Dexter McCluster - deep sleeper value with dual eligibility? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dexter McCluster - deep sleeper value with dual eligibility?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dexter McCluster - deep sleeper value with dual eligibility?

Postby Cuffs » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:08 am

In ESPN leagues, Dexter McCluster has eligibility both as a RB and WR, much like Woodhead last season. It’d probably be overly optimistic to expect McCluster to equal Woodhead’s fantasy production from last year, if for no other reason than the Chiefs offense isn’t in the same ballpark as the Pats.

Still, IMO, McCluster has serious potential value in 3 WR ESPN leagues as a WR3 due to his dual position eligibility. I’m curious what others think.

1. you cover 2 positions with one roster spot, which is valuable for bye weeks and unexpected injuries (esp. in leagues with seasonal transaction limits)

2. even a low end RB can tend to be more consistent on a weekly basis than a mid-grade WR, and McCluster will get carries along with receptions. These types of RBs aren’t made irrelevant when playing from behind, and they tend to be less hurt when playing really good pass rushes or run defense teams because of screens and passes to the flat.

3. in 3 WR leagues, decent consistent WRs can be tough to find off the waiver wire. Playing him as a WR3 when needed may be less risky than pulling Bernard Berrian or Brian Hartline from the WW when you need him.

4. in leagues that give you return TDs or yardage, McCluster potential value increases because he returns punts and has sneaky, though unreliable, potential for a return TD some weeks.

5. McCluster averaged 10 ypc on 4 carries last week.

6. The Chiefs look like they could be terrible again, and if that is the case the staff may give Dex more chances (a) to get him experience, as a 2nd year player, and (b) to protect Jamaal Charles, as they wouldn’t want to risk wearing their young star out in a wasted season.

7. In PPR leagues, he’ll get some receptions.

I’ve added him in 2 leagues -- both are 2 RB/3 WR leagues. I don’t necessarily see his potential value nearly as high in flex leagues, because plenty of backup RBs may average 4-6 fps per game. Much tougher to find a waiver wire WR who may consistently get you that with the potential for a lot more if he gets a TD, either returning, rushing or receiving.

Admittedly, the chiefs were down big early, so in week 1 he was playing against more of a prevent D soft in the box when he averaged 10 ypc. In a closer game, Thomas Jones may get more carries.

Anyone have any thoughts on McCluster’s value this year? And I’m curious if ESPN is the only league that gives him dual eligibility. (He and woodhead are the only players I remember having dual eligibility over the last few years.)
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 35)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dexter McCluster - deep sleeper value with dual eligibil

Postby Sex Panther » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:46 am

I wouldn't invest too highly, didn't the majority of his touches come when the Chiefs were getting absolutely destroyed by Buffalo?

I would think he typically doesn't see that much action.

FA speculative add maybe, but I hope you didn't waste high waiver priority on him.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Metropolitans » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:39 am

He has dual eligibility in Yahoo too... I followed Dexter at Ole Miss so I'm well aware of his skill set. He's not an every down back but he's got a similar skill set to Reggie Bush. He should provide some value in PPR leagues, and as u said, plugging him in as a WR3 for a PPR league could probably be his best value. KC should have created a small package for Dex, since he is a HR threat and is extremely elusive. He could prove to be a better "in btwn the tackles runner" than I'm giving him credit for, but Charles does everythig McCluster does, albeit much better!

Synopsis: McClusters biggest asset is his WR/RB versatility, but he could provide value in PPR leagues as a WR3, especially in come from behind games, which KC should be in a lot of. He's dangerous on screens and has big play potential. He'll be inconsistent as a RB, but fairly consistent as a WR and he'll cost you nearly nothing. You might as well roll the dice... How often do you get a WR/RB eligible player who has solid upside?
10Team H2H
(8-1 Record)
QB- Stafford
WR- VJax
WR- Marshall
WR/RB-JNelson
RB- RRice
RB- DMC
TE- Gronkowski
K- Akers
DEF- WW Matchups
Bench- Bradford, Morris, Meachem, JBest, JBaldwin, Ridley
Metropolitans
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cuffs » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:12 pm

With reports that Jamaal Charles tore his ACL and is out for the year, I'd say McCluster's value increases quite a bit (as does Thomas Jones', obviously.)
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 35)

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Cuffs wrote:With reports that Jamaal Charles tore his ACL and is out for the year, I'd say McCluster's value increases quite a bit (as does Thomas Jones', obviously.)

In PPR leagues, I certainly like him more than Jones. In standard leagues I think it's really close. All that said, KC is a mess and I wouldn't be going out of my way to burn a waiver claim on either of them ...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:01 pm

Sex Panther wrote:I wouldn't invest too highly, didn't the majority of his touches come when the Chiefs were getting absolutely destroyed by Buffalo?

No. He was used throughout the game plan, including on the very first series of KC OFF plays, well before the game was out of hand.

Sex Panther wrote:I would think he typically doesn't see that much action.

FA speculative add maybe, but I hope you didn't waste high waiver priority on him.

He's been slotted for 8 to 12 touches a game through the 2nd half of last year and 1st 2 games of this year. I'd expect that to increase. I've heard all kinds of speculation from analysts about "KC won't have him on the field that much because he's too small and might get hurt".

Thats the stupidist thing I've ever heard. They drafted him to be a dynamic Kick Returner and to be a dual running/receiving threat. I don't think he'll come anywhere near the fantasy value of a Jamaal Charles when healthy, but he'll be relevant. He is much more valuable in leagues that grant bonus points for breakaway long plays, return yardage and PPR.

I'm looking for him to move up into the 15 - 20 touches per game range with JC out.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:03 pm

Metropolitans wrote:He's not an every down back but he's got a similar skill set to Reggie Bush. He should provide some value in PPR leagues, and as u said, plugging him in as a WR3 for a PPR league could probably be his best value.

Yes. This. ;-D Good post.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sex Panther » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:14 pm

spodog wrote:
Metropolitans wrote:He's not an every down back but he's got a similar skill set to Reggie Bush. He should provide some value in PPR leagues, and as u said, plugging him in as a WR3 for a PPR league could probably be his best value.

Yes. This. ;-D Good post.

When has Reggie ever been able to do this?

"I'm looking for him to move up into the 15 - 20 touches per game range with JC out."

And stay healthy?

McCluster listed at 5'8" 170 lbs.

Bush listed at 6'0" 203 lbs.

Just for kicks...

Sproles listed at 5'6" 190 lbs.

Pretty much everybody and their mother agrees that Bush and Sproles can't handle 15-20 touches a game, how is a guy who's significantly smaller supposed to take that kind of beating?

15-20 touches a game translates to 210-280 over the next 14 games.

Couple that with Bush (when he was in NO) and Sproles (both in SD & now in NO) were playing in explosive, elite NFL offenses w/ extraordinary QB's and weapons all over the place whereas McCluster is playing on what appears to be a bottom feeder NFL team which could end up being historically bad - I really don't see the appeal.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager