How is this team, and how can it be improved? *WHIR* - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

How is this team, and how can it be improved? *WHIR*

Moderator: Football Moderators

How is this team, and how can it be improved? *WHIR*

Postby riotide » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:41 pm

Hey, I just drafted in the league I really care about most, and with 6th pick I feel like I somewhat struggled. I am curious what people think about this team and how it could be improved. Any tips or input is appreciated.

12 Team, Non-PPR Snake Draft

QB Matthew Stafford, Det QB
RB Maurice Jones-Drew, Jac RB
RB Felix Jones, Dal RB
RB/WR Mario Manningham, NYG WR
WR Greg Jennings, GB WR
WR Mike Wallace, Pit WR
TE Antonio Gates, SD TE
D/ST Rams D/ST
K Alex Henery, Phi K

Bench Jonathan Stewart, Car RB
Bench Malcom Floyd, SD WR
Bench Michael Bush, Oak RB
Bench Reggie Bush, Mia RB
Bench Mike Sims-Walker, StL WR
Bench Mike Williams, Sea WR
Bench Jason Campbell, Oak QB

Obviously Stafford is risky, but I think if he stays healthy it could pay off.
riotide
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: How is this team, and how can it be improved? *WHIR*

Postby Bravos of Steel » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:56 pm

QB - A little bit iffy. Stafford staying healthy is a HUGE if. No one has ever doubted his raw talent, and he has got some crazy good weapons around him. However, if he does stay healthy, I would agree with you that he could pay off HUGE. Jason Campbell is also a pretty weak backup QB

WR - Wow. How did you get both Jennings AND Wallace?? These guys are both sure fire producers, and have the potential to end up in the top 5 WRs. Unbelievable job here. Manningham also serves as a low risk, medium to high reward play at flex. Excellent job.

RB - Maurice Jones Drew is a perennial stud in the league today, and he should be able to stay healthy and produce like a top tier RB1. Felix Jones has looked crazy good during the preseason as well, and I believe he's in for a breakout year. Solid job here as well.

TE - Do I need to say anything? Antonio Gates is a monster, and rounds out a sickening group of receivers for you.

DEF - You may wanna look elsewhere than St. Louis for defenses. While I can see how they could be enticing playing in the NFC West, I haven't really seen much out of them aside from Laurinaitis.

Overall, an excellent team. I'd be shocked if you didn't finish in the top 2 or 3 in the league.

Help with me?

viewtopic.php?t=492973
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby HomerJay » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:58 pm

For a 12 man non-PPR you did good.

You have to like Stafford as your QB this year, I have him as well. The definition of risk/reward with an unlimited ceiling this year. I always look to WR core to determine how far people will go. You have a great core with Wallace, Jennings, Mario and MSW. Well done. It's your RB depth that I'm a little concerned with. MJD..you know the story. Still a stud with an ounce of concern. Felix will be the steal of the draft this year. If he stays healthy...I see top 7 back next year. Guy has been unreal in pre-season this year. Jstew is still a split on an awfull offense with a great O line however. If CAR can't sustain drives than Jstew is sunk without an injury to Dwill. Reggie will be exposed quickly as a fraud by week 2 or 3 is my guess. Bush is a tough runner...needs DMC to go down.

you have a great core of players...I'd look to beef up the RBs when the season starts. For now....hang tight.

nice job ;-D
He who laughs last...thinks slowest
HomerJay
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy Expert

Postby ms1568 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:58 pm

QB - Stafford is risky pick with a high upside. You may try to find a better backup, if not just for Stafford's bye week (Campbell vs. Denver isn't too bad).

RB - This is your weak point. MJD is stud, Felix looks to be a stud, I like Michael Bush if he gets more carries, and I'm not a fan of Carolina's RB situation. I would wash myself of Reggie if I were you and look at Rashad Jennings as a MUST HAVE for MJD.

WR - Great picks. Other than Sims-Walker (things look evenly spread in St. Louis), I think you're in a great spot.

TE - Gates is Gates. Enough said. Just be prepared for an injury.

DEF - St. Louis should do "OK," but I would still consider looking elsewhere. See if Detroit is still available or for cheap trade if nothing better.

Hope this helps, and thanks for mine!
ms1568
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby AshrafAmaya » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:49 pm

QB: Matt Stafford is on the cusp of stardom. He will be a stud if he can avoid injury. What round did you get him in? I recently did a mock draft; drafted Stafford in the 9th, and Bradford in the 11th for insurance. I"m not really high on Jason Campbell as your backup.

RB: The wildcard is MJD. I hope his meniscus holds up; I would defintely try to try to get Rashad Jennings for insurance purposes. Felix Jones will FUN to watch this year in that healthy Cowboy Offense.

WR: By far the bread and butter of your squad. Manningham will put up huuge numbers as your Flex. MSW + Josh McDaniels = Rejuvenation / huge upside

TE: I think Gates will be a top 3 TE yet again this year. I have a feeling Philip Rivers and that O will be playing with a chip on their shoulder, and will put points up in bunches.

DEF: St. Louis should be suffice. I would try to look elsewhere. See if the Miami D is still out there. They are vastly under-rated (ie. Cam Wake....Go BC LIONS!)

Cheers,

Ashraf
AshrafAmaya
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby riotide » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:57 pm

Thanks guys. I took Stafford in the 9th. I feel like I may have been able to wait until the 10th, but I didn't want to miss him, as he was my game plan all along.
riotide
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby misterf » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:11 pm

thanks for the help with mine.

Your team looks solid. Especially in a 12-team league I think you did very well to avoid any major holes in your starting roster.

I'm not a big fan of the Rams at defense....if you can upgrade there i think it would be worth it. Or i guess you could always steam defenses with good matchups whenever the Rams have a tough opponent.

As many have mentioned, Stafford has great upside, but there is some real risk involved. Considering that risk, I would seriously try to upgrade your back-up QB situation. The Raiders are the definition of disfunctional, and I'm not sure how much I would trust Campbell even if he was in a better situation. If you end up on the wrong side for the risk/reward for Stafford I think you need a better plan-b than Campbell.

But as long as you avoid the injury bug, you should be one of the teams to beat.
misterf
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby x7turtle7x » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:14 pm

I don't want to discredit your draft, because you did great, but you must have been drafting with idiots to get Jennings, Wallace, Felix Jones, AND Antonio Gates in a 12 team league...
"You know the guy who stands at the end of the checkout that says, 'Paper or Plastic?' Yeah, thats Ricky Williams, his brain moves at the speed of cold honey.."
x7turtle7x
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: Phoenix Arizona, all the way to Tacoma, Philadelphia, Atlanta, LA,

Postby riotide » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:50 pm

x7turtle7x wrote:I don't want to discredit your draft, because you did great, but you must have been drafting with idiots to get Jennings, Wallace, Felix Jones, AND Antonio Gates in a 12 team league...

I'll take this as a good sign for my team then haha. ;-D
riotide
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby usclerkguy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:11 pm

Nice job!!! If Stafford stays healthy he will pay very nice dividends!!! Hopefully you will only have to use Campbell for bye week! Great WRs!!! Like Manningham in the flex! Very good job! You can get D/ST off waivers each week depending on matchups! Good luck!!!

mine.... viewtopic.php?t=493141
"Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat."---"Classy" Freddie Blassie
usclerkguy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Roster Ratings