First time fantasy football players very first draft. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

First time fantasy football players very first draft.

Moderator: Football Moderators

First time fantasy football players very first draft.

Postby ObeYsXeGianT » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:34 am

So I admit during the draft a lot of my last picks were just picks based on not researching some players I didn't know much about and have since touched it up from waivers/free agency. I still feel like I could use a little work though.

It's a 14 team league with the slots as follows:

QB WR WR WR RB RB TE W/R K DEF/ST DB DB DL DL LB LB BN BN BN BN BN BN

The scoring(which as far as I understand it is far from standard) is as follows:

Offense:
Completions: 0.5
Passing Yards : 10 yds = 1 pt
Passing Touchdowns: 6
Interceptions: -3
Rushing Attempts: .5
Rushing Yards: 10 yds = 1 pt
Rushing Touchdowns: 6
Receptions: 1
Reception Yards: 10 yds = 1 pt
Reception Touchdowns: 6
2 Point Conversions: 2
Fumbles Lost: -3
Offensive Fumble Return TD: 6
40+ Yard Completions/Rushing Attempts/Receptions: 4

Defense:
Tackle Solo: 1
Tackle Assist: .5
Sack: 5
Interception: 5
Fumble Force: 5
Fumble Recovery: 5
Defensive Touchdown: 6
Safety: 2
Pass Defended: 2
Block Kick: 2

My current team is as follows:

QB: Michael Vick
WR: DeSean Jackson
WR: Brandon Marshall
WR: Plaxico Burress
RB: Shonn Greene
RB: BenJarvus Green-Ellis
TE: Dustin Keller
W/R: Roy Williams
BN: Lance Moore
BN: Josh Freeman
BN: Thomas Jones
BN: Chris Cooley

K: Rob Bironas

DEF/ST: Cleveland

DB: Tyvon Branch
DB: Kerry Rhodes
DL: Ndamukong Suh
DL: John Abraham
LB: David Harris
LB: Demarcus Ware
BN: LaRon Landry
BN: Osi Umenyiora

So as I said this was my first draft and it was sure a learning experience. If I could go back and try it again I feel I would have a much better shot at it.

First of all I know Cleveland isn't a great DEF but all the great ones are gone so my plan was to just change it every week based on projected stats/matchups and according to the yahoo projected stats Cleveland is number one in week 1. No clue if this is a good idea but I came up with it after seeing how the projected stats changed from week to week so drastically based on matchup.

Overall I am very happy with my defensive players and picked up nearly all of them from free agency. Osi and LaRon aren't played the first/first couple of games so I have them to replace some of my other players when they are good to go or maybe even use them as trade fodder since the majority of my league failed at drafting defenses. Any help on who to keep and who to drop would be awesome since I am using 2/6 BN spots on defensive players that don't seem to produce a whole lot of points.

On to the meat and potatoes of the team. My offense. I feel like I am weak on backs and have been looking for a good way to get a top back out of Michael Vick. I have offered Vick/LaRon for Ray Rice and Matt Ryan to a team who is deep in backs and had a terrible defense but I doubt he will take that trade. I have a couple of sure trades that some friends of mine in the league have offered me for Vick but I am hesitant to take them.

The first is Tom Brady and Matt Forte for Vick and Green-Ellis. In my completely noob opinions this seemed like a good trade to me in that I get a top QB for a top QB and a top-ish RB for a not so top-ish RB. My only problem with this trade is that I am giving one of my few good backs in order to get another back and I feel like I am going to still be looking for a running back with less trade fodder to get one.

The second is Peyton Manning and Darren McFadden for Vick and Brandon Marshall to a buddy who has a lot of backs but few good receivers. I am hesitant of this trade for the obvious reason of Peyton's injury. I do have Freeman to go for me until Peyton is up to speed and I gain a very good RB and I feel I am pretty deep in WRs and as a Jets fan I just have a good feeling about Plax(fingers crossed). But as I said Peyton's injury scares the heck out of me. I read some unofficial reports that said Peyton may be out the whole season and that scares me. I can handle him missing a few games but he has to come back and perform in order for this trade to be worth it.

The second trade feels like it would be the best trade for me IF Peyton gets back on the field in a timely manner, but it is risky. The doubtful trade I have proposed for Rice/Ryan would give me an elite back and I would have two pretty good QB's ready to go each week. I don't know which of these trades I should make if any.

I always have the option of keeping Vick and either trying to trade Freeman(there are a couple of decent QBs in FA that would probably do in a pinch in case Vick misses a game or two) or one of my WRs for a running back. I have no idea what I could expect to get for them.

The last idea I had was based on my first couple of matchups. The first two matchups I have are with people who missed the draft (the first is with a guy who drafted 4 WRs in the first 4 rounds) and the autodraft gave them teams that I am confident I can beat with what I have now and see how some of the backs in FA are doing and maybe pick them up. For example Montario Hardesty and Roy Helu are undrafted and I can see them possibly being productive enough to get me through a few matchups.

I apologize for such a long post but I wanted to give as much information as possible to make the help I receive be as accurate as possible. I am regretting taking Vick in the First RD(8th pick) as he is turning out to be a headache since I didn't wind up with a good batch of backs (again, in my total noob opinions - please correct is wrong).

Any and all advice is more than welcomed. Thanks to everyone for their time.
ObeYsXeGianT
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: First time fantasy football players very first draft.

Postby mongo366 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:02 pm

Wow, your're right, that was a lot of information. BUT it did provide a clear explanation of where you are and where you are thinking of going. First, I will address your team outside of defense (I know nothing about IDP leagues):

QB: Michael Vick - Awesome. Big fan of Vick, especially in a league that rewards the big play.
WR: DeSean Jackson - Awesome. Will provide 40+ yard receptions.
WR: Brandon Marshall - Awesome. Excellent WR2 especially in PPR leagues.
WR: Plaxico Burress - Good. I agree that he is in for a lot of red zone targets. Not a bad WR3.
RB: Shonn Greene - Good. I like Greene, but am concerned about his lack of big-play potential and few receptions.
RB: BenJarvus Green-Ellis - OK. Not a lot to get excited about. Should be an ok RB2 in a 14-team league.
TE: Dustin Keller - OK.
W/R: Roy Williams - Not Good. I would move Moore into your starting lineup when his is healthy. Williams seems to have a lot of bad karma right now.
Bench - Freeman is great backup QB. Moore is a potential every-week starter. No backup RB could be a problem in bye weeks.

So, I actually really like your offense. Your RBs are definitely your weakness, but I don't think it is enough to take you out of contention.

As for making a trade to improve your team, I would not consider any of the trades you discussed other than Brady and Forte. Even then, I think Vick is significantly more valuable than Brady in a league with your scoring settings. Brady does not have big-play receivers (Ocho stinks IMHO) and is not going to make plays on the ground. You may be better off trying to trade Marshall or Jackson plus BGE for an upgrade at RB and a downgrade at WR.

Overall, I think you did a good job. You should have a chance at the playoffs and even the champioship if things go right.

Please take a look at my league if you have a minute. Would really appreciate your opininon.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=495050

Thanks.
mongo366
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Roster Ratings