Help with weekly resetting waiver priorities - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Help with weekly resetting waiver priorities

Moderator: Football Moderators

Help with weekly resetting waiver priorities

Postby salaryprotection » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:24 am

So I'm wondering if I screwed up my grand waiver plan (first year FFB manager here). Picked last in draft (NFL.com), so I had #1 waiver priority for the first week. Players clear waivers the Wednesday of the following week (1 day waivers).

After week 1, I am now 9th place (lol), so I log on today to see the waiver priorities have reset, meaning I'm #2 waiver now.

I was hoping to cash in the #1 waiver today and then use the #2 after the week 2 games, but is that not possible now? I actually picked up D Henderson off waivers after the GB/NO game, but I wanted to cancel that claim and pick up someone else, like maybe Newton (for example's sake, might pick someone else). Can I still do that, or will the system stick me with #2 waiver the minute I cancel D Henderson and go for Newton?

Similarly, say I don't cancel D Henderson but claim Newton as well. Will it use the previous week's priorities for those transactions, ie use the #1 priority for Henderson and then use #10 priority (since I roll back) on Newton? Or will it use #1 priority on Henderson (since I picked him up on Thursday), and then use the current #2 priority on Newton?

Hopefully I explained it clearly enough. I come from the fantasy basketball world so this waiver thing is new to me. Seems like a much more powerful tool than in Fantasy BB too.
10 Team Non-Keeper, Standard Scoring, Non-PPR

QB - Vick
RB - D McFadden, P Hillis
WR - M Colston, V Jackson
TE - T Gonzalez
W/R
K - D Akers
D - Oak

QB - J Flacco
RB - R Tolbert, K Moreno
WR - J Ford, D Moore, D Heyward-Bey
TE - A Hernandez
salaryprotection
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Help with weekly resetting waiver priorities

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:01 pm

So it's a 10-team league, right?

Looks like your league re-sets waivers each and every week based on first-to-worst order of the standings. I'm not sure if it's reset based on your weekly performance or your overall record, so you might want to check on that.

Either way, it basically means you lost the #1 priority when you didn't put in a claim before the first week (after your draft, players were probably locked for a certain period of time and then went through waivers before becoming free agents for first-come, first-served (FCFS) pickups. After you didn't use the No. 1 spot there, you ostensibly "lost" it unless you finished last after the first week. Since you finished 9th, you get the second waiver spot (again, check to see if the waivers reset each week based on weekly record/points scored, or for the combined record/points for the whole season, as that will have an effect on how things play out after this week).

I'm a bit confused about the status of Henderson - is he on your roster, or was he locked until this Wednesday because his game had started (more likely, but I wanted to be sure)? Either way, you should/would be able to cancel your claim for him before the date with no penalty or threat of losing the spot as far as I know. Since you have the No. 2 spot and want Newton, you should be able to set up some sort of prioritized list (I'm not familiar with NFL.com's specific game, but this is pretty standard) where you can make Newton your first priority pickup and then Henderson or whoever else your second. That way if the guy with the No. 1 ww claim picks Newton you still get your second choice.

As long as they reset every week, regardless of the reason, I'd recommend using your high claim on either Newton or someone like Tate, Cadillac Williams and then go from there. Since you'll roll to the bottom of the list after that, you can certainly make more claims, but you'll probably only get one premium guy, so make sure to set your order accordingly and get once big fish before scraping the bottom of the barrel time starts ...

Hope this wall of text helps ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Help with weekly resetting waiver priorities

Postby salaryprotection » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:47 pm

Thanks very much, I think you pretty much answered all my questions! Too bad that #1 waiver went to waste but oh well.

To answer your question, Henderson is not on my roster yet, but I put a claim on him Thursday night thinking that the #1 priority would apply to him. So the way I understand it, my (current) #2 priority will be used on him unless I fix my preferences amongst all the claims I put before tomorrow (Wed). So yea, I'll definitely be fixing that or even canceling that claim lol.

Also, not sure if the resets are based on weekly vs overall standings/performance, but I do know it prioritizes W-L over points scored. For example, the top two scoring teams ended up playing each other week 1, so the loser ended up getting the #5 waiver priority despite being the 2nd highest scoring team so far (10 team league). Not a bad consolation.
10 Team Non-Keeper, Standard Scoring, Non-PPR

QB - Vick
RB - D McFadden, P Hillis
WR - M Colston, V Jackson
TE - T Gonzalez
W/R
K - D Akers
D - Oak

QB - J Flacco
RB - R Tolbert, K Moreno
WR - J Ford, D Moore, D Heyward-Bey
TE - A Hernandez