The Manning QB Replacement Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

The Manning QB Replacement Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Manning QB Replacement Thread

Postby RJason » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:34 pm

Okay, I'm assuming 100's of posts regarding Manning being out are about to come up (I'm one such unfortunate owner). Instead of individual threads with players available for each individual. I was hoping we could have a main list of ranked backups that are likely to be available in most leagues.

Off the top: immediate adds to replace manning

Matthew Stafford
Sam Bradford
Josh Freeman

Best of the rest: please rank these (currently ranked by %owned)

Kevin Kolb
Jay Cutler
Kyle Orton
Matt Cassel (Moeaki is out)
Mark Sanchez
Donovan McNabb
Ryan Fizpatrick
Colt McCoy
Matt Hasselbeck

Assuming these guys should be left on the wire:

Jason Campbell
Alex Smith
Rex Grossman
Kerry Collins
Chad Henne

So, to help all owners who will be asking this question, what are your thoughts and opinions on the middle group, as I suspect these will be the best options left on most waiver wires.

I drafted Bradford and immediately picked up Orton, but am seriously debating dropping Orton for Cutler, Sanchez, Fitz, or McCoy...

Thanks, Robert Jason
RJason
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: The Manning QB Replacement Thread

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:15 pm

I would much rather have Culter than Orton. Sure some weeks he will be just okay but some weeks he will put up monster numbers. He throws too good of a ball for those receivers hes got, they cant catch the ball.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Re: The Manning QB Replacement Thread

Postby RJason » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:12 pm

I followed your advice, THANKS. After much research on the two... I dropped Orton and picked up Cutler.

I normally play week-to-week when I need a fill-in just to get some wins while the dust settles on a lot of situations. However, Ortons advantage over Cutler for week 1 seemed negligible. Orton is playing against a weaker secondary, but he's got a run heavy coach now. I also expect that game to be lower scoring overall. Whereas Cutler may have a tougher time, but he also might hit Knox for a 80yd TD in a single play attempting to catch up to Atlanta's offense. So, they seemed like a wash this week, I picked up Cutler because aside from this week, he is by far the best potential of the two. In fact, if what I've been reading about Cutler and his receivers is true, he may surpass Bradford as my main starter. Either way, none will replace Manning.
RJason
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions