New to Fantasy Football!!! Please HELP with Starters! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Who to Start/Bench

New to Fantasy Football!!! Please HELP with Starters!

Moderator: Football Moderators

New to Fantasy Football!!! Please HELP with Starters!

Postby aalkatrio » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:27 pm

This is my first Fantasy Football draft and my friends involved are all experienced players. This was a live 12 man snake draft, and I don't want to ask them for help because I don't know if they'll steer me in the wrong direction in order to win, so I'm asking for help. I already drafted a team and I was wondering if I should keep my starters or start swapping players. Also, I would like opinions if my team is descent or not. Again, I don't know much about football so I'll take any advice, thank you in advanced.

Starters:
QB: Ben Roethlisberger
RB: Rashard Mendenhall
RB: LeSean McCoy
RB/WR: Felix Jones
WR: Dez Bryant
WR: Braylon Edwards
TE: Jimmy Graham
D/ST: Chargers
K: Alex Henery

Bench:

Santana Moss
Willis McGahee
Lance Moore
Tim Hightower
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Todd Heap
Derrick Ward
aalkatrio
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: New to Fantasy Football!!! Please HELP with Starters!

Postby curtk » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:38 pm

You've got some players that I wouldn't have targeted, but that doesn't make them bad. Overall, your team looks very competitive, especially for your first one.

One glaring thing: I don't like carrying a backup TE because most backup TEs are not worth rostering for weeks, taking up a roster space until you need them. Better to pick up a free agent TE with a good matchup at the time you need them, and use the roster spot to hold onto a WR or RB who has a lot of upside and could break out. I normally like that same strategy for QB, too. If you drop Fitzpatrick, he may remain available for you to pick up in week 11 when Ben has his bye. (Even if he's not, you may find a Garrard, Sanchez, Campbell or someone similar with a good matchup for that week.) If Ben had an early bye, then that might change my strategy, or if you had Peyton, then that would change things, too. Of course, you could need a backup QB sooner if Ben gets injured, but you're pretty much in the same boat, just a little earlier than week 11.

Anyway, dropping your 2nd QB may be too much risk for you, but I'd strongly advise you to drop Heap and try to find a good RB or WR. Maybe Roy Helu or Ben Tate is available, for instance (if someone hasn't handcuffed them).

FWIW, I'm not a fan of handcuffing. I prefer to go for the most upside and maybe end up with more startable RBs and WRs than I need...good trade bait!

Good luck! Help with mine?

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=493337

Thanks!
curtk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 9)

Re: New to Fantasy Football!!! Please HELP with Starters!

Postby aalkatrio » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:38 am

Thank you very much for your advice. Unfortunately there really isn't anyone left in the free agent pool that I can tell (I don't have any real depth with football players so there might be some no names that I'm missing), except I was thinking Antonio Brown. I did drop Derrick Mason for Derrick Ward in case Arian Foster gets hurt, since I read he has a hamstring problem. I think I'm good on Running Backs though, so I took him for trading purposes. I really think my weakness is Wide Receivers, hence why I was looking into Antonio Brown. I don't know if he is a good pick up and I don't know who I want to drop if I decide to. The reason why I drafted Todd Heap was because it was late in the draft and a lot of good Tight Ends were drafted already in my league so I figured I'd take him incase he's a sleeper and gets really good, or I can use him in a trade.

As for your team, I really don't know much but I think it looks good.

Anymore suggestions and thoughts about my team and what I should do would be greatly appreciated, thank you again in advance.
aalkatrio
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 4)

Return to Who to Start/Bench