Draft Ideas - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Draft Ideas

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft Ideas

Postby favreonfire » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:11 am

Hey fellas...just wrapped up my first experience as a commish, 10 man league, live draft. I just wanted to share some ideas that I used that may inspire some of you to do similar things. First off, I am a fantasy football vet, and have played in many different leagues with many different variations. I've sat through 12 man drafts where I was literally yawning by the 7th round because it was so boring. I was determined to make mine as entertaining as possible. So for starters, I made video highlights for players I thought would be taken in the first round (prob made upwards of 14 videos). Each video was a minute long, and started with the NFL Draft tone, followed by Roger Godell taking the stand, and stating "with the number __ pick"...which then faded into a tribute video to the player that was drafted. I made my the guys write their first round pick down privately and hand it to me, and after I had it, I played the appropriate video through my 55" TV, which was a hit. Beats the crap out of getting up and just stickering a label on a board. Each video had a bit of suspense with it, which was awesome.

For my draft order, instead of randomly picking out of a hat, I decided to come up with a game. The 10 of us played a game of flip cup(not encouraging drinking here) with a referee. The first 5 players to successfully flip a cup left the table, and the bottom five played each other again, and same with top five. The overall winner got to choose WHERE he wanted to pick, and then #2 guy did the same and this went on until all 10 picks were filled. So the #1 pick very well could have belonged to the guy who finished #10 in flip cup.

Also, I implemented some drinking rules (kicker before 16th, drafting IR players (yes someone took Ryan Williams)), starting a run on TE's or DEF). These were fun as well.

I already have a ton of stuff for next year I am already thinking of! Fantasy Draft Day is better than Christmas ;-D

Hope everyone has a great year!
favreonfire
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Draft Ideas

Postby Chicago 2 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:19 pm

It is hard to keep the excitement throughout the entire draft. Once all the big names are off the board the chat dies down, now I personally love the later rounds because I like showing off my sleeper picks.

You could always try an offline auction draft, I find them to be very fun even though they are lengthy.
Chicago 2
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:06 pm

i dont know, in my leagues the later rounds get much chattier, between mocking, bitching and bargaining.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby c0megets0me » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:00 pm

I always wanted to do an auction draft with real money and have that go in the pot for the winner.
ROSTER/8 team standard scoring
QB-M.Ryan/M.Vick
RB-T.Richardson/S.Jax/L.Miller/E.Lacy/Mathews
WR-Megatron/Fitz/Amendola/H.Nicks
FLEX- RB/WR
TE-J.Camron/J.Thomas
c0megets0me
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Return to Commissioner's Corner