Auction Draft Virgin - Did I Get Screwed? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

Auction Draft Virgin - Did I Get Screwed?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Auction Draft Virgin - Did I Get Screwed?

Postby mnkyboy_21 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:03 pm

I had my first auction draft last night, and I'm afraid that I got a little too excited and may have prematurely evacuated (my funds). Did I really get screwed, or is it all in my head? (I've included some of the WW options if you have any suggestions)

12 team league, $210/team
2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1FLEX (RB/WR/TE), 1TE, 1K, 1DST, 5BE

2QB: T Romo (26), D McNabb ($8)
2RB: A Peterson (65), S Jackson (39)
3WR: R White (43), K Britt ($8), N Burleson (1)
FLEX (RB/WR/TE): A Brown (1)?
1TE: J Finley (12)
1K: J Brown (1)
1DST: Patriots (1)
BENCH: B Tate (1), K Hunter (1), D Carter (1), K Williams (1), Lions D/ST (1)

WW RB: R Helu, D Murray, D Ward, M Barber, D Karim, C Williams, J Snelling, A Dixon, C Taylor, T Gerhart
WW WR: S Breaston, D Hester, D Mason, E Sanders, G Little, S Smith (Phi), E Royal, K Walter, N Washington
WW TE: A Hernandez, C Cooley, L Kendricks, T Heap, B Celek, J Cook
WW QB: L McCown, J Beck, C Ponder

Scoring...
Passing: 4/TD, 1/25yd, -0.5/attempt, 1.0/completion, -2/INT
Rushing: 6/TD, 1/10yd
Receiving: 6/TD, 1/10yd, 0.5PPR
For special team players: 12/TD, 0.3/10yd KR, 0.6/10yd PR
mnkyboy_21
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Auction Draft Virgin - Did I Get Screwed?

Postby Chaoyi Shih » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:34 pm

good thing is that team is competitive in the 12ppl league

Overpriced
AP (around 55 in 12ppl, 60 in 14ppl)
S.Jackson (30 is highest you should spend on him, sometime i got MJD for 30 if i picked my timing correctly)

Fair
White

Cheap
Finley (for $12 is definitely worth it, can go easily over $20)

for 2QB league, i would prefer you spend less on RB, for example, instead of AP+S.Jackson, what if you got Gore+Mendenhall or some combination like that, which should cost you much less than 104. then use those extra money to get something like Romo+Brees or Brady+Big Ben, something like that.

when league have large starting position, (9 in your league, not including K and Def), which is total of 108 position to be filled, 24QB, 24RB, 36WR and 12 TE with +12RB, 12WR or 12TE.
QB should be the first thing you target, because there's approximately 10 above average QB and 5 of them are elite QB, so it's 10/24. oppose to RB, where you have 5 elite RB and around 20-25 above average RBs + some sleeper, so it's 25+/24, meaning it should be much less valuable, and those top RB will normally skyrocket their price like a superhero (AP, CJohnson, Charles, Rice, Foster(before injury))

there's slightly more WRs than RBs, however, there's also more position to be filled (total of 36 compare to RB's 24). therefore, you should make sure you get some decent WR so your WRs doesnt look too bad. (your league is WR 0.5 WRs, that made WR even more important, despite the fact RB normally give you more points than WR)

as virgin auction drafter, i don't think you are too bad, but there's definitely room for improvement and there's different strategy when you are surrounded by high roll bidder or conservative bidder
Chaoyi Shih
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 230)

Postby mnkyboy_21 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:29 pm

Chaoyi,

Wow! Incredible feedback! Thank you for being so comprehensive and thoughtful in your response. You really gave me a LOT to think about for future auction drafts, and a great way to think about value overall. Hopefully, this input will be helpful to others as well.

I know what you mean about my RB. I told myself that I wouldn't overpay for RB and would save for QB/WR, but I didn't listen to myself when it came time to bid. Prices were all overinflated for RB, so I should have sat back and waited for bargains.

Examples of top RB prices in our league: C Johnson (63), Charles (61), R Rice (61), Foster (56), McCoy (53), Mendenhall (52), Hillis (51), Gore (40), MJD (49).
RB for 25-35 included: D McFadden (30), J Best (26), Bradshaw (24), Hightower (23), Blount (24), F Jones (24), D Williams (20)
QB: Rodgers (62), Vick (61), Brady (56), Rivers (49), Brees (48), Big Ben (28), Romo (26)

Gore+Mendenhall would have cost me around $92 (only $12 savings), but I could have had a 1/2/3 combo of RB that included Bradshaw, Blount, and Jones for $72, and had an extra $32 in my budget. I could have gotten Stafford, Bradford, or Freeman as my QB2 for $24/15/14, and still had at least another $8-18 left to get better WR2/3/Flex/Bench players. I was sick when I started to see prices like...Ingram (10), Starks (8), K Collins (5), Amendola (4), M Floyd (2), L Moore (1)...and had no room left in my budget.

I wouldn't have been able to pull off something like Gore+Mendenhall+Brady+Big Ben ($176). That would have left me with $29 for WR1/2/3, Flex, TE, and $1/ea for bench. However, I certainly could have done a much better job of spreading the wealth and giving my team a better chance in case of any injuries/busts/etc.

Hopefully, as you say, the team will still be competitive in a 12 team league. Any thoughts on WW moves??? :)
mnkyboy_21
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Chaoyi Shih » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:13 pm

thank you for posting you league price, and i didn't expect QB in your league to be that expensive (i really under-estimate the influence of 2QB)
after seeing how your league price flow, i think you did better than i originally think you did without knowing your league price. Romo for 26 seems like a good deal now.

However, just remember do not wait too long and let all the talented got away

M.Floyd and Amendola might sounds nice, but you can never win a league with 9 Ingram, Amendola tier player as your starter.
Many conservative play saved their money for too long, and end up bidding on those average or below average RB, WR for cheap price, which is great for bench, but you need good starters to win the game.

make sure you keep in check how many talented player still in pool

G Little is worth gamble if you have extra space, E Sanders might surprise you. that's pretty much it, seems like your league is pretty good at grabbing potential player, not much good WW to get.
Chaoyi Shih
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 230)

Postby c0megets0me » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:23 am

I think you did really well, for a 12 team league i think you have a real contender.
ROSTER/8 team standard scoring
QB-M.Ryan/M.Vick
RB-T.Richardson/S.Jax/L.Miller/E.Lacy/Mathews
WR-Megatron/Fitz/Amendola/H.Nicks
FLEX- RB/WR
TE-J.Camron/J.Thomas
c0megets0me
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Return to Roster Ratings