Cam Newton is not a fluke - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cam Newton is not a fluke

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cam Newton is not a fluke

Postby RBManiac » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:19 pm

Cam Newton broke every NCAA record for QB efficiency with 188.2 Passer Rating!

Tom Brady 142+
Drew Brees 137+
P. Manning 147+

he finished the AZ game with 64.9pct completion.
Fluke? not likely.
seems like his elite college play translated to pro level last sunday.
Only makes sense to me. Newton has insane talent and should be seen as a high QB2 with upside of a top 10
At 250lbs 6'6" and running a 4.5. The guy is a beast, and should have a nice handfull of Rushing TDs this season. no reason why he doesnt crack the top 15 this year.

Why shouldnt his elite play translate to the pros? Peyton Mannings record of 147.7 NCAA rating did, and it did with over 4,000yrds passing his rookie year.
again, why shouldnt Cam Newton who smashed Peyton mannings record not equal a top 10 QB year? If anything, we will see this sunday against GBs defense. while i would be very surprised if he can beat GB. I wont be surprised if Newton puts up another 400yrd game
RBManiac
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cam Newton is not a fluke

Postby aardvarks » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:30 pm

good post^

it will be interesting to see what he does vs the reigning champs
aardvarks
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby u_fig_eater » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:32 pm

He doesn't have a legit WR other than Steve Smith. AFAIK a rookie QB has never finished in the top 10 (correct me if I'm wrong). ARI secondary sucks.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guru13 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:52 pm

Ryan Leaf's senior year passer rating = 158.7

I'm not saying your wrong, I just don't see how the passer rating argument holds any water.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby dgan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:38 pm

Since when do passer ratings go into the 180s? Does the NCAA have a different passer rating system than the NFL?
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby biju » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:10 pm

dgan wrote:Since when do passer ratings go into the 180s? Does the NCAA have a different passer rating system than the NFL?

Yes. The NFL has a maximum cap on passer rating at 158.3, but the college passer rating goes something like 10x higher. I'm sure it's on the internet somewhere.

Ah, first link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SlowMotionRiot » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm up on Cam Newton. I drafted Steve Smith fairly early; but dude, comparing his college QB ratings to Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees? Are you kidding me? It's two completely different eras. You may as well compare Bart Starr's(115.2) college QB rating to Timmy Chang's(125.1).

I won't go into the entire inflation of stats in the Spread Offense, but if you hadn't noticed; records are being broken left and right. David Klingler threw up a 135.1. Tim Tebow? 170.1.

I like Cam this year a bit in fantasy. He has 3 potent pass catchers, 2 potent running backs, a run blocking o-line. Add in the fact that he's the current NFL prototype (6'5'' 230+, Mobile, Big Arm) like Flacco, Big Ben, and Josh Freeman - and he's a perfect project. So were Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, and Dante Culpepper, so who knows.

Still, College QB ratings comparisons? I don't think they prove anything. The Immortal Jeff Smoker threw a 133. You really can't put to much into these things. A lot of people like to look at completion rating+games started+win/loss when projecting college success to the pros, and I really haven't seen that work(Matt Leinhart and such).

I like to look at the ability to carry a bad team in a tough conference. That leaves out a lot of potential QBs. I haven't seen a system that works yet.
SlowMotionRiot
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:45 pm

I think what you guys are missing most is this:

Cam Newton had 2 goal line carries in a row to score his TD. If any of this continues he could be a 6-8 TD QB this year for running.

I think he's definitely one to watch but a lot of his value will come out of his legs moreso than his arm. You bench him against GB and CHI and maybe he learns something from them. I'd take a flier on him if you have the chance to. He's got the upside to crack the top 12.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby SlowMotionRiot » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:08 pm

WickedSmaat wrote:
Cam Newton had 2 goal line carries in a row to score his TD. If any of this continues he could be a 6-8 TD QB this year for running.

Does that do anything to DeAngelo and Stewart's value?
SlowMotionRiot
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:55 pm

SlowMotionRiot wrote:
WickedSmaat wrote:

Does that do anything to DeAngelo and Stewart's value?

It could diminish it somewhat, because the coaches might be seeing a guys body (6'5"-248 8-o ) that wants to punch it in. I'm not saying he's getting all the carries but the fact they tried to get him in would really pique some interest into Cam. Does it hurt their value? Sure, but without seeing more of what they really want to do, it's hard to say but it does give me caution regarding the RBs moving forward.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Next

Return to Football Talk