Did I Make Up For Bad Draft Position? WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

Did I Make Up For Bad Draft Position? WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Did I Make Up For Bad Draft Position? WHIR

Postby Wags » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:48 pm

Since I got second place in my 10-owner league last season, I had the unfortunate position of drafting second to last (9th overall). The draft didn't fall the way I was hoping, and the top 7 RBs were off the board by the time it was my turn to draft so I tried to draft as best as I could and go for lots of upside....so besides being weak at RB, what do you think of my team? Basic Rules. Start QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, Flex (RB or WR), TE, Def, K.

Leave your link, I'll give you a helping hand! Thanks in advance!

QB: Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford
RBs: Matt Forte, LeGarrette Bount, Javid Best, Mike Tolbert, James Starks, Issacc Redman
WRs: Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Danny Amendola
TE: Greg Olsen
DEF: San Diego
K: Mason Crosby
Wags
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Did I Make Up For Bad Draft Position? WHIR

Postby pman555 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:38 pm

You sure are shallow at RB, but you've got a pretty good WR corps.
The TE position isnt too great either. Too bad its not a WR/TE slot.
I'd also love to see you upgrade at the QB position as Ryan isnt really at the top level yet.

Its going to be an interesting decision as to who to start at the flex slot each week.

Help me?
viewtopic.php?t=493214
Thanks for the sig, deluxe_247!
pman555
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Conrax » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:56 pm

I think your roster is not bad at all, some people like the last pick in a snake because of the back to back picks others like top picks unfortunately you didn't have much choice.

To the actual roster:
QB: 8
RB:7
WR: 8
TE:8

QB: Your QBs are going to be interesting, because Matt Ryan does have more weapons surrounding him and he is using those weapons as seen in the last preseason game he went 22-42 in the first half against Pittsburgh. And then you have Stafford who hasn't played a full season, only 13 games, if he stays healthy could possibly end up being a top 5 QB because Detroit wants to use that passing game. But as it stands right now not elite QBs but have high upside.

RB: Yes you don't have any elite RBs, but I think you should be fine. I like Forte he has been consistent even if Cutler hasn't so he should be a good starter and then you follow it up with Blount who I just like that Tampa Bay offense, so young so talented, and he looks like he could be good for another season. Best's health is an obvious concern but your depth more then makes up for it and if Best can stay healthy the better for you. If Starks does get the starting job it just makes this roster even better. But you can think of it this way you have right now you have 3 RB2s, some might argue that Forte could be a RB1 but since this is a 10 team league he is a RB2, and then depending on what happens with Starks you could end up with another RB2 either way great depth. Though Redman is there only if Mendenhall goes down so a bit of risk that may or may not shake out.

WR: I like your WRs until it gets to the depth. Obviously Andre Johnson as your WR1 and then getting Calvin as your WR2 is awesome. Santonio Holmes works well as a WR3. I am not liking Edwards and Amendola. Edwards to me is very average at best and there are others out there at probably that same ADP you could have gotten like Floyd, Lee Evans, Julio Jones are some that come to mind. I like Amendola only for PPR because of the amount of receptions and rezone targets he gets coming out of the slot. But other then that the other WRs for St Louis have not been that impressive.

TE: Not sure what will happen with Greg Olsen, he is obviously the better TE in Carolina as Jeremy Shockey is older and seems fine with blocking but with a rookie QB I think Olsen will be used to help with the blocking to give Cam Newton more time. He could end being a safety blanket for Newton but who knows. May want to consider picking up another TE possibly like Jared Cook, but I wouldn't go out of my way just to get another TE.

Overall: I like your overall roster has upside, your WRs are obviously your best part, but your RBs should be solid. Would think about possibly changing up some of the depth possibly picking another TE. But I really wouldn't change much.

Rate mine:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=493171&p=3327875#p3327875
Conrax
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Irish Drunk » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:51 pm

In a 10 team league I don't think there is such a thing as bad draft position. I think you have a solid roster that has plenty of upside. While yuu lack an elite RB you compensate with what i feel will be the two best WR's this year in J&J. Holmes is potentially a top 10 WR as well, depending upon Sanchez' progress. I'm loving both Ryan and Stafford this year and could see both in the top 10 QB's. I also think Olsen is a TE that can sneak into the top 10 as he should act as Newton's go to guy. My buddy is a huge Bears fan and he was devastated at the loss of Olsen who he said had the best hands on the team.

K & DEF - Can't go wrong with either of these picks.

Depth - I don't see an issue here, although I can see you dropping Redman sooner than later.

Overall - I wouldn't be suprised to see you finish in the top 3 this season. You should rule week in and out at WR and hold your own at QB and RB.
Trash Talkin Boozers League Champion 2008 & 2009, Super Bowl Champion 2010
Irish Drunk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Roster Ratings