What happens this year with Ryan Grant and James Starks? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What happens this year with Ryan Grant and James Starks?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What happens this year with Ryan Grant and James Starks?

Postby SmokyMcNasty » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:07 am

What do you all make of the Ryan Grant vs James Starks battle after watching tonight's game?

Grant 9 carries for 40 yards
Starks 12 carries for 57 yards and a TD

I have both guys on my fantasy team and I started Ryan Grant tonight and had James Starks benched. :(

What do you guys make of this situation? Do you think one guy will eventually get the majority of the carries?... cause If they play the whole season sharing carries 50/50 I'm going to kill myself.
SmokyMcNasty
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: What happens this year with Ryan Grant and James Starks?

Postby TaDa » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:57 am

Was very evident in last night's game. Starks is the more explosive back. That TD was great. BUT, and this is big, Grant is a MUCH better blocker. Starks doesn't have his pass blocking skills honed, and being that the Packers are a pass-heavy offense, I see Grant getting a lot of "playing time" while most likely getting less touches than Starks. If Starks can get the pass protection down, I think Grant it looking for a new job soon.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)

Postby zechs » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:05 am

To me, it is evident that this will be a 50/50, 60/40 type of split as long as Grant is healthy. Your best bet is to try to sell high on either RB (preferably Grant) and try to get back a RB with a less muddled RB situation.
14tm. PPR+IDP+return-yds. league
QB-Cam
RB-Shady,DMartin WR-JulioJ,Colston,VJax
TE-Finley K & IDP-[streaming]
BN-JStewart,MReece,Britt,Amendola,BMyers,Kaepernick,BryceB
zechs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LSUby50 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:50 am

i drafted Grant and was hoping for a 5th round steal. Was pretty dissapointed in how they used him last night. Still looks like GBay will be a pass first offense. Grant started and got only a couple of series, they got a lead and then Starks got the bulk of the carries throughout the game, Grant came back in for garbage time when everyone knew they were going to be running the ball(maybe for better ball security?). Looks like this will be pretty evenly split, but Starks is younger and as mentioned, learning the blocking schemes, so i think Starks has the higher upside but neither will be great fantasy rbs this season.
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 73)

Postby spodog » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:23 am

zechs wrote:To me, it is evident that this will be a 50/50, 60/40 type of split as long as Grant is healthy. Your best bet is to try to sell high on either RB (preferably Grant) and try to get back a RB with a less muddled RB situation.

+1
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:32 am

Coach Mike McCarthy concedes that James Starks "probably didn't have the attempts that he deserved" in the opening-night victory over the Saints.
Starks didn't touch the ball until five minutes were gone in the second quarter. From then on, he rushed for 57 yards on 12 carries compared to Ryan Grant's six carries for 21 yards in the same span. Grant was the more fundamentally sound pass protector, but there's no denying the chasm separating the two as runners right now. Starks' role will continue to grow at Grant's expense.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby fuzzeemonkey » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:38 am

I have Grant in one league (I sat him) and Stark in another (I played him) and will likely keep it that way until a couple more weeks pass. I played Starks in the one league because it's ppr and he's be catching the ball a ton...then no catches last night..but I'll take that sweet TD he got. I am a huge Grant supporter but I think his time in GB is waning and am hoping he might get traded to a good team if Starks can get his pass protection skills up to par. You're not going to get much trade value out of Grant right now, so you might as well hold onto him until he's playable/expendable for your team.
fuzzeemonkey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby SmokyMcNasty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 am

Just when it's looking like Starks is going to take over as the feature back for the Packers, he gets thoroughly outplayed by Grant yesterday.

Starks 11 carries for 5 friggin yards
Grant 17 carries for 92 yards

Neither scored a TD... but yet again I start the wrong guy. LOL I'm about ready to drop them both. I'm done playing the guessing game every Sunday. Neither guy has any true fantasy value until the other one is hurt.. this is sad...
SmokyMcNasty
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 14)

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:57 pm

Yeah I was thinking that Grant had all but lost his job. So I dropped him for Helu. Then he comes out with 100 yard rushing game..... WTF
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby TaDa » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:57 am

Looks like Grant will be a scratch for week 4. Let's see what Starks can do as the feature back against Denver.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)

Return to Football Talk