1.12 and 2.1 Draft Strategy - please help! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

1.12 and 2.1 Draft Strategy - please help!

Moderator: Football Moderators

1.12 and 2.1 Draft Strategy - please help!

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:40 pm

This is killing me, please help.

Non PPR, standard scoring except passing TDs count for 6 so QBs tend to go higher than in most mock drafts.

Lineup is QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, WR/RBflex, TE, D, K.

Given the flex option of a third RB, RBs are drafted higher than most mocks and are more valuable.

My choices for my 1 and 2 picks are: RBs F Gore, SJax, M Forte, S Green etc. Yuck.
WRs: VJax, A Johnson, L Fitz
QB: Rivers, Brady, Brees, P Manning

My main issue in a nutshell is this: given the above first round RBs are huge risks/overrated IMHO, I would like to take WR, WR (say, A Johnson, VJax) The problem is I would then need to use my 3rd and 4th round picks on RBs most likely leaving me M Schuab, Joe Flacco or Eli Manning as my QB. In ten years, no one has ever won our league without a top 5 QB (6 points per passing TD).
If I take WR, QB (say Brady or Brees) with my first two picks and use 4 and 5 on RBs, I still have the same problem with the QBs that I do with the available RBs here: I feel like they will not finish where they are being drafted/I feel a changing of the guard coming at QB this year.
SO - Do I take WR QB? Do I roll the dice and hope a quality QB falls to 5.12? Or do I do something completely different?

WHIR WHIR WHIR WHIR!!

Thanks
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 30)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 1.12 and 2.1 Draft Strategy - please help!

Postby Egg2828 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:13 pm

I never draft a top 5 QB and am always in the hunt. Same format. 2wr 2rb 1qb 1flex

WAIT and get Romo/Shaub in the 5-6th round along with 2rb 2wr and a flex..Thats rock solid. Let Rodgers vick brady brees go. To expensive IMO.

At your current draft slot if AJ is there take him 100%..then I take Calvin

3rd 4th...Grab best RB there.
Money $hot
Egg2828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 36)

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:41 pm

That is EXACTLY what I would LIKE to do unfortunately Romo and the like are all usually gone by the 5th round in our league. Usually there are 10 QBs off the board by the end of the 5th and my spot is 5.12 hence the dilemma. Chances are I will be stuck with Eli or Flacco.
I know with almost complete certainty Calvin will be gone before I even pick.

....I am leaning towards just rolling the dice and hoping a QB falls to me, but it would SUCK to end up with Eli as my QB. He has been AWFUL so far this year.
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bisklimpkit » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:45 pm

I think Forte is going to be good for more points than any WR you're going to grab, so I'd take Forte and Andre Johnson with those picks, get another WR and RB at 3/4 (order based on who you feel has the highest ceiling) and go QB in 5 or 6. The QB field is stacked this year, and I don't think the difference betwen the top 5 QBs and the next 7 QBs is drastic enough to miss out on a solid WR or RB in the first four rounds. I'd honestly be really tempted to go with Stafford in a late round, as if he stays healthy he's going to be one of the top 5 QBs.
bisklimpkit
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Golden Eagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 132)

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:51 pm

More and more I am leaning in that direction: wait until 5 on the QB.

Will say this about Forte, I was completely ready to draft him until I saw some of the Bears preseason games. Holy. Moley. It is a miracle Jay Cutler isn't a parapalegic. I am just not sure the Bears are going to be able to compile enough first downs to make Forte worth drafting. I mean they looked TERRIBLE.

But then again they did last year too.
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby JC.89 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:56 pm

To be honest, I would grab Steven Jackson and a QB. In PPR, I'd say to go receiver, but in standard scoring WR's are too erratic.

With a top end QB and hopefully consistent yardage out of Jackson, you'll have a strong foundation for a good team.
JC.89
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 5)

Postby DemonDeacon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks for help on mine. I think that WR/WR might not be a bad choice if you pair up an AJ/VJax or something of the sort. I dont really like the RB talent pool at 12/13 much better than your 3rd/4th rd talent. Id look to WR/WR and then look to pair em up with DWill/Moreno/Felix if at all possible
Eastmont League 10-3 (2nd Seed)
Wenatchee League 9-4 (2nd Seed)
Urine Trouble League 6-7 (6th seed boooya!!!)
DemonDeacon
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Knvb » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:58 pm

A.Johnson for sure.... lots of prospects at QB with Stafford and Bradford that could fall and grab both later.... and those RB's arent spectacular A.Johnson is
I did take two early QB's but start 2 and 2 teams had stacked RBs and WRs early and no QB's so i felt it was a better strategy since their teams looked amazing but if i started a QB run they would be left with junk... which they have

WHIR!

viewtopic.php?t=493327
Knvb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby robotninja » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:01 pm

I have seen Mendenhall available around 1.12 frequently if there is the vick/rodgers run in round 1. I would take him and best available WR AJ would be great. There is some good value in round 3 at rb with guys like felix jones and lagarrete blount, i think either one would be a viable rb2.
10 Team Std Scoring No PPR
QB Stafford
RB Spiller
RB Morris
WR Nelson
WR Reggie Wayne
WR/TE Jimmy Graham
Flex Ridley
K and Def by committee
Min and Hartley

Bench
A Brown (pit)
Bernard Pierce
Roy Helu
Bryce Brown
Mark Ingram
Marlon Brown
robotninja
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 29)

Postby tah161 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:41 pm

What I would do is grab top teir RB and wide out with your first 2 picks

Wait on the QB and grab Peyton Manning late in the 5th early 6th. With maybe not starting the season he could possibly slide that far. Then take Jason Campbell a little bit later. Or you can just sit on Campbell who has a freakish amount of weapons around him. This is also i think the first time in his career where he has had the same playbook for 2 straight years.

I would take Andre Johson and Roddy if they are there. Then grab Felix and another solid back, then go QB and another RB you should be set. I would say grab a TE, as in my PPR leagues I usually grab two tight ends that will catch a ton of balls, but you are not in a PPR league and TE touchdowns are hard to predict.

You may get lucky this year and have a RB slide to yuo in the first or second round that you didnt think would slide, so just keep your hopes, and see if Manning slides and as last resort take Jason Campbell.
tah161
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions