My yearly long read - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

My yearly long read

Moderator: Football Moderators

My yearly long read

Postby TaDa » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:26 am

As some veterans may remember, I'm part of a complicated hybrid league. Part keeper, part draft, rest auction. Allowed to keep one player per position, all counting against your $26 salary cap. Standard scoring, non-ppr. Most money goes to team that has the most points at the end of the year for the whole team, with like 20% going to the team that wins head to head. So you start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1D/ST, 1K every week against your opponent, but you're also playing 3QBs, 5RBs, 6WRs, 2D/STs, 2Ks against the league in trying to get most points.

My keepers were:
Big Ben - $1.10
LeSean McCoy - $.90
Percy Harvin - $.50
Neil Rackers - $.20

Then came my 3 draft picks. In the draft, you're able to pick up a player that was on anyone's roster last year that they couldn't keep, at their set salary. So these players don't go to auction. 2 rounds of draft, I had picks 2, 14 and 15. I took:
Peyton Hillis - $1.00
Brandon Lloyd - $1.00
Matt Cassel - $.90

Then it proceeds to auction. We go around the table with a person throwing the name of a player out for auction. We go around the table bidding in 10 cent increments or higher, until it turns into a poker game of you looking at another owner playing "name that tune" with money.

Auction for me went:
Mark Sanchez -$2.00
MJD - $8.00 (As reference, ADP and Chris Johnson both went for $9+)
Steven Jackson - $7.60
Ronnie Brown - $.10
Mario Manningham - $1.10
Jordy Nelson -$.20
Owen Daniels - $.10
Robert Meachem $.10
Bears D/ST -$.50
Lions D/ST -$.30
Josh Brown K - $.30

All that adds up to $26.00

You then draft your reserves of whoever is left after all the auctioning. These players get a salary of $2.00, but it doesn't count against the cap. My bench is:
Caddy Williams
Tony Gonzales
Anthony Dixon
Brandon Pettigrew
Tony Gerhart

My analysis of my own team, I'm pretty happy with my RBs (McCoy, Hillis, MJD, SJax and Brown) A-. Pretty satisfied with QBs, give them a B to B-. My WRs are an issue, so C to C-. Good D/ST so B and decent kickers, B.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If you've read this far, I greatly appreciate it and will definitely help in return :)
Last edited by TaDa on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: My yearly long read

Postby mayhem13 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:49 am

very good team. solid RBs and very good depth there. Above average QBs...WR is probably the weakest part of the team, but still not bad. Like the TE's..

I give the team a B...probably bumped to an A- or B+ if it had been PPR scoring.

rate mine?
viewtopic.php?t=493914
mayhem13
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby sabomnim » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:13 am

Yea ur stacked at rb but WR scare me a lot
I would try to get a better starting WR with all the good rbs u have
WHIR 100%
sabomnim
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 73)

Postby TaDa » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:18 pm

How weak my WRs are is one of the reasons that I love this league. You have a pot of money to spend, and if you want to stack yourself at some place like RB, you most likely can, but you're going to be waiting for a LOOOONG time to make another pick.

One of the guys in the league got ADP and Chris Johnson within the first 10 minutes of the draft. Because they cost him around $19 combined on a $26 cap, once you factored in his keepers, he had $2.60 to spend on the rest of his team. If you think I'm bad at WR, you should see his wideouts. I think that he has both Randy Moss and Terrell Owens because that was all he could afford (kidding, but his WRs suck)

Yes, I would like to shore up my wideouts, but in my years of playing fantasy football, there's always that sleeper that shows up at wideout around week 3 that you snag off the waiver wire and go to town with. That hardly ever happens with RBs unless the lead back gets hurt.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ozymandias19 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:40 pm

I disagree with your assessment on your WRs. I think you have a B, why? Harvin is a fine starting WR, whether he is a one or not is clearly debatable, but he doesn't have to be. Manningham again will be a nice three to high-end two WR. Meacham has massive upside, with a lot of noise coming out of New Orleans that he may be the guy with Colston aging and injured. If Meacham has a better year this year, than last, which is very likely, you now have two number two WRs and a number three. With arguably three number one RBs. That is a well balanced team, would you trade away a number RB for a number one WR if the difference is marginal at best? I don't think so. I like your team, and if you can get a better WR on the cheap, without losing one of your top three RBs, go for it, if not, know that your RBs are stacked and will carry your team,while your WRs will do anything but hold you back.
Ozymandias19
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby crimedoctor » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:47 pm

I rate this team as a B+ (assuming 12 team).

You DO need to improve at WR, but that can be easily accomplished by dealing one of your three TE's for an upgrade. You might want to sweeten the pot by involving your RB depth, ....but I'd be careful with that. You are good where you stand right now.
crimedoctor
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby TaDa » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:52 pm

It's a 10 man league and TEs are counted as WRs. I was pissed that I didn't have money to bid on Clark. He went for .60 and I had him rated higher than many many WRs
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ATLbraves » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:05 pm

crimedoctor wrote:I rate this team as a B+ (assuming 12 team).

You DO need to improve at WR, but that can be easily accomplished by dealing one of your three TE's for an upgrade. You might want to sweeten the pot by involving your RB depth, ....but I'd be careful with that. You are good where you stand right now.

I completely agree with this assessment. ;-D

Thanks for the help with mine.
ATLbraves
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:14 pm

I agree with you and what most others in this thread said. Overall I like your team a lot. Can your WRs use an upgrade? Sure. But your RBs are fantastic and IMO that helps make up for it. Since overall point total takes precedence over H2H record, your questionable receiving core seems like less of an issue to me.
QB- M. Vick
WR- J. Jones, M. Colston
RB- R. Rice, J. Charles
TE- A. Hernandez
FLEX- D. McFadden, F. Jackson
K- G. Zuerlein
DEF- Miami

B- T. Romo, J. Kerley, K. Hunter, V. Ballard, D. Thomas, B. Myers, S. Suisham
BronXBombers51
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby c0megets0me » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:44 pm

I dont think ur wr are that big of an issue, sure you might be playing matchups but i can live with that when i have rb's like you. However I thought i hear that Dixon is done for the year if so u might want to drop him and pick up Hunter who has look great in the pre season.
ROSTER/8 team standard scoring
QB-M.Ryan/M.Vick
RB-T.Richardson/S.Jax/L.Miller/E.Lacy/Mathews
WR-Megatron/Fitz/Amendola/H.Nicks
FLEX- RB/WR
TE-J.Camron/J.Thomas
c0megets0me
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Next

Return to Roster Ratings