Cam Newton is not a fluke - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cam Newton is not a fluke

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Cam Newton is not a fluke

Postby mattb47 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:32 pm

I think it's a little premature to both call him a stud as well as saying he has zero chance of being in the top 10. I think that he has the skill set to be in the top 10 this year but it's going to be a matter of how he reacts once defensive coordinators start sending a whole bunch of different looks at him. I'm guessing that will probably start this week when he plays Green Bay so we'll get a look at how he adapts to all that. The bottom line for me is that he's just a really good football player and he shows up to play in big games. Sure Arizona is a pretty poor pass defense and that definitely helped him but he put up HUGE numbers against them, if he even still puts up modest numbers on a weekly basis through the air, his rushing numbers will bump him up higher on fantasy rankings.

I mean if you look at the guys who were in the 8-12 range last year at QB, it's not really THAT high a bar that he has to reach to land himself in the top 10. I think the biggest problem with him from a fantasy perspective this year is going to be his consistency but the tools are all there and he actually does have some weapons to throw to with Steve Smith, Greg Olsen, Jeremy Shockey, and even DeAngelo Williams out of the backfield.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DraftDodger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:23 pm

There are like six QBs in this league that we can confidently pencil into the top 10 (barring injury). One of those other 4 spots is a more likely destination for Cam Newton, probably, than at least half the other starters. IMHO he's battling maybe 9 other guys for 1 of 4 spots, making his odds a little less than even of breaking into the top ten fantasy-wise.

Honestly, I think he has a great chance of being in the top half of fantasy QBs, and a good to very good chance of cracking the top ten.

I am not suggesting that anyone start the guy anytime soon on their fantasy teams. He may torch some good defense for 5 TDs then turn around the next week and do absolutely nothing. That's the fantasy life of rookie QBs.

I just think his raw talent helps him greatly in a season where no one received the preparation they needed, and where we're already down one of the guys who would've been penciled in for a big fantasy season. There are already teams struggling to put 11 guys on the field for each play. Against that, a fresh athletic player has a huge advantage. Time, I think, will prove the OP right.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby WickedSmaat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Another 400 yard game. The Panthers are definitely more competitive than I thought they were, though they seem to not be able to run the ball at all so far. He definitely should be rostered and maybe even shopped. Still wondering when I'd actually buy into him the whole season, but if I had a chance to I'd probably start him next week against the Lions. It seems like Smith is also back into the conversation of top WRs, to the point he's returning to his pre-2009 form when Delhomme just had to throw it in his direction.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby Curtis Pride » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:47 pm

Phew. I may have solved my dire QB issue in my 14 team league since my other options are Cassell and Campbell.

The Panthers are clearly willing to let him throw the ball, he has shown pretty good accuracy to date (though some bad decision making for his three interceptions today). The fact that he's got two rushing TDs in two games, is a pretty good sign for his potential as a goalline back.
Curtis Pride
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LMack » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:27 pm

Another rushing TD. Erases the three picks in standard scoring.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby RBManiac » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:51 pm

abrunn11 wrote:

Newton as absolutely ZERO chance of being a top 10 QB this season, ZERO. I am predicting a line of 13/31 178 0/3 this week

such a low projection. but yeah. his 3 picks against the champs his rookie year doesnt phase me. He rushed and passed for a TD, and has 485 total yards. he is a top 10 QB again this week.
RBManiac
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DraftDodger » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Everybody and their brother (and their brother's pet parrot) have been touting Green Bay as the #1 team, the team to beat, and although Newton fell short of that, his performance against them suggests that nobody is a lock to give him a bad weak. Pretty soon (if not this week) we're going to be seeing "start him with confidence" most weeks. Top 10 fantasy QB is looking realistic.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby abrunn11 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:48 pm

RBManiac wrote:
abrunn11 wrote:

Newton as absolutely ZERO chance of being a top 10 QB this season, ZERO. I am predicting a line of 13/31 178 0/3 this week

such a low projection. but yeah. his 3 picks against the champs his rookie year doesnt phase me. He rushed and passed for a TD, and has 485 total yards. he is a top 10 QB again this week.

I was wrong, I will own it. Now that he is doing things that no other rookie has ever done, twice, I will say that he definitely has a chance to be a top 10 QB this year, I'd be foolish not to think that.
abrunn11
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:18 pm

abrunn11 wrote:
RBManiac wrote:
abrunn11 wrote:

I was wrong, I will own it. Now that he is doing things that no other rookie has ever done, twice, I will say that he definitely has a chance to be a top 10 QB this year, I'd be foolish not to think that.

I will also admit I misjudged him as a pro prospect...I thought he was much more of a project than he obviously is. However, the adjustments GB made at halftime I think showed some of his weaknesses. Once defenses get some film on him (as well as the new Carolina offense which is night and day from what John Fox Panthers ran), they will take away the things he's comfortable with.

He loves passing outside the numbers toward the sidelines. Fades, corners and fly routes. His accuracy around the hashmarks is poor and he has to work on his footwork for throws in the flat and quick outs. He also doesn't look to run...he will when flushed, but you can come after him as a DLineman. You don't have to be so concerned about containment that you stop trying to rush him. He will check down but, like all rookies, will force things that aren't there. Playing some version of a Tampa 2 is what I think defenses will start showing him, forcing him to throw accurate passes down the middle in tight windows.

Also, I think his coaches do him a disservice by abandoni ng the run. There was no reason for him to throw as much as he did in that game. It was just a matter of time before the Packers forced him into some mistakes. If they keep this up, they will not have success as a team, no matter what numbers he puts up. And they might get him killed.

But like I said, I was wrong. He's an awesome talent with a bright future, and the future will be sooner than later.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Sex Panther » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:35 am

I'm shocked he put up another 400 yards passing vs GB.

Still not ready to annoint him the 2nd coming, but he has definately put up much better numbers than I thought he would out of the gate.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager