams**
Christian Ponder

*Dropped in favor of Josh Brown.
**Dropped in favor of Mike Tolbert.

I took a pretty big risk with Peyton Hillis, but I think he can follow up last years success. Christian Ponder was also kind of a impulse pick, the guy before me picked Tim Tebow and made a big deal about it lunging out and doing the Gator chomp, and being a Noles fan I yelled out Christian Ponder and looked him dead in the eyes like a madman. Hopefully McNabb's age shows and Ponder gets some good playing time.

Link to my team; Link to the league.

How do you think I did? Did I do alright, or did I blow it? WHIR
Last edited by Apoplectic on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Apoplectic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: First Fantasy Team

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi there, and welcome to the Cafe ;-D

You definitely didn't blow it - you have some risky guys and your team is a little bit "I was good in 2010, but now cross your fingers", but I think you made up for some of that with later picks as well. I think Hillis is fine as and RB2 this year, but I am guessing you overpaid a bit, that's all. If Lloyd and Orton stay connected I think he's a OK WR to pair with Bowe, and I love Vernon Davis in that spot and Lynch as your primary RB backup. The Packers D was way too early of a reach, and Flacco and Ponder scare me as QBs in a 10-team league, but if you can hit on Charles/Hillis and keep those WRs healthy and get some production from those spots you'll survive. Williams and Ponder are decent fliers, but both will likely end up as WW fodder once you start making cuts to cover byes, etc.

Right now I'd give you a B-/C+ with some upside, and if you hit the wire hard and often and get lucky on a few guys I could see you making the playoffs for sure ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FantasyLegend » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Your team looks solid. I don't exactly like Hillis this year, since I think he could possibly be a bust, but he will still be getting plenty of TD's to fuel your team every week. Charles is a great pick, and he has number 1 running back potential, and in my opinion, is the most talented back in the NFL. It's just that Thomas Jones takes away some of his carries, and vultures TD's that worries me. Rivers is a strong QB, and you should do well with him. And about Bowe/Lloyd, they are risk/reward players. Some experts believe they both won't have the type of season they had last year. Although I believe Bowe has a better chance of being a Top 10 guy, but it all depends on Cassel throwing him the ball. Lloyd scares me a little bit, but you have Welker on your bench so that's a nice back-up. For your flex play, I'd go with either Welker or Lynch. Nice team. I'd give it a B/B-. Check out my team at the link below, and give me a rating.

viewtopic.php?t=493077
"If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?" - Vince Lombardi
FantasyLegend
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Apoplectic » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:50 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:Ponder scares me as QB in a 10-team league

Eh, I did have some reasoning behind the pick, McNabb is up their in years and has been fairly injury prone the last few years and I believe it could lead to both Joe Webb and Ponder getting their hands on the ball. Both are not really experienced (granted Webb more so than Ponder), but since Ponder is used to a running offense he could pair well with Peterson.

I'll post the link to the league when the rosters are put in, It was an offline draft so it will be a while.
Apoplectic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 14)

Re: First Fantasy Team *Now With Links*

Postby pommona22 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:00 pm

thanks for the reply...

Qb cant get any better however i do have some concerns with your WRs and Rb2, i would definitely try and get Hardesty in case/when Hilis gets hurt and i dont really trust lynch as a Rb2, your team is a gambling one and will be very up and down with lloyd and bowe as your WR, overall tho but if they perform anywhere close to what they did last year then you are a lock for the playoffs...
pommona22
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: First Fantasy Team *Now With Links*

Postby mase088 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:44 pm

I think Team Jolly in your league has the best team, but you're not far off. If the players you have repeat last year, you could be every bit as good as him and more.

If Stafford stays healthy, I think his team will be the biggest contender.
mase088
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 4)

Re: First Fantasy Team *Updated Yet Again*

Postby bosoxfan390 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:33 pm

Team definitely has upside, but is also pretty risky. I dont see both Bowe and Lloyd having repeat performances and i think you picked Hillis too early in 2nd round, little too pricey in my opinion. I do love getting Rivers in 3rd round tho so that makes up for it, i believe with VJax whole year and Gates healthy again hes in line for a monster year. I think Welker is best option for flex, as hes fully healthy this year and Brady always looks his way, i see 100+ receptions this year for him again.

What do you think of mine? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=493390
bosoxfan390
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Roster Ratings