My First Year, First Draft, Thoughts/Advice? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

My First Year, First Draft, Thoughts/Advice?

Moderator: Football Moderators

My First Year, First Draft, Thoughts/Advice?

Postby Banemorth » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37 am

Howdy guys. Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to read this thread and give me any advice you might be willing to impart. I've been a long-time football fan but mostly only ever cared to follow my own team (Giants) Now, however, I find myself obsessing over injury reports and commentary about teams I've never spared a thought for before! Anyway I think I made some mistakes in my first draft but I have another one tomorrow and want to get as much straightened out as I can.

Here were my picks: (In the order they were picked) It is a 12 team league and I picked 6th.

1. Michael Vick QB
2. Steven Jackson RB
3. DeAngelo Williams RB
4. Jeremy Maclin WR
5. Kenny Britt WR
6. Steelers D/ST D/ST
7. Owen Daniels TE
8. Nate Kaeding K
9. Joseph Addai RB
10. Sam Bradford QB
11. Plaxico Burress WR
12. LaDainian Tomlinson RB
13. Zach Miller TE
14. Billy Cundiff K
15. Victor Cruz WR
16. Rams D/ST D/ST

I have since dropped Sam Bradford, Victor Cruz and the Rams D/ST and picked up:

Davone Bess WR
Deji Karim RB
Eddie Royal WR

Hassleback is just sitting around so if when I need a second QB I figured I'd just grab him.

Team Settings:

QB: 1
WR: 2
RB: 2
WR/RB: 1
K: 1
TE: 1
D/ST: 1

Passing

Every 25 passing yards (PY25) 1 TD Pass (PTD) 4
Interceptions Thrown (INT) -2 2pt Passing Conversion (2PC) 2

Rushing

Every 10 rushing yards (RY10) 1 TD Rush (RTD) 6
2pt Rushing Conversion (2PR) 2

Receiving

Every 10 receiving yards (REY10) 1 TD Reception (RETD) 6
2pt Receiving Conversion (2PRE) 2

Miscellaneous

Kickoff Return TD (KRTD) 6 Punt Return TD (PRTD) 6
Fumble Recovered for TD (FTD) 6 Total Fumbles Lost (FUML) -2

Kicking

Each PAT Made (PAT) 1 Total FG Missed (FGM) -1
FG Made (0-39 yards) (FG0) 3 FG Made (40-49 yards) (FG40) 4
FG Made (50+ yards) (FG50) 5

Team Defense / Special Teams

Each Sack (SK) 1 Interception Return TD (INTTD) 6
Fumble Return TD (FRTD) 6 Kickoff Return TD (KRTD) 6
Punt Return TD (PRTD) 6 Blocked Punt or FG return for TD (BLKKRTD) 6
Blocked Punt, PAT or FG (BLKK) 2 Each Interception (INT) 2
Each Fumble Recovered (FR) 2 Each Safety (SF) 2
0 points allowed (PA0) 5 1-6 points allowed (PA1) 4
7-13 points allowed (PA7) 3 14-17 points allowed (PA14) 1
28-34 points allowed (PA28) -1 35-45 points allowed (PA35) -3
46+ points allowed (PA46) -5 Less than 100 total yards allowed (YA100) 5
100-199 total yards allowed (YA199) 3 200-299 total yards allowed (YA299) 2
350-399 total yards allowed (YA399) -1 400-449 total yards allowed (YA449) -3
450-499 total yards allowed (YA499) -5 500-549 total yards allowed (YA549) -6
550+ total yards allowed (YA550) -7
Banemorth Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: My First Year, First Draft, Thoughts/Advice?

Postby Banemorth » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:43 am

I picked up Deji because it looks like he's going to be Jones-Drew's backup man now and if anything happens to Jones knee he will have the number one spot. I grabbed Bess just because I know I'm weak in WR's although I think I have too many now... I just liked the look of Eddie Royal too.
Banemorth Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Dolfan19 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Your team looks good now, but it is filled with players who are getting up there in age and are serious injury concerns. also, you didn't draft enough RBs. When you have 2 rb spots and a RB/WR, it is better to have a RB in the RB/WR spot, unless you just end up w/ 3 stud WRs. So now I see you starting jackson, williams, and addai. hopefully they will all make it all the way through the season, and not miss any games, but the odds are, you will be filling in for them with your bench players at some point in the season. Good first draft, just remember for next one to try to look for younger guys on their way up,rather than older guys on their way out of the league. (most RBs fade into fantasy irrelevancy by about age 30, with exceptions, of course) and to keep hammering that RB position, you can find some good value in the later rounds, the key is to get as many guys with high upside as possible. ;-D
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby McDuff » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:24 pm

I agree with Dolfan, you need more RB depth and I can say that LT is not the answer.
Unless there are No RBs available he should not be rostered. Even with your RB shortage I would drop LT and get Stafford back. You are playing with Vick/Fire and you never know when you are going to get burned. The way Vick plays he could be killed at any time and you need protection. Hassleback had better have a pretty good matchup on your bye and the way Hassleback plays he may not be alive when you need him. I think Bess might have to go to make room for another RB. I mean if Karim ends up playing due to an MJD injury you are in great shape but handcuffs are always a long shot to pay off.
Also note you have a backup kicker but no backup QB?

Let's hope Plaxico works out but have your eye on the wire for more RBs if he struggles but otherwise you look like you did a good job.
Way to early for a kicker tho.
McDuff
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Banemorth » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:35 pm

Thanks so much guys. Yeah I guess I really should have a backup QB on the roster. I've just been afraid to let anybody go. I grabbed a second kicker for my Bye but I guess that's not really important now is it? Live and learn I suppose! Appreciate all the feedback. In a 12 man league though it has proven VERY hard to find any good available RB's.
Banemorth Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Banemorth » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm also hoping that with all the Colt's problems with Peyton and Austin Collie that Addai will really be their best weapon.

Also McDuff Hassleback plays Houston on Vick's Bye. It's not a bad match up I don't think.
Banemorth Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Hippo45 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Was this an auto pick draft? Because you went way too early on defense and kicker. Also, you went too early on Williams and Maclin. I don't think you should target Vick in the first round. You should go either RB or Andre Johnson. Also, go ahead and drop your back up kicker.
Hippo45
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Banemorth » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:07 pm

No auto-draft Hippo just inexperience on my part. Trying to learn for my draft tomorrow and salvage what I can from this league. Thanks for the pro tips though! :-D
Banemorth Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Eightan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:42 pm

Hippo45 wrote:Was this an auto pick draft? Because you went way too early on defense and kicker. Also, you went too early on Williams and Maclin. I don't think you should target Vick in the first round. You should go either RB or Andre Johnson. Also, go ahead and drop your back up kicker.

Defense and kicker should be your last 2 picks, and you certainly don't want to draft 2 of them! Also, you might actually want to keep a good back-up QB on your roster, like Bradford or Kolb, if you draft a QB like Vick or Peyton Manning.

And I agree with previous posters that the majority of your bench should be RB's with nice upside, such as Michael Bush, Roy Helu, Delone Carter, Kendall Hunter, Montario Hardesty and Jason Snelling, just to name a few.

One other suggustion, check out the most updated ADP charts, just google "2011 Fantasy Football ADP" and you'll get a handfuul of good websites, which will keep you from over-reaching in your next draft.

Good luck!
Eightan Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Banemorth » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:54 pm

Thank you sir! Hopefully I can do you guys proud when I post my draft for tomorrow... picking 11th of 12 :(
Banemorth Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions