Took over a team... my first year playing!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Beginner's Forum

Took over a team... my first year playing!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Took over a team... my first year playing!!!

Postby Xrunner » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:51 pm

So a guy in a friends league was being a complete ass and he got kicked out of it. I previously had expressed interest in fantasy football, but never pulled the trigger cause i was clueless. Well, now i own a team and it seems pretty good. I know i can make some improvements, but the main thing is; I dont know who to put in for week 2. My first week didnt go so well. It had started before i took over and whoever was there were the ones i got points for, no bigs. It was mainly because some of the good players i do have got off to a slow start like many super stars in the nfl did this week. RB's ??? Hehe...

Anyways, i know this is a total noob question. But thats what i am. A n00b. So i throw myself at your tender mercies. :-o
Here is my team. Any help would be great. Im just not sure who to start. I have some idea but anyways...

QB-Kolb (Did great against Car.)
RB- Mendenhall (i like him this week versus Seattle)
RB- Shonn Green (i only have 2 RBs and not much of a choice, but i like him cause LT wont get the ball ALL the time...i hope)
WR- Deion Branch (Seems like a no brainer here)
WR- Anquan Bolden(not sure)
WR- Reggie Wayne (not sure, but he did well even with Collins horrible performance. If manning is good, then another no brainer)
K- Vinatieri (Meh)
DEF- Vikings( not sure, but i like this Def for some reason against TB)

On the bench i have:
Cutler ( not sure i like him on the road in NO cause that place is LOUD!)
Jordy Nelson(GB is so loaded that im not sure if he will get the ball that much)
Aaron Hernandez( I really think i should put him in for Bolden, but Flaco is looking good)
San Fransisco DEF ( i'd rather take my chances with the Vikes against TB than Frisco against the Cowboys who are looking for someone to beat up after that loss)
Xrunner
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 27
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Took over a team... my first year playing!!!

Postby Xrunner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:00 am

No input yet? Hmmm, ok. Not even a "welcome to the forum, n00b!" Heh...

More thoughts i have are i should sit Bolden against the better secondary of Tenessee and put Jordy Nelson at Carolina. Im thinking that BAL will pound Rice more than throw it to Bolden. And i am thinking GB will tear up CAR more than ARI did.


Any thoughts at all??????

EDIT: Or am i in the wrong section to be posting this? I figured since i am a new guy this would be ok...
Xrunner
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 27
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Took over a team... my first year playing!!!

Postby Xrunner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:25 pm

Man! Am i on the wrong forum? Surely somebody can tell me something. You guys really know how to make a guy feel welcomed :-S
Xrunner
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 27
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Took over a team... my first year playing!!!

Postby c0megets0me » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:00 pm

Welcome to the forum.....your team looks pretty good but has some holes. Your Wr's are a little thin and I would to drop a Def their is no reason to carry 2. you can use that empty spot to add depth at another position. good luck
Image
ROSTER/8 team standard scoring
QB-M.Ryan/M.Vick
RB-T.Richardson/S.Jax/L.Miller/E.Lacy/Mathews
WR-Megatron/Fitz/Amendola/H.Nicks
FLEX- RB/WR
TE-J.Camron/J.Thomas
c0megets0me
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1955
(Past Year: 27)
Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Took over a team... my first year playing!!!

Postby Xrunner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:41 pm

c0megets0me wrote:Welcome to the forum.....your team looks pretty good but has some holes. Your Wr's are a little thin and I would to drop a Def their is no reason to carry 2. you can use that empty spot to add depth at another position. good luck


No reason to carry 2 def? Do you like 49's D at Dallas? I dont.

I wish i had some options for my WR's. I actually dropped a couple guys and picked up Branch and Hernandez.
Xrunner
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 27
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Took over a team... my first year playing!!!

Postby Chaoyi Shih » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:14 am

welcome to forum.
i am assuming it's 12-14 teams league from the looks of your team

if it's 10 teams league, it's average at best, and possibly below average
for 12 teams league, average
for 14 teams league, decent

don't waste a spot for bench Def, if you have top def team like packers, steelers, ravens, eagles, just play them through out the season and only grab extra one for bye week
if you don't have strong def, then just pick it from waiver week by week

you are missing TE position, and that's where Hernandez should go
what's your league starting requirement? 1QB 2RB 2WR 1flex 1TE? or 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE, or maybe some other format?

you need a better QB, try grab Fitzpatrick or Newton from waiver if it's available. otherwise Grossman or Henne might work if you can get it from waiver.

RBs seems ok, mendenhall will have big come back in week2, Greene is okay as your RB2
WRs is okay, Wayne will be fine even without Manning, the Colts will rely on Wayne more than ever.
Boldin and Branch is okay, and you really don't have other options anyway

after you place Hernandez on TE, you only have 3 bench, and delete bench def, you only have 2, and with most league allow 6 bench spot, you should fill it with some potential RB, WR and QB
Chaoyi Shih
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 994
(Past Year: 224)
Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Took over a team... my first year playing!!!

