Cam Newton is not a fluke - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cam Newton is not a fluke

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Cam Newton is not a fluke

Postby dream_017 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:09 pm

2ksports wrote:Teams won championships with Tim Tebow last year because of the rushing TDs keeping the floor very very high.

If by Tim Tebow you mean Mike Vick - I'll pick up the flag, but teams did not win championships with Tebow as their QB
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ek » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:25 pm

I think some teams probably did win w/ Tebow. Here's his gamelog from last year: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... 0/gamelog/

Note the playoffs weeks:
14: 138 pass yds., 78 rush yds., 2 TDs (1 pass/1 rush), no turnovers
15: 308 pass yds., 27 rush yds., 2 TDs (1 pass/1 rush), 1 INT
16: 205 pass yds., 94 rush yds., 3 TDs (2 pass/1 rush), 2 INTs

Granted, nobody would have been in the playoffs if they had Tebow as their QB all year, but he was a great playoff pickup for many teams and I am sure some of them won their league. You could win a playoff game with any of those lines from your QB, with the week 16 one, it would actually have been tough to lose with an otherwise playoff-caliber team. Week 14 was the worst of the three, but it still was decent, and I'm guessing only a very gutsy or very desperate person would have started him in a playoff game then. Bear in mind that almost all scoring systems count rushing yards substantially higher than passing, and many count rushing TDs higher as well (this is relevant for Cam too).
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby DraftDodger » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:06 am

Guru13 wrote:No it isn't relevant; Tarkenton played FOREVER ago. While a great QB nonetheless It's not relevant. At all.

Please remind me of what you've added to the conversation. u_fig already conceded my point (that there has been a top 10 fantasy rookie QB). On a lark, grabbing numbers from the cool site he linked, I posted Tarkenton's "fantasy" finish his rookie season (though I doubt many if any people played fantasy football back then). When the key word in a discussion is EVER or NEVER, it opens up the entire history of pro football. You can put an * into such a discussion, by saying "in a 16-game season" or "after this or that rule change", but EVER and NEVER both refer to "in the history of the game".

You can just about bet that if Newton finishes in the top 3 fantasy QBs, somebody will declare him the best fantasy rookie QB ever and dig up the Tarkenton numbers as a comparison.

Many sites are already declaring Newton as a "must start" elite fantasy QB after two weeks. The OP is probably going to be proven right, and everyone who disagreed will be that other thing: wrong.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Curtis Pride » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:29 am

Ok, so no more benching Newton because the other QB has a better matchup.
Curtis Pride
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:56 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:Ok, so no more benching Newton because the other QB has a better matchup.

Until I hear OCs are "figuring him out" I'm not taking him out of my lineup, period.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:20 pm

biju wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:Ok, so no more benching Newton because the other QB has a better matchup.

Until I hear OCs are "figuring him out" I'm not taking him out of my lineup, period.

Yep. I'm always wary of flash in the pan stuff, but this is a pretty sustained flash, albeit for a rookie with only four games. I'm starting him in two leagues for two weeks running now and will continue to do so until performance warrants benching. Which I hope it doesn't, he and Smith singlehandedly won me a game yesterday.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby 2ksports » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:49 pm

dream_017 wrote:
2ksports wrote:Teams won championships with Tim Tebow last year because of the rushing TDs keeping the floor very very high.

If by Tim Tebow you mean Mike Vick - I'll pick up the flag, but teams did not win championships with Tebow as their QB

Sure they did :) - I know of 2 in my office alone.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby dream_017 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:32 am

2ksports wrote:
dream_017 wrote:

Sure they did :) - I know of 2 in my office alone.

Do they have any openings :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Previous

Return to Football Talk