First draft, no preparation, looks like it! HELP! WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

First draft, no preparation, looks like it! HELP! WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

First draft, no preparation, looks like it! HELP! WHIR

Postby pman555 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:37 am

Hey everyone, this was my first draft this season, I had no time to prepare for it, and I think the roster shows it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had the 5th pick, Rodgers went first, followed by Peterson, Rice, and Jamaal Charles.

My quick strategy was to get a top RB, top QB, top WR, and top TE with my first 4 picks. Then fill in the rest with decent WRs and RBs since you never really know who will emerge at those positions.

I'm thinking my 2nd RB choice wasnt great, but there were not many available in the 6th round.
I'm sure I need another starting WR.

12 Team - PPR - 6pts per TD throwing - 1st year of a 1 player keeper league

QB - Philip Rivers
RB - LeSean McCoy
RB - Cedric Benson
WR - Mike Wallace
WR - Mario Manningham
WR - Steve Smith (Carolina)
WR/TE - Antonio Gates
D/ST - Saints
K - Billy Cundiff
BE - Joseph Addai
BE - Devone Bess
BE - James Starks
BE - Mike Williams (Seattle)
BE - Darren Sproles
BE - Emmanuel Sanders
BE - Jason Avant
Last edited by pman555 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for the sig, deluxe_247!
pman555
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: First draft, no preparation, looks like it! HELP! WHIR

Postby RC7112 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:11 am

Love the Rivers & McCoy Pick's in the PPR/6pt throwing TD league...obviously you're going to lose out on some RB/WR depth if you grab Gates, but he's an absolute monster...Not a fan of Benson but I think Addai/Starks will actually have a good year and be good options. Your team is very balanced, especially for a 12 team league - my only concern is WR, but thats on;y because I'm not a big Manningham fan & Steve Smith is a question mark. Good draft though

12 Team - PPR - 6pts per TD throwing - 1st year of a 1 player keeper league

QB - Philip Rivers
RB - LeSean McCoy
RB - Cedric Benson
WR - Mike Wallace
WR - Mario Manningham
WR - Steve Smith (Carolina)
WR/TE - Antonio Gates
D/ST - Saints
K - Billy Cundiff
BE - Joseph Addai
BE - Devone Bess
BE - James Starks
BE - Mike Williams (Seattle)
BE - Darren Sproles
BE - Roscoe Parrish
BE - Jason Hill
RC7112
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 18)

Postby pman555 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:28 pm

Thanks for your input.
Anyone else?
pman555
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby P1Army » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:57 pm

you need receiver help bad, Manning ham will be good not great, Bess is ok not good, Steve smith with cam newton is not a great option, and Mike williams with Tavaris Jackson is not a good option. Roscoe Parrish and Jason Hill...Whiff and Whiff....do some research and try to salvage your WRs...I've been saying a ton on this site but i don't mind repeating it...look for #2/#3 receivers on the following teams...Eagles, Rams, Cardinals, Steelers, Falcons...if there are guys there that are still available replace parrish immediately...and look at Jones, Having a better camp but recovering from concussion.
Send questions direct to my twitter account @gallegosdavidm
P1Army
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby pman555 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:08 pm

P1Army wrote:you need receiver help bad, Manning ham will be good not great, Bess is ok not good, Steve smith with cam newton is not a great option, and Mike williams with Tavaris Jackson is not a good option. Roscoe Parrish and Jason Hill...Whiff and Whiff....do some research and try to salvage your WRs...I've been saying a ton on this site but i don't mind repeating it...look for #2/#3 receivers on the following teams...Eagles, Rams, Cardinals, Steelers, Falcons...if there are guys there that are still available replace parrish immediately...and look at Jones, Having a better camp but recovering from concussion.

Thanks for your very informative response!

The following receivers are available currently via waivers:
Marcus Easley (who is projecting to be the #2 in Buffalo, in front of Jones)
Arrelious Benn
Emmanuel Sanders
Nate Washington
Titus Young
Golden Tate
Jason Avant
Brandon Tate
Brandon LaFell
Eddie Royal
Donnie Avery
Danario Alexander
Devery Henderson

Are any of those worth dumping Parish for?
Thanks again.
pman555
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Apoplectic » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:18 pm

Good first two picks. Benson will not be as good as he has in the past couple years, due to having to go from a experienced QB to a rookie one. Could have had better WR's probably, but definitely not a disaster.

As far as I can tell, I give this roster a C+/B-

Washington is twice the RW Parish is, IMO he is the best from that list.

