Sorting out the OAK receivers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sorting out the OAK receivers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sorting out the OAK receivers

Postby spodog » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:49 am

This group has been an interesting one to observe through the preseason and seems to me to be one that a lot of folks are going to make big mistakes on (or already have) when drafting their FF team.

Jacoby Ford Probably the only sure thing in the group. A lock to start, although he also seems over-valued in a number of drafts that I've seen so far. A low WR2/WR3 for fantasy at best. May have some big games but consistency will be a challenge.

Murphy Listed as a backup on OAK's official depth chart, but likely to end up with more catches than Heyward-Bey by the end of the year. Seems likely to be much more valuable in PPR than in standard format. Not sure he's even draftable outside of a deep 12+ team PPR league.

Heyward-Bey Hardcore Raider fans are excited again, but this guy will be a waste of a fantasy roster spot yet again.

Chaz Schillens Listed pretty high on OAK's official depth chart, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't even make the final 53 man roster. Not much of a special teams guy, and I'm betting he is odd man out if the Raiders keep 5 WR's, and may not even make the team if they keep 6. Fantasy value is dirt.

Derek Hagen A number of posts in the forums here with guys drooling over Hagen. Could be worthy of a late round flier, but not even guaranteed a spot on the team. Coaches seem to like him which is always a good sign, but his value seems likely to be limited to leagues where points are awarded for return yardage.

Denarious Moore Lots of drool over the athletic ability exhibitied with Moore. Definitely a guy to grab in a dynasty league, just not sure he'll have enough value in 2011 to roster. Of this entire list, though, this is the guy that could prove me wrong and have a huge year this year, since OAK's offensive philosophy seems to lend itself to his skill set.

Nick Miller Might make the team if OAK keeps 6 WR's. Fantasy value of dirt. Has to beat out Schillens and Shawn Bodiford for the the last spot.

Shawn Bodiford Seems likely to get the axe next week in the cut to 53.

Chad Jackson, McGee, Bayes - camp bodies.

Derrick Jones IR for the year. Not really a good dynasty stash unless you have 40 roster spots.

Any Raider fans care to comment or correct?
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Sorting out the OAK receivers

Postby abrunn11 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:27 am

I think Ford is the only roster(able) of the bunch, with the exception of taking a late-round (14-16) flier on Moore. I think you know what you are getting with the Heyward-Bey, who has accumulated 35 receptions in 20 games, making him man afterthought. I would monitor Murphy's play time the first few weeks, he could have decent WR3 upside if he is getting looks.
abrunn11
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cuffs » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:07 pm

Schillens has been reported to be a breakout player for an eternity, but the guy always gets injured.

IMO, you pegged it:
1. Ford
2A. Murphy
2B. Moore
3. Don't bother.
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 35)

Postby Metropolitans » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:09 pm

At this point, Ford is DEFINITELY the only Rosterable WR on Oakland. With this team tho, literally ANYTHING could happen. I do like Kevin Boss here, as they loved Zach Miller and Boss has A LOT more talent than NYG utilized.
10Team H2H
(8-1 Record)
QB- Stafford
WR- VJax
WR- Marshall
WR/RB-JNelson
RB- RRice
RB- DMC
TE- Gronkowski
K- Akers
DEF- WW Matchups
Bench- Bradford, Morris, Meachem, JBest, JBaldwin, Ridley
Metropolitans
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)

Postby dgan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:32 pm

Last I checked, all these guys have the same QB. And last I checked, that is Jason Campbell...for now. Ford is the very last draftable WR on my cheat sheet. I don't want a part of any of these guys - Ford will have some good weeks, but he will have way too many "did not contribute" - I hate that on my fantasy team. And I also disagree about Boss. He was under-utilized in NY and is a more well-rounded TE, but he cannot carry Zach Miller's cleats when it comes to pass catching. He will not approach the top fantasy TEs.

I just think there are better places to use draft picks - the best value in this bunch will be the one that looks surprisingly good on the waiver wire Week 3.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:47 pm

Spot on analysis, Spodog. Can you do the Rams next? :-b
dgan is also right. As long as Campbell remains the QB that he has been, let someone else draft Ford.
I think this could be the year that Campbell arrives. Exactly what his destination is, we'll have to wait a see. If he fails it won't be becuase he doesn't have enough talent to support him. Boss, Ford, any of 2 or 3 other WRs and those RBs will provide a fruitful opportunity for QB pts. Campbell is a high risk, moderate reward guy. Oak receivers will prosper if he does.
Not Heywire-Bey though, you simply have to be able to do more than run fast in a straight line to succeed. Now if you can do that and catch too...

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby spodog » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:49 am

Guess I left out a few guys. Man, the Raiders must have had an entire locker room just for receivers during camp!

Steven Goulet - cut yesterday.
Damola Adeniji - cut yesterday.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no2leads » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:38 pm

Agreed Ford looks like a no 3 with no2 ceiling. Big play guy. Moore is fast becoming sexy flier, saw a Raider beat guy throw out some bold projections. I picked up Ford , then was debating on my last pick/wr flier, and just didn't want Moore, can't have two of these guys, right?
no2leads
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby zechs » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:33 am

To me, the Oakland offense will revolve around two guys: McFadden and Ford. Between the two, they can make Jason Campbell look good at QB.
Ford is the only Raiders WR worthy of being drafted. The rest are in-season pickups, if at all.

Please help me out? viewtopic.php?t=493936
14tm. PPR+IDP+return-yds. league
QB-Cam
RB-Shady,DMartin WR-JulioJ,Colston,VJax
TE-Finley K & IDP-[streaming]
BN-JStewart,MReece,Britt,Amendola,BMyers,Kaepernick,BryceB
zechs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby saemick » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:12 am

I may disagree with the majority here, but while I agree Ford is definitely rosterable, I also think Moore is as well.

From all reports this preseason (take with a grain of salt, yes) he has looked phenomenal. No more Zach Miller, DHB looks to be nonexistent again, and the still look to have a good run game to open up the field.

I think there is definitely room for more than Ford on your rosters.

Not to mention, where Moore is going, look who else is being taken there... I'll take a flyer on him & if he doesn't pan out...oh well.
saemick
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Football Talk