First time doing an Auction Draft. (WHIR) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

First time doing an Auction Draft. (WHIR)

Moderator: Football Moderators

First time doing an Auction Draft. (WHIR)

Postby fn1cn2 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:20 pm

This a 10 team auction draft, with standard scoring, non-ppr. QBs get 6 points for all passing touchdowns. This is my first attempt at an auction, and I'd like to know what you think. I passed on the big name running backs, and tried to save a little money there and getting better WRs, and utilizing some of the mid level depth at RB. I think one of my main leagues is switching from Snake to Auction next year, so I'd like to figure out a strategy based a little on my experience with this one. Thanks for any help, and please leave a link and I will take a look at yours.

Start
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D/ST

My Team:
QB: Brees, Flacco
RB: Bradshaw, Wells, Lynch, Tolbert, Jacobs
WR: Fitzgerald, VJAX, Maclin, S. Moss, Mike Thomas, Lance Moore
TE: Jimmy Graham
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Ravens
fn1cn2
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: First time doing an Auction Draft. (WHIR)

Postby mongo366 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:08 pm

It seems like you did a good job of managing your money and sticking to your plan which is the biggest challenge in an auction. You are clearly in great shape at QB, WR and TE; however, as you mentioned your RBs are not as impressive. While I am a big fan of Wells, the rest of your RBs are in clear time-shares. As such, I would recommend trading Bradshaw and Maclin to a receiver starved team for an upgrade at RB. You might be able to target someone like Blount or Green (I find it helpful to revisit the draft results and find players who went for comparable dollar values). Just my two cents.

Here is a link to my league's recent auction results. You will be able to see several different strategies and a discussion of which team ended up in the best position. Please feel free to add your thoughts.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=494402

Thanks!
mongo366
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Chaoyi Shih » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:23 pm

for first time auction drafter, 7/10
for competitive auction league, 5/10

assuming you have $200 to start, bree shouldnt cost you more than 30, Fitz i saw $30, but average around 35-37, VJax 26-30, so all three together shouldn't cost you around 100, which is 50% of your total gold
and seeing you do not have any of those high value player (Ajohnson, top 5 RB, vick and rodger), i assume you didnt go crazy with those 50+ bidding on AP, 45+ on Vick or rodger, which is good thing that you controlled your self. (hell, i once saw vick for $80 + $60 AP, people can go crazy when it comes to bidding on big name player)

however, you are too conservative, you started bidding a little too late. i am guessing you got Bree, Bradshaw, Fitz and VJax for rather cheap price. but not willing to overspend a dime on other top QB, RB or WR.

However, just remember, money in draft doesnt do you any good, and it is okay to overspend a little IF you have full plan. for example, if i got Fitz for $30, Vjax for $20, and my original price plan was 35 on Fitz and 25 on Vjax, therefore, i saved $10. Do not keep those $10, spend it right away by bidding Rodger for 45 dollar (if planned price is 40) and $50 on Charles (if planned price is 45). as result, did i overspend on top QB and RB? yes, but why won't i overspend when i have the extra money somewhere and could greatly boost my team, because once talented player is out, it is out, there's no coming back. get them when you still have a chance.

above are my prediction by observing your team roster, therefore, i apologize for any incorrect assumption i might have made.

please visit the link in my signature to leave a comment on my post regarding my league in 10ppl auction draft result.
thank you
Chaoyi Shih
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 224)

Postby joheshy55 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:35 pm

RB's i think could be better
wr core is good
QBs are good, i like brees a lot this year only cuz he has a lot of weapons in backfield and in front as wr
TE graham i like the connect although i think the graham could be inconsistant seeing how saints have so many good targets
k and def dont matter to me to rate. those vary year to year.

overall in any auction you should spend at least 1/4th on a sold running back and another 1/4 on solid reciever. QBS dont really matter to me only cuz top qbs in a league to prob the 10th or 12th starter choice is probably only about 50-60 points... so overall.. you did ok though....

Please rate my team at
viewtopic.php?t=494626

thanks and yourwelcome for rating your team.
joheshy55
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

: First time doing an Auction Draft. (WHIR)

Postby mixawy late » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:00 am

you have done a good job on the management side, but must view the development of the outside of the company here. You have wonderful ideas must be implemented on the ground
mixawy late
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby fn1cn2 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks to everyone for the input. It was a $200 cap based on ESPN ratings. I won't disagree that I got a little too conservative to begin with. I tried to hang back when the runningbacks were nominated and go after the top wrs. I went hard after Calvin and Andre, but they ended up going for much more than I wanted to go. I appreciate the feedback, I'll try to incorporate your advice in to developing a strategy for my next auction. Like I said, this is more of a practice one to get ready for when my other league switches over, so I really appreciate the input to help me learn from my mistakes here.
fn1cn2
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)

Postby JamesonNeat » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:00 pm

It looks like you probably have the best WR corp of your league. But, I think you sacrificed too much star power for depth. Your starting lineup will probably be the same during most weeks and should include a bit more firepower. I'd see if I could get a trade for a top RB for Maclin and Wells. Those that went stud heavy probably feel like they're lacking depth.
JamesonNeat
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Roster Ratings