Cam Newton is not a fluke - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cam Newton is not a fluke

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Cam Newton is not a fluke

Postby latraffic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:11 pm

Well I say "thank God" he's playing so well because I had Cassel. Only outscored Matt by 23 pts or so. You know who Cam reminds me of... the GOOD Daunte Culpepper. There were some seasons there when Culpepper was a highly coveted fantasy QB. Big, strong, uses his feet to score when need be. Let's just hope he's not on next year's Madden cover.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ek » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:27 pm

latraffic wrote:Well I say "thank God" he's playing so well because I had Cassel. Only outscored Matt by 23 pts or so. You know who Cam reminds me of... the GOOD Daunte Culpepper. There were some seasons there when Culpepper was a highly coveted fantasy QB. Big, strong, uses his feet to score when need be. Let's just hope he's not on next year's Madden cover.

I agree with this assessment completely. I'm not sure that CPepp was ever that good of a real-life QB, but he was a top-2 fantasy QB for several years. Most scoring overvalues QB rushing yards and undervalues turnovers (important since both guys make some silly mistakes), and he had a dangerous WR1 that he was comfortable with. It is a very similar situation. What is really frightening is that he's doing this as a rookie with no training camp. There might be a mid-season slump when defenses have film and start to adjust, but I'm guessing he develops and makes the counter-adjustments that he needs to.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby ramble2 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:15 am

As a few others have suggested, it's not just Newton whose value needs re-adjusting. Steve Smith is looking like he could be the steal of the year. Everyone knew Smith had talent, but I'm guessing around these parts that he was being treated as a good WR3, maybe borderline WR2 at most. I know I was happy to get him as a throw-in on a deal I made, but had him buried as my 4th WR for week 1 (behind Johnson, Wallace and Williams (TB)). I think he can be upgraded to a solid WR1 for the remainder of the season. The big question mark on him (at least for me) was whether he'd have anyone worthwhile throwing him the ball.

From the little bit of the CAR-GB I saw on Sunday, Newton looked very good. He was throwing bullets. Like all NFL rookies he's going to have to learn better decision making, and this probably won't be his only 3 INT game of the season. But I was impressed on Sunday. I think he's going to be very good, and I'd be confident starting him in most formats.

Of course, if he was backing up a Brady or Brees, I'd do my best to trade him this week for a clear RB1 or WR1.
ramble2
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:11 pm

What I love most about Newt is that when the run game didn't materialize they just let Cam pass. Almost any other team using a rookie QB would be running some vanilla passing scheme, but I see highlights of long passes and more dangerous passes than most coaches feel comfortable allowing veteran QBs attempt. I think this will prove crucial in his development as a QB playmaker rather than a dud, game manager type flunkie that coaches seem to gravitate toward.
So dude has the wheels, arm, and is allowed to use his head. Sure there are some bad plays to come, but he has a chance to learn something most QBs never do, how to win.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby 2ksports » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:51 pm

Teams won championships with Tim Tebow last year because of the rushing TDs keeping the floor very very high.

There's no reason Cam can't be an every week starter at this point. He is unbenchable imo.

The running ability will ensure his floor will be very high. It's very unlikely he'll give you a bad fantasy game as they'll be throwing / scrambling from behind often. He is a lock to finish as a top 10 QB this year imo, seeing as he's already thrown for 854 yards, 3 TDs and rushed for a TD in each game. It's simply a very fantasy friendly QB.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Ek » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:04 pm

That's true. He has a terrible defense and no reliable running game apart from himself. That may not be the ideal situation for his real-life development, but it is exactly what you want for your fantasy QB.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dawinner127 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:59 pm

Stewart had 100 receiving yards last week. It seems that DeAngelo just can't get it going. Is Stewart the guy to own in Carolina?
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby dgan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:57 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure why they paid DWill to come back to do this? But then, Tampa signed Ward to a huge contract to be a third-stringer, so...

My prediction is that they will either choose to run the ball soon here, or they are going to get Newton killed and then be forced to run the ball. Either way, Stewart or DWill should get more touches as we go along here. I'm just not sure which. Based on what I saw last week, Stewart looks better and got more action (and he looks pretty good on passing plays...which is where DWill used to chase him off the field). So I give the edge to Stewart but it wouldn't be a shocker if DWill started getting more work.

Very similar to the Grant/Starks situation...one looks better, the other has a history of a 'starters' workload. Neither has any real value until the team starts running the ball.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby TroutSeason » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:27 pm

As a Carolina fan from the start of the franchise, this has definitely been the most exciting beginning of a season I have witnessed, even though we are 0-2 (to be fair plenty of our seasons start like this). Newton looks like he knows what he's doing, I was really unsure about Newton coming in to the season, once he gets a little more familiar with his receivers he's going to be dirty. Unfortunately my league is all based in Charlotte and no one would trade Cam for any other quarterback in the league right now were just too excited about him (minus the interceptions). I'm expecting a big game out of him against Jacksonville.

Newton seems to have good chemistry with LaFell and Olsen, still too early too see how this pans out but I picked up LaFell as my WR4 as a long term move. With the double teams coming towards smith LaFell will catch some long passes. These guys are probably on most league's FA list.

Obviously he's going to make Steve's Fantasy stock skyrocket. Last year he didn't have a QB.

The running game should get better... Williams carried this team for a while, just not sure whats going on with him right now. John Fox was more of a control defense and run the ball on 3 and 7 kind of coach. With the change, Stewart might be the back you want on your team. He might not be nearly as quick, or slick, but he sure can break tackles.

Just let us get a win this sunday. I've stuck by my team and always will, but last season was very very hard to watch.
TroutSeason
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Guru13 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:01 am

DraftDodger wrote:
Guru13 wrote:
DraftDodger wrote:Tarkenton was 4th, and coincidentally was a scrambler like, um, Newton. I hate going back 50 years to back up my point. LOL. Seriously though...

That's not even relevant. Like at all.

It's totally relevant to the claim made that no rookie QB had ever finished in the top 10, though as you might notice I LOLed at having to use Tarkenton as an example.

I'm simply in agreement with the OP that Newton is no fluke. He will probably have horrible rookie games, and I'd only start him vs. great match-ups (and a little later in the season when we can be more sure of those match-ups).

I don't think anyone here is trying to argue that you should declare Newton an instant stud and plug him in every week.

No it isn't relevant; Tarkenton played FOREVER ago. While a great QB nonetheless It's not relevant. At all.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk