My key players facing my defense…How much should I worry? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

My key players facing my defense…How much should I worry?

Moderator: Football Moderators

My key players facing my defense…How much should I worry?

Postby mjedwards409 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:06 am

Newb question here: Right now I am carrying the Giants defense. After looking through their schedule, I realized I have a few key players facing that defense throughout the year. I guess it’s inevitable, but how much should I be concerned? Is it worth dropping the Giants D to search for a less conflicting schedule? For example, I have:

Week 2: Steven Jackson, my #2 RB playing in NY.
Week 4: Beenie Wells, my Flex at home with Giants visiting
Week 8: Giants are at Miami. With my current starting roster this doesn’t cause a problem, but I have Bush and Bess who might be valuable later in my PPR league.
Week 13: Giants are at Green Bay and Jennings is my #1 WR.

Is it best to look for another defense for these situations? I’m I overestimating the importance of these conflicts? I’m worried about Week 2 (Facing the strongest team in my league) and Week 13 (Last game before playoffs) Thanks for any advice!
mjedwards409
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: My key players facing my defense…How much should I worry

Postby dgan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:17 pm

That's a good question. The easy answer is no, don't worry about it. That said, there are a couple things you may want to consider...

How is your defense scored? If it is just TDs, sacks, and turnovers, then that will have almost no effect on your other players. They can both have success. However, if your league also gives/negates points for yardage and points allowed, you may want to look a little closer. If you think you have a great defense that will shut down your other players, you may want to consider backups on the offensive side. If you think your player is going to light up your defense, you may want to grab a different one.

It really is no different than any other week - you play the best player/defense based on the matchups. If your best matchups are Beanie Wells against the Giants and the Giants against the Cardinals, then that's what you play. Don't overthink it.

Also, it is similar to having a QB and a RB on the same team. You may feel like only one of them can have a good game. Actually, it doesn't typically happen that way, and even if it does, it is better than having a QB and RB on different teams and they both have dud weeks for you.

But again, of all the problems you'll have during the season, this one is probably at the bottom of your worry list.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby c0megets0me » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:44 am

Worry about ur players not your DEF. the points ur Def scores are nothing compaired to ur players.
ROSTER/8 team standard scoring
QB-M.Ryan/M.Vick
RB-T.Richardson/S.Jax/L.Miller/E.Lacy/Mathews
WR-Megatron/Fitz/Amendola/H.Nicks
FLEX- RB/WR
TE-J.Camron/J.Thomas
c0megets0me
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:16 am

c0megets0me wrote:Worry about ur players not your DEF. the points ur Def scores are nothing compaired to ur players.

Ignore this.

Defenses can win games just as well as any player, ask anyone who started Baltimore or San Fran this week. That said, the only player I worry about against my defense is my QB, RB/WR/TE in most league scoring formats can have huge games without it hurting your defense. Considering even an above average defense any week gives up 250+ yard and a couple scores, there is plenty of yardage for your skill players. Even QBs are a decent start, depending on how good your defense is.

Put it this way, every week you should be judging your matchups for all your players. If the defense is good enough (and the Giants definitely aren't) then you sit your mid level offensive players (Im from the never sit your studs camp), if the offense is good enough you sit your defense.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Beginner's Forum