NOT thrilled with my RBs - what are your thoughts? WHIR!!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

NOT thrilled with my RBs - what are your thoughts? WHIR!!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

NOT thrilled with my RBs - what are your thoughts? WHIR!!!!

Postby dtownsound8 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Alright so before you go doggin me for neglecting running backs first allow me to note that I'm well aware my RBs are not in good shape and I'm seeking opinions on potential moves you'd make.

Secondly... allow me to explain how I ended up in this predicament to begin with

This is a 14 team league and there's an RB/WR flex position so RBs tend to fly off the boards fast being that we can start 3.

I had the 8th pick.

ROUND 1: I took AJ with my first pick at #8. I'm content with that.
ROUND 2: For my 2nd pick, I took Peyton Hillis... content with that as well. Given that Brandon Jackson is out for the season, I have high hopes of Hillis doing away with the Madden Curse and not only matching, but outdoing last years performance.
ROUND 3: I knew I should have gone after another RB in round 3 but somehow Hakeem Nicks was still available in the third round of a 14 team draft?? I knew this means sacrificing my RB2 but I had to do it
ROUND 4: Knew it was important to address my RB2 spot here, but Stafford flew off the board two picks before me... in round 4. This should tell you how the run on QBs went. Had I not grabbed Schaub here my options would have been Josh Freeman, Eli Manning, Sam Bradford and the way QBs were going, I didn't have much confidence that they'd even be available when it came back to me. If that happened I'd have been looking at Flacco, Sanchez, Orton, or Fitzpatrick. I'm thinking I should have held off here, sucked it up, and grabbed Flacco a few rounds later... I'd have been able to grab Ingram as my RB2 here. Hindsight is 20/20.
ROUND 5: At this point, the last available RB considered a starter on their team, Tim Hightower, had been selected two picks before me. I decided to grab value here and took Jermichael Finley rather than grab an RB that would likely still be there in 2 rounds or another WR to fill my flex position.
LATE ROUNDS: It could be argued that I grabbed a DEF too early, but at this point I felt anyone else I'd be targeting in the draft would either still be available or would have someone comparable available in the following rounds. In 14 team leagues with deep benches, later round picks tend to be waiver wire fodder down the stretch anyways. It could also be argued that I didn't need 2 DEFs or 2 TEs. Same logic applies and I figure if Jared Cook pans out, I'll have some trade bait.

STANDARD SCORING ::: NON-PPR ::: QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, RB/WR, TE, K, DEF

1. (8)Andre Johnson(Hou - WR)
2. (21)Peyton Hillis(Cle - RB)
3. (36)Hakeem Nicks(NYG - WR)
4. (49)Matt Schaub(Hou - QB)
5. (64)Jermichael Finley(GB - TE)
6. (77)Brandon Jacobs(NYG - RB)
7. (92)Green Bay(GB - DEF)
8. (105)Willis McGahee(Den - RB)
9. (120)New England(NE - DEF)
10. (133)Ricky Williams(Bal - RB)
11. (148)Antonio Brown(Pit - WR)
12. (161)Jared Cook(Ten - TE)
13. (176)Greg Little(Cle - WR)
14. (189)Mason Crosby(GB - K)
15. (204) Jamie Harper(Ten - RB)
16. (217) Nate Washington(Ten - WR)

So in your opinion... do you feel having two RB1s makes up for having a poor RB2? It's not like Brandon Jacobs isn't serviceable, but he'd be much better as my flex than my RB2.

--OR-- Would you be looking to trade Hakeem Nicks for a lesser WR2 and a better RB2 (keep in mind, in this 14 team league this would yield a very low tier RB2 given the scarcity at RBs unless someone was REAAAALLY starving for a WR... but should at least be able to grab a team starter).

I am also aware that I am thin at WR for depth and lack a backup QB.

Thoughts?
dtownsound8
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: NOT thrilled with my RBs - what are your thoughts? WHIR

Postby robotninja » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:17 pm

It sounds like your analysis is pretty spot on, given the depth of the league if Hillis can put up a decent season then between Jacobs/Mcgahee/Williams could service as a rb2 given matchup play. Jacobs will be the best play week to week and each one of those 3 is an injury away from being a starter in run first offenses. In McGahees case it may only take Moreno sucking it up for 3-4 weeks before he because the starter.

Help on mine:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=494591
10 Team Std Scoring No PPR
QB Stafford
RB Spiller
RB Morris
WR Nelson
WR Reggie Wayne
WR/TE Jimmy Graham
Flex Ridley
K and Def by committee
Min and Hartley

Bench
A Brown (pit)
Bernard Pierce
Roy Helu
Bryce Brown
Mark Ingram
Marlon Brown
robotninja
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 29)

Postby ae213213 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:28 am

Yea i agree with ya on Hillis i think he will have a great year given jackson is out and im hoping he's more physically prepared to handle the load this year without wearing down although his style of running its inevitable to a degree. I think Jacobs is a fine number 2 considering his power at the goal line and im thinking the giants will have to put alot of points up this year to compete seeing that there d is mostly on IR. Williams/McGahee i see as similar in value although i think the ravens favor putting in that bigger back by the goal line as they did when mcgahee was there.
ae213213
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby joheshy55 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:57 am

i really dont like hakeem nicks and jacobs being on same team as rb and wr together as starting. i really dont think hakeem nicks is that good to be honest. he had like 2 or 3 good games and thats when he wasnt hurt. hes really just a high risk. if he produces i would maybe sell him high and try and bundle a trade nicks for a hightower, felix jones, maybe wells, greene, and a decent wr like stev johnson, boldin, harvin, maybe if a rookie is doing well like julio jones, greg little, jon baldwin......idk just my opinion so yah.......i am not really liking the fact you picked greenbay 7th round...... way too early for a def..... i always just try and pick my backup starters before def or kicker.. another words last 2 rounds def then kicke.. im not wasting my pick in middle rounds for key players like a sims walker, edwards, lee evans, ............ def and kickers always change year to year.........you may think you have a top 5 but really you may be holding a 6-12 or something just a lot of risk for someone to pick def in 7th round.........

please rate my team too
viewtopic.php?t=494626
joheshy55
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby TaDa » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:45 am

Your analysis of your own team is pretty spot on. I'm all for drafting best available, but for non-PPR, the AJ and Nicks pick may cost you.

For AJ, I grant you that he's a beast, but you could have probably snagged someone like a Maurice Jones-Drew and then still had someone like Greg Jennings or Hillis on the way back. Then for WRs, you would have ended up with a Miles Austin/Dwayne Bowe type players.

I am of the thought, in non-PPR especially, that WRs are too inconsistent to have over RBs. You look at a stud like AJ, you put Darelle Revis or Ed Reed on him and he's pretty much shut down. No matter how good the defensive line is, most RBs will still score 10 points or so on their worst day.

As for trades, you don't have a ton to work with. Maybe seeing if you can trade Williams to Rice's owner with Nicks for a RB1/2

Just my .02
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)

Return to Roster Ratings