need help with first fantasy draft! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

need help with first fantasy draft!

Moderator: Football Moderators

need help with first fantasy draft!

Postby MKau1 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:29 am

Should I take Michael turner as my firstpick? I'm picking 6th in an 8- team league
MKau1
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: need help with first fantasy draft!

Postby Chicago 2 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:48 am

MKau1 wrote:Should I take Michael turner as my firstpick? I'm picking 6th in an 8- team league

Need more information.

What does the scoring look like? PPR? Yards/Pt?

I personally have the following players ranked ahead of him in either format.

Adrian Peterson
Arian Foster
Jamaal Charles
Ray Rice
Chris Johnson
Rashard Mendenhall
Lesean McCoy
MJD

I like Turner, but I question his durability, he has had way too many carries since going Atlanta.
Chicago 2
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby MKau1 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:04 pm

Head-to-Head scoring, .5 pts per reception, 10 yds per pt. So you think since he has carried so many times that Matt Ryan will be throwing more?
MKau1
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Chicago 2 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:06 pm

MKau1 wrote:Head-to-Head scoring, .5 pts per reception, 10 yds per pt. So you think since he has carried so many times that Matt Ryan will be throwing more?

No, Turner should get the same amount of carries as usual. His physical playing style and workload cautions me, I'm not saying he will get hurt, just being cautious where to select him.

He isn't your ideal PPR player, I would suggest any of the names I mentioned because they should get a ton of receptions, Mendenahll being the lowest on that list. In PPR leagues you want a guy who is versatile, catches the ball out of the backfield and run, Turner isn't that player.

But hey, if you like Turner take him, leagues are won in the late rounds and moves made during the season.
Chicago 2
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby NotJohnTillerman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:33 am

He's getting older and banged up, and as was mentioned he really isn't very involved in the passing game. He'll get plenty of touches if he stays healthy but I think there is guaranteed to be a better option at 6. I don't think I'd want to take him before the 3rd round in an 8-teamer.

Other than the aforementioned I'd probably even rank Gore, Hillis, McFadden, Forte as more valuable than Turner in 0.5ppr. I'm forgetting some names too I'm sure. And this is coming from a guy who loves Michael Turner (just as everybody else that went to NIU back then does I'm sure)

I mean, just grabbing a look at last year: Turner had 10 receptions. McCoy had 81... 0.5 points might not seem like much but that's a 35.5 point difference over the course of last year, based strictly on involvement in the passing game. Granted McCoy is a fairly special case, but plenty of stud running backs will probably grab around the 50-60 catch mark. It's huge.
NotJohnTillerman
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Beginner's Forum