Postby Xrunner » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:24 am

Chaoyi Shih wrote:welcome to forum.
i am assuming it's 12-14 teams league from the looks of your team

if it's 10 teams league, it's average at best, and possibly below average
for 12 teams league, average
for 14 teams league, decent

don't waste a spot for bench Def, if you have top def team like packers, steelers, ravens, eagles, just play them through out the season and only grab extra one for bye week
if you don't have strong def, then just pick it from waiver week by week

you are missing TE position, and that's where Hernandez should go
what's your league starting requirement? 1QB 2RB 2WR 1flex 1TE? or 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE, or maybe some other format?

you need a better QB, try grab Fitzpatrick or Newton from waiver if it's available. otherwise Grossman or Henne might work if you can get it from waiver.

RBs seems ok, mendenhall will have big come back in week2, Greene is okay as your RB2
WRs is okay, Wayne will be fine even without Manning, the Colts will rely on Wayne more than ever.
Boldin and Branch is okay, and you really don't have other options anyway

after you place Hernandez on TE, you only have 3 bench, and delete bench def, you only have 2, and with most league allow 6 bench spot, you should fill it with some potential RB, WR and QB


Thanks for the input. Almost everyone i have talked to say that my team is good. Not totally baddass, but good. You are the only one that says otherwise. So either you are full of S**T or you are a genious. Hahaha!!

ANyways, I think you have some good points though. The league is set up as;

QB
W/T
W/T
W/T
RB
RB
K
DEF/ST

I can pick up Henne, but who do i get rid of? Cutler or Kolb. I sorta like them both depending who they are playing, obviously.

And who would you say to get rid of DEF wise? Do i keep the Vikes?
Xrunner
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 27
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Took over a team... my first year playing!!!

Postby Chaoyi Shih » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:46 am

don't take me wrong, your team does have chance to go to play-off and it's not a bad team
However, i just simply compare your team to the leagues i've joined and evaluate the the ranking

to me, good strong team will be like top 3 in the league, and any team that is rank 4-5 is about average, rank 6-7 is average or below average, then 7-10 is just not that good, and i see your team around 4-6 in most of my leagues

but some people might think rank 5-6 is good, 7-10 is bad, which is why you heard different opinion from me and others
just how people define the word "Good" differently

if you like Kolb, keep Kolb, afterall it's your team, and i am not so sure if Henne can keep his week1 performance through out the season, but it's worth a bench spot. if you have extra space, start Kolb for week2, but Cutler is better QB overall so don't drop him, and Henne is like your stock QB that you hope he will rise and become A.Rodger and if he doesn't, you can drop him later.

for defense part, i am assuming Pit, GB, Bal, Phi, Chi, NYJ...etc are all taken, see if you can get Houston from waiver.
hope that helps
Chaoyi Shih
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 994
(Past Year: 224)
Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Took over a team... my first year playing!!!

Postby Xrunner » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:03 pm

Chaoyi Shih wrote:don't take me wrong, your team does have chance to go to play-off and it's not a bad team
However, i just simply compare your team to the leagues i've joined and evaluate the the ranking

to me, good strong team will be like top 3 in the league, and any team that is rank 4-5 is about average, rank 6-7 is average or below average, then 7-10 is just not that good, and i see your team around 4-6 in most of my leagues

but some people might think rank 5-6 is good, 7-10 is bad, which is why you heard different opinion from me and others
just how people define the word "Good" differently

if you like Kolb, keep Kolb, afterall it's your team, and i am not so sure if Henne can keep his week1 performance through out the season, but it's worth a bench spot. if you have extra space, start Kolb for week2, but Cutler is better QB overall so don't drop him, and Henne is like your stock QB that you hope he will rise and become A.Rodger and if he doesn't, you can drop him later.

for defense part, i am assuming Pit, GB, Bal, Phi, Chi, NYJ...etc are all taken, see if you can get Houston from waiver.
hope that helps


Its all good man. It does help a lot. I actually can get Houston. But who do i drop? I have 2 defenses cause if i think one is gonna be bad then i have a back up. Some other guys in my league have always done that with success. Anyways, should i drop MIN or SAN Fran DEF to pick up Houston.
Xrunner
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 27
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Took over a team... my first year playing!!!

Postby Hippo45 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:06 am

Your quarterbacks are just fine.
Your running backs are very weak considering you don't have a back up running back.
Wide receivers are decent.
Tight ends shouldn't even be owned in your league if you aren't forced to start them.
Keep whatever defense you plan on playing this week or pick up a new one off waivers.

Starters for week 2:
Kolb
Mendenhall (should be started every week)
Greene (not the best RB2 hopefully there is somebody on waivers)
Wayne (still should be starter every week)
Bolden (should be starter every week unless going against top CB)
Nelson (better option than Branch)
Vinatieri (not the best kicker because Manning isn't playing)
49ers (unless there is a better option on waivers. Freeman doesn't turn the ball over that much)

Drop Hernandez and Vikings. Pick up either 2 running backs or 1 running back and 1 wide receiver.
Hippo45
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 326
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Home Cafe: Football


Return to Beginner's Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 20:25 hours
(and 34 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact