I know nothing about football please help me figure it out - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

I know nothing about football please help me figure it out

Moderator: Football Moderators

I know nothing about football please help me figure it out

Postby letangerang58 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:27 pm

So I just started playing fantasy football this season and I know nothing about football. Well I know a few names of some players on the steelers and some of the superstars but thats it. So I decided how I wanted to learn was by playing fantasy football. In week 1 I crushed the guy who probably has the most experience out of all of us with fantasy football so I feel pretty good about that. But I also play fantasy hockey and I'm familiar with how quickly things can turn on you.

So I figured I would try to find a forum that could help me. So here are a few questions I have. Feel free to answer 1 of them, all of them or just provide generally helpful advise to someone who doesn't know much about fantasy football or football at all but is willing to learn. My team is in my sig.

Who on my team is expendable and who are some of the free agents that I should be targeting? A bunch of the people who I was looking at have already been taken.
I know I need RBs but I'm not sure who to target, any ideas?
Trade: Someone offered me Deangelo Williams for Percy Harvin, should I take this trade?
Aaron Hernandez had a better week 1 than Kellen Winslow. Would you start Hernandez(vs SD) over Winslow(@Min) this week? Would you expect Hernandez to continue to out perform Winslow?
I image I should probably drop Kolb, am I right?
A little profile on BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Willis McGahee?
Any tips on the little nuances of fantasy football?
Any useful tools or websites out there?

Overall I do like the core of my team but there are definitely some adjustments I need to make to make if I'm gonna win this season...or even make the playoffs.
10 Team, 1 year league
Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 W/R, 1 K, 1 Def, 6 Ben
QB: Rodgers
WR:Decker, R Wayne, Manningham, Harvin, D Nelson, Meachem
RB:Jones-Drew, Bradshaw, McGahee, Green-Ellis
TE:Winslow, Hernandez
K:Bryant
Def:Chicago
letangerang58
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: I know nothing about football please help me figure it o

Postby dream_017 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:51 pm

letangerang58 wrote:So I just started playing fantasy football this season and I know nothing about football. Well I know a few names of some players on the steelers and some of the superstars but thats it. So I decided how I wanted to learn was by playing fantasy football. In week 1 I crushed the guy who probably has the most experience out of all of us with fantasy football so I feel pretty good about that. But I also play fantasy hockey and I'm familiar with how quickly things can turn on you.

So I figured I would try to find a forum that could help me. So here are a few questions I have. Feel free to answer 1 of them, all of them or just provide generally helpful advise to someone who doesn't know much about fantasy football or football at all but is willing to learn. My team is in my sig.

Who on my team is expendable and who are some of the free agents that I should be targeting? A bunch of the people who I was looking at have already been taken.
I know I need RBs but I'm not sure who to target, any ideas?
Trade: Someone offered me Deangelo Williams for Percy Harvin, should I take this trade?
Aaron Hernandez had a better week 1 than Kellen Winslow. Would you start Hernandez(vs SD) over Winslow(@Min) this week? Would you expect Hernandez to continue to out perform Winslow?
I image I should probably drop Kolb, am I right?
A little profile on BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Willis McGahee?
Any tips on the little nuances of fantasy football?
Any useful tools or websites out there?

Overall I do like the core of my team but there are definitely some adjustments I need to make to make if I'm gonna win this season...or even make the playoffs.

First of all, welcome to the Cafe. You found the right place, stick around and read as much as you can on this site(check out the start/sit, football talk and draft/trade/waiver/keeper forums here to stay informed and see who people are talking about.

Second do what you have already done - ask questions - there are a lot of helpful people here

As to some of you questions:
I think you have decent RBs to get you through the season, a bit weak on WR depth, so, with that I would not make the trade.
It's hard to know who is available in your league(so again just keep up to day on the guys the Cafe is talking about).
I think Hernandez and Winslow will be pretty similar - if you can trade one after their bye for some value I would do it.
You need to have a back-up QB until the bye; but be on the look-out for someone more valuable than Kolb at this point. I think he will be servicable for you at teh bye but there may be a better match-up.
I am pretty hgh on BJGE this year and think he will have a very solid fantasy season, so be sure to hang on to him and put him in your flex spot more often than not.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby letangerang58 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Thanks for the advise. I'll definitely keep that in mind.
10 Team, 1 year league
letangerang58
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby letangerang58 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:40 pm

Here are some of the WR FA in my league:
Emmanuel Sanders
Lance Moore
Michael Crabtree
Deion Branch
Randall Cobb
Danny Amendola

Any of these guys worth owning over any of my other WRs?
10 Team, 1 year league
letangerang58
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Apoplectic » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Amendola will miss quite a while because he dislocated his elbow, avoid him like you would Octomom if she had leprosy and MRSA. Out of all of those I like Branch, he's a starting WR from a pass heavy Patriots offense.
Apoplectic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 14)

Return to Beginner's Forum