Criticizing Cafes preseason rankings... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Criticizing Cafes preseason rankings...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Criticizing Cafes preseason rankings...

Postby daullaz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:07 pm

My turn ...

Hightower obviously has significant upside as a current RB1. Still, I'm not sure I love him as a fantasy RB2. The history of Shanahan shows that you just can't trust his perceived No. 1 heading into the season. On that alone, I think you have to discount Hightower a bit. Joe, when I did the adjustment, I thought 34 was fair for him. Obviously, at the time I thought Helu, Torain and even Royster were still in the picture, and I still do to a degree. RBManiac and others, you can disagree all you want, and your reasoning for disagreement is definitely valid. I'll say that if I did another update today, I'd move Hightower up a little bit. I have him a bit higher in my own rankings, which I updated before each of my drafts. But I still wouldn't feel comfortable with him as an every-week starter. Maybe I overrate Shanahan's history.

As far as updating the FFC rankings, it's hard to strike a balance. FF value is so fluid that in order to have relevant rankings they really need to be updated every couple of days. But the more updates I do, the more we get away from the community aspect of the Cafe rankings, which I feel is super-important and sets us apart from other sites, and just get to my personal rankings. I don't want the rankings on the site to just be a copy of my rankings; I want them to be our rankings as a whole. And the rankers have been gracious enough with their time (and doing these rankings even once is a significant time commitment), that I can't ask them to do multiple updates every few days.

I'll keep everyone's constructive criticism in mind for next year. Thanks for your opinions. ;-D
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guru13 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:58 pm

For those of you that owned a Denver running back post the Clinton Portis era, don't forget - Shanny produces thousand yard rushers out of nowhere, but he will also drive you absolutely insane trying to set your lineup every Sunday. To me this looks just like Mike Anderson/Tatum Bell, Tatum Bell/Mike Bell, etc. Pairs of mediocre running backs that can't seem to beat out one another. There's some production here (some being the operative word here, the Redskins are absolutely terrible) but it's gonna make you pull your hair out if you guess wrong.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bungle613 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:18 pm

daullaz wrote:My turn ...

Hightower obviously has significant upside as a current RB1. Still, I'm not sure I love him as a fantasy RB2. The history of Shanahan shows that you just can't trust his perceived No. 1 heading into the season. On that alone, I think you have to discount Hightower a bit. Joe, when I did the adjustment, I thought 34 was fair for him. Obviously, at the time I thought Helu, Torain and even Royster were still in the picture, and I still do to a degree. RBManiac and others, you can disagree all you want, and your reasoning for disagreement is definitely valid. I'll say that if I did another update today, I'd move Hightower up a little bit. I have him a bit higher in my own rankings, which I updated before each of my drafts. But I still wouldn't feel comfortable with him as an every-week starter. Maybe I overrate Shanahan's history.

As far as updating the FFC rankings, it's hard to strike a balance. FF value is so fluid that in order to have relevant rankings they really need to be updated every couple of days. But the more updates I do, the more we get away from the community aspect of the Cafe rankings, which I feel is super-important and sets us apart from other sites, and just get to my personal rankings. I don't want the rankings on the site to just be a copy of my rankings; I want them to be our rankings as a whole. And the rankers have been gracious enough with their time (and doing these rankings even once is a significant time commitment), that I can't ask them to do multiple updates every few days.

I'll keep everyone's constructive criticism in mind for next year. Thanks for your opinions. ;-D

As well as JoeJ being right in that the Cafe is a volunteer group and it is very difficult to keep an updated list. The original rankings were published on July 11 when Hightower was still with Zona. I ranked him 50th overall as a RB2 behind Beanie.

In MY published PPR rankings I had him as RB29 and have since moved him up to RB25 ahead of Lynch, Benson, Matthews and Jackson but to update it I essentially have to rewrite the entire piece. I just don't have time for it. All articles are date stamped, take them for the value they hold. As for Hightower specifically, I don't want him as an RB2 as I don't trust Shanahan. I will be stunned if he gets 250 carries like some are saying.

There should be some plug and play formula that updates can be done on the go when you have time.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Guru13 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:11 am

RBManiac wrote:i know, but noone said anything about him having to be drafted in the 5th round even as high as 6th. Hes a safe pick in thel ladder part of the 7th round PPR
and being mediocre at best is not a fact. His upside is an high end RB2 in ppr. his low side is a low end RB3. He is a steal in round 9+

The OP is about him being ranked 34th. hes not going to be the worst starting RB

Also - his low side is not RB3, it's in Shanny's dog house which is much worse than a RB3.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby dream_017 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:16 pm

RBManiac wrote:Torain is an accident waiting to occur, and will most likely be hurt again. as oppose to Hightower whos always healthy.

RBManiac wrote:hightower is better than beanie wells as an all around back....and even by the numbers in fantasy proves it

RBManiac wrote:i mean whats really not to like about the guy? Hes getting all the carries

RBManiac wrote:oh he will have more than 250 touches this year as a starter

RBManiac wrote:i have my bet on hightower again this year. ive won 2 years in a row on fantasy production. I plan to win again this year int he beanie vs hightower arguements

RBManiac wrote:Lets not forget hightower is a much better bet to stay healthy. he hasnt missed a game yet.

dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby moochman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:48 pm

dream_017 wrote:
RBManiac wrote:Torain is an accident waiting to occur, and will most likely be hurt again. as oppose to Hightower whos always healthy.

RBManiac wrote:hightower is better than beanie wells as an all around back....and even by the numbers in fantasy proves it

RBManiac wrote:i mean whats really not to like about the guy? Hes getting all the carries

RBManiac wrote:oh he will have more than 250 touches this year as a starter

RBManiac wrote:i have my bet on hightower again this year. ive won 2 years in a row on fantasy production. I plan to win again this year int he beanie vs hightower arguements

RBManiac wrote:Lets not forget hightower is a much better bet to stay healthy. he hasnt missed a game yet.

When it Torains it pours, eh Dream?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby joejlitz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:44 am

joejlitz wrote: BTW - my personal opinion is that Hightower should not be taken as a #2 RB because that is well above his perceived value. But I think he has the actual value of a RB2.

Also - I think he will be better than Beanie.

Traded Romo for Beanie last night.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby moochman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:41 pm

LOL Turned two Cardinals into a crow dinner. Don't see that everyday.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Purple1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:23 pm

Purple1 wrote:Heres a challenge for you guys I'll take THT and you take one of the RB you have ranked near and ahead of him. Felix Jones, Cedric Benson, Fred Jackson, Shonn Green, Reggie Bush, Beanie Wells hell I don't care any RB ousider your top 10 even but just ONE.

PPR 1 pt per 10yrds rush/rec 6pts TD

Lets see who has the better season!

Boy good thing nobody bit on this lol!!!
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Hippo45 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:26 pm

Purple1 wrote:
Purple1 wrote:Heres a challenge for you guys I'll take THT and you take one of the RB you have ranked near and ahead of him. Felix Jones, Cedric Benson, Fred Jackson, Shonn Green, Reggie Bush, Beanie Wells hell I don't care any RB ousider your top 10 even but just ONE.

PPR 1 pt per 10yrds rush/rec 6pts TD

Lets see who has the better season!

Boy good thing nobody bit on this lol!!!

The season isn't over yet and Hightower hasn't done that bad. He still could easily be better than any of those guys he listed.
Hippo45
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk