Co-commishner controversy WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Co-commishner controversy WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Co-commishner controversy WHIR

Postby trevizzle » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:42 am

So I am playing in a 10 man league, and a good friend of mine is the current commissioner. He recently gave his cousin co-commissioner powers in order to lighten the workload as he is currently working/school/family.

Recently, without telling anyone the cousin used his co-commissioner powers to change the league scoring format before the draft. He changed numerous scoring categories to how he felt they should be. He also decided to use the yahoo division system, and he put himself with the weaker 5 teams, and he put myself and the current commissioner in a league with much more competitive teams. and he did all of these things without consulting with the official commissioner, or asking the league for their opinion.

so then my friend before the draft, changed back all of the settings and told him not to do anything like that again without consulting the entire league before doing so. He also warned him, that if he were to do something like that again, that he would be stripped of his co-commissioner powers. The league then drafted, and post draft his cousin changed all of the settings back to what he wanted. And my friend subsequently stripped him of all of his powers, and changed back the settings.

Now understand that they are cousins, so family does play a role in the outcome/possible controversy that this will create.

But my two questions are this, was my friend (the official commissioner) incorrect in his decision making? And secondly, what is my role in this? I would like to voice my opinion, but it's tough as they are all family.

thanks for your help guys.
leave a link.
trevizzle

The Golden Boy!!
trevizzle
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Co-commishner controversy WHIR

Postby Cleokatrah » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:42 am

If it were my league, I would have booted him altogether, family or not. In every league I run, all scoring and roster changes are proposed to the owners and are allowed to be discussed. Therefore, I would take great offense (and would assume the owners would too) if changes were made without these discussions.

However, any person I appoint to co-commish would be trustworthy and I would make sure we were on the same page as far as where we both see the league. It sounds like your friend's decision to promote him was hasty and not well thought out. It also sounds like the cousin is flat out cheating. Kudos to your friend for being stern about it.

As far as you voicing your concerns/thoughts, a commish should always be made aware of owner discomfort/etc. I'm going to guess that you're not the only owner he'd hear from either. If your opinions are the same as the majority, though, you might want to keep your statements succint, just to let your position on the matter be known.

if it's possible at this point, you might suggest the owners voting upon another co commish if he still needs help.
Cleokatrah
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Co-commishner controversy WHIR

Postby Hags888 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:48 am

What the co-commissioner did was wrong. Any major scoring changes should be discussed with the whole league before making changes. Ideally your league has a constitution that helps spell out what would happen in a change of power scenario from one commissioner to another, or at the very least, how the league will handle any scoring/format changes. That reminds me, I should update ours! In any case, I'd say that your role as an owner is to express whatever you want to your league commissioner, and you shouldn't feel the need to apologize for it. If you think it was wrong for the cousin to make the changes, and feel the commish was justified in booting him, express that. If you disagree with the booting, express that. It never hurts to inform those in a position of authority how you feel about decisions they make. It can only help them when they have to make similar decisions in the future. Just remember to be courteous and professional though...if you're a jerk about it, then the authority figure will resent you, and that's never good.
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner