Week 1 GC: New Orleans @ Green Bay - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Week 1 GC: New Orleans @ Green Bay

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 1 GC: New Orleans @ Green Bay

Postby Chicago 2 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:05 am

SmokyMcNasty wrote:What do you all make of the Ryan Grant vs James Starks battle after watching the Packers' first game?

Grant 9 carries for 40 yards
Starks 12 carries for 57 yards and a TD

I have both guys on my fantasy team and I started Ryan Grant tonight and had James Starks benched. :(

What do you guys make of this situation? Do you think one guy will eventually get the majority of the carries?... cause If they play the whole season sharing carries 50/50 I'm going to kill myself.

I drafted Starks for my bench as I felt he would get the majority of the carries at some point. I think they will use both equally as long as both stay healthy, just nice to finally have a running game again :-)

Starks looked good when he touched the ball, made some nice cuts and reads and that one run where he broke several tackles was sick. I bet he becomes the starter soon, I wanted him to start from the very beginning.
Chicago 2
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:01 am

Hippo45 wrote:His knee was already down. If that was a catch made by the receiver on the sideline everybody would have considered it in bounds. One knee equals two feet. Also, there was a third and short where the Saints got stuffed, but the refs put the ball right beyond the first down marker and didn't even measure.

His knee was down but he hadn't secured the ball yet as it was still moving until the point where his foot was already across the line. As for the spot on that third down, yup, they got one there, but they had another one earlier in the game that they got totally screwed on - it all balanced out.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:06 am

joejlitz wrote:I couldn't disagree more. Up 8 and NO had 0 timeouts left. If would require a TD and a 2pt conversion, just to tie the game. Both extremely long odds. And it worked. Nuff said, right?

I guess not, so consider the odds of Crosby making it.

Me - The longest he ever made in his career was a 56 yarder, and he has only done that once in his life - SEP 12, 2010. In his career, he has tried 137 FGs (before tonight) and kicked it 55+ only 1 time.

Me - He is 11/21 on FGs of over 50 yards in his career. You don't think McCarthy knew all of that?

You - I know, but still... :^

Okay - considering your numbers Crosby was a 50/50 shot to make the FG and LOCK UP THE GAME for them. If he missed, the Saints would still need to go 55+ with no timeouts, scored a TD and successfully convert a 2-pt conversion (keeping in mind that they were 1-for-4 in the redzone at that point) just to even TIE things up.

I still say a 50/50 chance to lock the win up was worth the attempt considering the risk. After all, the Saints had shown all night that they had no trouble eating up chunks of yardage, which they quickly did to get back the 25 yards the punt gained GB over what a missed FG attempt would have done.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Ball Movements » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:45 pm

Chicago 2 wrote:
SmokyMcNasty wrote:What do you all make of the Ryan Grant vs James Starks battle after watching the Packers' first game?

Grant 9 carries for 40 yards
Starks 12 carries for 57 yards and a TD

I have both guys on my fantasy team and I started Ryan Grant tonight and had James Starks benched. :(

What do you guys make of this situation? Do you think one guy will eventually get the majority of the carries?... cause If they play the whole season sharing carries 50/50 I'm going to kill myself.

I drafted Starks for my bench as I felt he would get the majority of the carries at some point. I think they will use both equally as long as both stay healthy, just nice to finally have a running game again :-)

Starks looked good when he touched the ball, made some nice cuts and reads and that one run where he broke several tackles was sick. I bet he becomes the starter soon, I wanted him to start from the very beginning.

I also drafted Starks for my bench. I have no intention of using him until he becomes the defacto #1 back. I think that will have to be because of an injury to Grant.

Starks did do pretty good running the ball, but was lacking in his other duties. He missed several blocks in pass protection, ran the wrong way on one play, and then was blacked back into Rodgers on another play and Rodgers arm bounced off his helmet. He is going to have to become a lot more refined of a player before they will give him the workhorse role in the backfield.

Sorry to say, but I think you are in for a long season of RBBC.
10 team, PPR, 1 qb 1rb, 2wr, 2flex (rb/wr/te), 1k, 1dst

QB: Stafford, E. Manning
RB: Peterson, Blount, Hightower, Starks, Tate, Tolbert
WR: Nicks, Wayne, Bowe, S. Johnson, M. Thomas
K: Henery
DST: Patriots
Ball Movements
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:59 pm

lmcjaho wrote:
Hippo45 wrote:His knee was already down. If that was a catch made by the receiver on the sideline everybody would have considered it in bounds. One knee equals two feet. Also, there was a third and short where the Saints got stuffed, but the refs put the ball right beyond the first down marker and didn't even measure.

His knee was down but he hadn't secured the ball yet as it was still moving until the point where his foot was already across the line. As for the spot on that third down, yup, they got one there, but they had another one earlier in the game that they got totally screwed on - it all balanced out.

Your both missing the point. knee down, knee up, knee to the groin, it doesn't matter. He didn't finish the process of downing the punt.

Yes, I am being bitterly sarcastic, a holdover from the rediculous "process" blown call in the Lions first game. By the spirit of the rule and the eye test, the ball was downed properly. By the convoluted arcane rulings of the NFL who in the heck knows. Its funny but it seems that in the attempt to keep zebras from using their good judgement they use vague verbage to make those zebras use poor judgement.

Starks looked better than Grant, who looks even less elusive if that's possible. But Grant tends to pick up blitzers every now and then, and last night showed, once again, that you have to do what you can to keep Mr. Rodgers on his feet. He is the leagues most lethal weapon.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting