Anyone worried about Jamaal Charles' pre-season? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anyone worried about Jamaal Charles' pre-season?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Anyone worried about Jamaal Charles' pre-season?

Postby SirGrotius » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:34 pm

DraftDodger wrote:
SirGrotius wrote:Worried. He looks kind of crappy week 1 too (at least relative to his high fantasy ranking).

If 5.6 avg YPC is your idea of "crappy" I don't think there's any way Charles could live up to your expectations. KC didn't run much in a game where they played from behind. Surprise!

There is a lot of sloppy play around the league this week. I don't think we can put much stock in the first few games. The cream will rise to the top as the season continues.

I probably jumped to a conclusion there. I wasn't happy with the TO as I'm worried that Haley doesn't have a good feel for Jamaal.
10 rushing yards - 1 pt
10 receiving yards - 1 pt
20 passing yards - 1 pt
All TDs - 6 pts (QBs favored)
SirGrotius
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WickedSmaat » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:54 pm

I'd say Ditto to what DraftDodger is saying, he's still showing that he has the skills, it's just a matter of the Chefs actually using him, and they eventually will.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:54 pm

I dont have him but my worries would be the Chiefs actually giving him the load. Hard to do when down that far. Dont give up yet.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby ramble2 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:20 am

This may only be tangentially related, but what is McCluster's role in KC this year? How much of a threat is he to take some of Charles' production away? I didn't see the game, I only saw that McCluster had the following line: 4 rush attempts for 42 yards, and 5 receptions for 25 yards.

Were those receptions out of the backfield, or lined up as WR? If the former, does that help or hurt Charles? I know conventional wisdom would be that losing touches/receptions to another back means less opportunities, but in today's NFL I'm not so sure that's the case. If the overall running game improves it may be that a rising tide lifts all ships.

Maybe I'm way off, but McCluster is one fast kid and seems like a bit of a wildcard in KC. Perhaps someone with more intimate knowledge of KC, or who saw the game and knows how McCluster was used might shed some light on how that might impact Charles.
ramble2
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DraftDodger » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:28 am

My understanding is that McCluster was given garbage time touches that he won't see on a regular basis. Doesn't sound like he will cut into Jamaal's touches when the game is on the line.

EDIT: The above is from reading various Chiefs' fans comments on the game.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby dgan » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:55 pm

McCluster was moved to RB this year - he will still split out, I'm guessing in Danny Woodhead-like role, only to a lesser extent.

Bigger concern - KC looked a w f u l. If they have a rough start, Haley is the kind of coach that turns players off. This team could go in the toilet in just a few games. Or, they could come back with a strong week 2 and be just fine.

It's analysis like that which makes me indispensable here. :-B
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby iloveny18 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:45 pm

Preseason? no, but regular season? yes. not good for us owners .....

Jamaal Charles was forced from Sunday's game against the Lions with a left knee injury.
Running full speed toward the sideline, Charles took two awkward strides before careening into the Lions mascot. He appeared to be in a great deal of pain as he was carted to the locker room. His return is officially questionable, but it's highly likely his day is through. Thomas Jones and Dexter McCluster will pick up the slack in the Chiefs' running game in his absence.
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby SirGrotius » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:31 pm

What a bust.
10 rushing yards - 1 pt
10 receiving yards - 1 pt
20 passing yards - 1 pt
All TDs - 6 pts (QBs favored)
SirGrotius
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby WickedSmaat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:27 pm

So it looks like McCluster could be the add. He's just as explosive as Charles, I don't see a LJ 2005 version, but it's not like I want much of this KC offense anyways, but the guys that can bust it just about any play are definitely the ones to watch.

It's a bummer too, Charles had a nice 24 yard rush before he got injured. Hopefully he'll get back this year.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby iloveny18 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:36 pm

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Jamaal Charles' knee injury is a torn ACL, and that the dynamic fourth-year back is done for the season.

Good thing I had McCluster :-D
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk