Update: Lynch, Mathews or Grant? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Update: Lynch, Mathews or Grant?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Update: Lynch, Mathews or Grant?

Postby ramble2 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:34 am

Not sure this would be accepted, but I'd like to add Mathews to my team to upgrade from Lynch. Not a huge upgrade, admittedly, but one with a much higher ceiling.

My Lynch + Mike Thomas for Ryan Mathews; 14 team league; non-PPR

Is this giving up too much? Does it sound fair? I'm a big Thomas fan, though I think his value takes a hit from not having Garrard, and I think he'll end up being easily replaceable. Plus I have a great top 3 WR already.

My team:
QB: Stafford
RB: McFadden
RB: Tolbert
WR: A. Johnson
WR: M. Wallace
W/R: M. Williams (TB)
TE: D. Clark
K: J. Brown
DEF: DET
IDP: Urlacher, Ruud, J. Harrison
Bench: Sam Bradford, Lynch, Mike Thomas, Tomlinson

His team:
QB: Cutler
RB: Foster
RB: Gore
WR: Britt
WR: Austin
TE: Gonzalez
W/R: Grant
K: Bironas
DEF: NO
IDP: doesn't matter
Bench: Colston, Mathews, S. Smith (CAR), Kolb
Last edited by ramble2 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramble2
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Lynch + Thomas for Mathews

Postby Ragoczy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:01 pm

I see it as a coin flip. Matthews is going to split time with Tolbert by all reports while Lynch is 'the man' in Seattle. Seattle's O-line stinks outside of Okung though and with T-Jax at QB I see a lot of 8-man fronts in Lynch's future. Plus it isn't like Lynch did anything last year for them outside of the big run against the Saints. I think it comes down to whether or not you want to give up Thomas. I think I would make the deal if possible.
Ragoczy
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby ATLbraves » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Lynch could have a break out year, but Mathews is definitely the safer RB since Seattle's offense will most likely struggle.
Since you have such a strong WR corp, I say go for it and accept the trade.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=494737
ATLbraves
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ramble2 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Update
I inquired about Lynch for Mathews straight up, and got the following counteroffers in response:

• Mathews + S. Smith (CAR) for Lynch + Thomas
  • Ryan Grant straight up for Lynch

What do people think? The first is obviously better for me than what I originally posted (I end up with Smith in addition to Mathews, even if I'm not blown away by Smith). The second is pretty intriguing.

If I'm going to move Lynch, which deal do you like better for me?
ramble2
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Update: Lynch, Mathews or Grant?

Postby Vobs56 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:59 pm

both counter offers are very fair for both sides but I would opt for the lynch+thomas for mathews+smith trade. i think grant is a better running back than lynch but not by much, but I would go that direction because mike mccarthy has already stated that he intends to have grant split carries with james starks tomorrow night against the saints. when you have a head coach saying that to the media it's usually meant to light a fire under their butts to see who wants the job the most so the guy that performs will get the carries. if starks continues his success from the playoffs and grant finds it difficult to regain his form, you'll be out a good running back if lynch is in beast mode this season. with the other trade you get the upgrade at rb. mathews is not only a better back than lynch but he's on a much better team, a bolts team that had the number 1 offense in the regular season last year, and the chargers also have a very good offensive line, much better than seattle's. i think mike thomas is capable of having a better year than steve smith (car) but with garrard being cut i'll give the edge to steve smith. hope that helps. good luck!
Vobs56
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby McDuff » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:17 pm

•Mathews + S. Smith (CAR) for Lynch + Thomas
•Ryan Grant straight up for Lynch

He countered you with an upgrade? If you were happy before you should be really happy now! Likely he just does not want to drop smith for someone else to pickup.

I don't like Grant / Lynch deal tho. At least Seattle has not yet found the guy to replace Lynch while GB already has a timeshare and heir apparent in Starks.

But make no mistake Lynch is not good and Seattle looks really really terrible,
Ryan and Steve for Marshawn and Thomas is a go for me.
Do it before it's too late. Matthews MIGHT even turn out to be that great guy SD wanted all along, you know maybe, but you have Tolbert so it's happy times!
McDuff
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ramble2 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:38 pm

McDuff wrote:He countered you with an upgrade? If you were happy before you should be really happy now!

Oh, I'm very happy! Very glad I started with Lynch for Mathews straight up, just to test the waters.

Thanks for the advice, it was helpful.

Anyone else have thoughts on which counter to accept?
ramble2
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Prestige Worldwide » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:37 am

I would do either of those deals. I would take the first one and run.
Prestige Worldwide
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby rotoquest » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:17 am

Prestige Worldwide wrote:I would do either of those deals. I would take the first one and run.

As new as I am to fantasy football, I can see that you should take the first deal pronto. However, I did find this on rotoworld:
Coach Norv Turner said he thinks Ryan Mathews is "getting better as a down-to-down consistent runner."
Mathews blew a blitz pickup on Thursday night that led to a sack and lost fumble. The second-year back later redeemed himself by breaking off a 56-yard touchdown run at the beginning of the second quarter. Until the highly talented Mathews gains more consistency, he's going to be in a timeshare with Mike Tolbert.

Thanks for the help on mine and the good advice. Good luck this year.
rotoquest
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)

Postby ramble2 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:29 am

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. Between this and a who to start/bench post, I ended up starting Tolbert, and trading Lynch and Thomas for Mathews and Steve Smith. Couldn't have worked out better. It looks like Newton has an arm, and Smith doesn't need much of a QB to be a useful WR. Chalk up a win for the Cafe!
ramble2
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions