Week 1 DST discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Who to Start/Bench

Week 1 DST discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Week 1 DST discussion

Postby cpmcda01 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm not one to reach for a DST on draft day, so I'm always looking for WW pickups based on matchup. Obviously, it's too early in the season for statistical models to be of any use, so instead let's lick our finger and see if we can tell which way the wind is blowing. I like...

1. Browns vs Bengals - Obvious. Rookie QB throwing to a rookie WR. Horrible line. Cedric Benson.
2. 49ers vs Seahawks - Tavaris Jackson (in new system). Sub-par WR corps. Marshawn Lynch is decent.
3. Cardinals vs Panthers - Rookie QB. However, good running game and o-line. New coaching staff.

I currently have the Lions (@TB) and feel so-so about that one. Some other interesting matchups on the WW, but I think they are more of a gamble:

Titans @ Jaguars (either DST) - New coach AND QB for Titans, CJ2K holdout might be rusty. Don't know what to expect from MJD yet. Not many other offensive weapons.
Broncos vs Raiders (either DST) - New coach in Denver, new offensive system and philosophy. For Oakland... Jason Campbell.
Falcons @ Bears - Sack and interception buffet served up by Cutler/Martz?
cpmcda01
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Week 1 DST discussion

Postby Team Gooch » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Arizona, Clev, & SF all have great match-ups. Anyone of those should be a good play. Last year, whatever defense played Carolina was money for me so I may stick with that for this 1st week. I know the Panthers got their RBs back this year but I still see a lot of bad decisions coming from Newton. Plus, I think the Cardinals offense is better this year so less mistakes coming from them which will keep the pressure off their defense. Another one you didnt mention that I also like is KC vs Buf. The Chiefs are always tough @ home and Buffalo doesnt strike fear in anyone. I think I'll stay away from the Titans, Jags, Broncos, or Raiders.
Team Gooch
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

Postby latraffic » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:52 pm

My 2 cents. I didn't draft a defense. Never do. Always play the wire until a good team emerges and warrents keeping. Anyway, my point is I went and grabbed Cleveland. Decent talent on D against what looks to be a feast of errors in Cinn. I'd recommend them over what you've posed as other options as well. Heck, I'd recommend them over just about any other defense thisweek.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sticky Fingers » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:57 am

I'm going with the Cardinals D/ST. Even with the loss of Rodgers-Cromartie, I think they still have a solid secondary with the addition of Patrick Peterson. They should be better at stopping the run this season and cause some confusion for the opposing offenses thanks to the new schemes the new defensive coordinator has been installing.
Sticky Fingers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 36)

Postby britdevine » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:22 am

Cardinals for sure...I'm doing them in all my Waiver wire D's...you cant expect alot from CAR on the road this week.

Thanks for help on mine
britdevine
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby lugmetric » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:26 pm

Thanks for the answer on mine-I'm actually starting the niners D against SEA. they really don't have any playmakers on O, tarvaris is terrible, niners have some guys on defense who can make some things happen, i'm loving the matchup there this week.

i think the panthers can get some things going on the ground against ARI, and i'd like to see the browns in action before i'd consider them ready for fantasy spot-starts.

i wouldnt touch the titans or the jags just yet. broncos/raiders could seriously end up 42-35, each side is bad enough defensively and has just enough weapons to punish their opponent. falcons/bears-the falcons D could be huge here, or this thing could be a shootout, really depends on which jay cutler shows up. they're the upside play, but come with some risk against an occasionally explosive bears O.

good luck!
lugmetric
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby thebigsmooth » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:53 pm

I'd go with CLE this week.

Good luck. Please take a look at mine

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=494580
thebigsmooth
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby chiefs1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:59 pm

I like the cardinals going against Cam Newton
chiefs1
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby mzkp54 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:58 pm

CLE is the way to go. Everyone is saying ARI because its Cam's first game. Well according to the draft Cam is much better than Dalton, who will be starting for the Bengals. Bengals also have much inferior weapons IMO than the panthers. +1 vote for CLE.

Thanks for the help on mine
mzkp54
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 233)

Postby Bolthead04 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:10 am

Would you stream a matchup like Cle or Ari if you had the Bears against Atl this week? I've been mulling it over, and I can't seem to commit one way or another. I like the bears D a lot, but the Falcons have put up very nice games in the past.

I'd probably go Cleveland if I did (and that's my vote as far as streamer options go) since Dalton has a worse surrounding cast.
Bolthead04
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Who to Start/Bench