Help with mine?: viewtopic.php?t=493264
Apoplectic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 14)

Postby Conrax » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:26 pm

Let's start with the good: The good is that you have Phillips Rivers, LeSean McCoy in PPR is beast, little concern with Gates because of the foot. Mike Wallace not one my favorites for WR1 but should work out for you. Sproles should be interesting could end being similar to what Bush did in New Orleans but better which will help because this for a PPR league. If Starks does get the starting job it could improve your roster. You also have a good defense and a serviceable kicker.

The bad: I am not a fan of any player, this year, on the Seattle offense or Cincy offense because of QB play. So that includes Benson and Mike Williams (North/SEA). Benson will get the carries but his yard per carry is horrible. Your depth particularly on WR is not great. Get rid of Parrish and Hill, see if Amendola is available because he led the Rams with most receptions and redzone targets and in PPR that is what you need. You can take a gamble on Antonio Brown as he has had a good preseason, only thing is when Sanders comes who knows what will happen. I doubt it but other names that will be better then suggested is: Lee Evans, Jacoby Ford, Julio Jones. But in a 12 team more then likely these names may have been taken. Another option is look and see who emerges out of the St Louis as WRs even though I mentioned Amendola, I really have not seen many Rams WRs drafted, mainly because none of them have stood out in the preseason so far, only Sims-Walker and Amendola are the only ones, but at this point it is about taking a chance and seeing what happens. P1Army is right look for #2 and #3 receivers on the teams he suggested, I gave you some of the Rams and Steelers, Eagles #3 would be Steve Smith that came from the Giants and I believe the #3 for the Falcons is Harry Douglas.

Rate mine:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=493171&p=3327875#
Conrax
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Conrax » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:32 pm

pman555 wrote:
P1Army wrote:you need receiver help bad, Manning ham will be good not great, Bess is ok not good, Steve smith with cam newton is not a great option, and Mike williams with Tavaris Jackson is not a good option. Roscoe Parrish and Jason Hill...Whiff and Whiff....do some research and try to salvage your WRs...I've been saying a ton on this site but i don't mind repeating it...look for #2/#3 receivers on the following teams...Eagles, Rams, Cardinals, Steelers, Falcons...if there are guys there that are still available replace parrish immediately...and look at Jones, Having a better camp but recovering from concussion.

Thanks for your very informative response!

The following receivers are available currently via waivers:
Marcus Easley (who is projecting to be the #2 in Buffalo, in front of Jones)
Arrelious Benn
Emmanuel Sanders
Nate Washington
Titus Young
Golden Tate
Jason Avant
Brandon Tate
Brandon LaFell
Eddie Royal
Donnie Avery
Danario Alexander
Devery Henderson

Are any of those worth dumping Parish for?
Thanks again.

out of those you listed, I would look at Sanders (just be careful he is coming off an injury and Antonio Brown has been impressive this preseason), Titus Young, Arrelious Benn, and Donnie Avery I would rather have most of those then Parrish simply because of better offenses.
Conrax
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Irish Drunk » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:00 pm

After McCoy the RB situation is a bit murky. I'm not a Benson fan although he is the clear #1 there. Cinci will be down early and often so will need to pass and Benson can't catch. I'm not a fan of Addai either but in a PPR format he is more valuable. Starks I'm not sure about. As far as WR go, I'm not overly impressed with what you've assembled. Wallace is a top 10 but doesn't get alot of catches. Smith is in a terrible situation in CAR and the best hope for him is a trade out of there. I like Manningham and Bess though. I'd drop Parrish and grab Avant, he is the slot receiver in a pass friendly offense.

Whose the backup QB???

Looks to me like a sloppy draft but to be honest the team does have some potential with a couple of tweaks here and there.
Trash Talkin Boozers League Champion 2008 & 2009, Super Bowl Champion 2010
Irish Drunk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pman555 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Irish Drunk wrote:After McCoy the RB situation is a bit murky. I'm not a Benson fan although he is the clear #1 there. Cinci will be down early and often so will need to pass and Benson can't catch. I'm not a fan of Addai either but in a PPR format he is more valuable. Starks I'm not sure about. As far as WR go, I'm not overly impressed with what you've assembled. Wallace is a top 10 but doesn't get alot of catches. Smith is in a terrible situation in CAR and the best hope for him is a trade out of there. I like Manningham and Bess though. I'd drop Parrish and grab Avant, he is the slot receiver in a pass friendly offense.

Whose the backup QB???

Looks to me like a sloppy draft but to be honest the team does have some potential with a couple of tweaks here and there.

I almost never draft a backup QB. I would have drafted a backup only if i drafted Vick.
Sloppy definitely, as I didnt have any time to prepare.

I think i'll look at Avant as a replacement for Parrish.
pman555
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Roster Ratings