TONY ROMO & WHY HE'S STILL A COWBOY *MY THEORY* - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

TONY ROMO & WHY HE'S STILL A COWBOY *MY THEORY*

Moderator: Football Moderators

TONY ROMO & WHY HE'S STILL A COWBOY *MY THEORY*

Postby flexnsa » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:39 pm

I've been saying for years that the Dallas Cowboys will never make it to the Superbowl as long as Tony Romo is under center. As a matter of fact I made it known in a previous post on this site a few years ago. http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=404173

Actually in that post I put the "choke" label on Tony Romo as I was watching the game and watched him fumble and create a turnover in the end zone. The Cowboys did end up winning the game and thus I was persecuted for it, but my point was.. and still is, that even if the Cowboys win, Tony Romo is still just an mediocre QB who has a tendancy to give up the ball, especially in big games or tight situations. Of course many argue that a win is a win no matter how ugly, and I must agree... but again my argument is only in reference to the quality of QB the Cowboys have had leading the team since 2006.

I mean...
If you play with what you've always had, your gonna get what you always get.. right??

So that being said....

I've always asked myself why? Why do the Cowboys remain confident in Tony Romo? Why does the "learning curve" seem to extend for this guy each year? And why.. given a decent O-line, a star wide receiving corps (TE included), a better than average running game, and several different coaches over the years with nothing to show is management holding on???

Oh yes... thats right, he has taken the Boys to the playoffs twice but so what...? Can I get a second round perhaps? Besides... who gives credit to a QB for making it to the playoffs anyway? It's such a stupid point! No... QB's are credited for the Superbowl wins. ie.. Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Ben. Can you honestly see Romos name associated with that bunch? Hardly...

So anyhow... here's my theory.

The question is not, "What does Tony Romo bring to the Cowboys?", but rather the question is "What does Antonio Ramiro Romo" bring to the Cowboys franchise.. or in other words, "What does he bring to Jerry Jones pocket book?" My inquisition began when I heard Jones comment the other day when he said, "I thought Romo played the best game he's ever played."

WHAT!!!!!!!! Were you watching the same game JJ? Why would he make such a ridiculous comment?

Nobodys is talking about this but I think there is some real underling similarities with the "HISPANIC" growth and the growth of the Dallas Cowboys franchise. According to USATODAY, hispanics account for 65% of Texas growth since 2000. When you look at the most popular NFL jerseys sold over the past 4 years, guess who's name remains in top ten? yep.. Mr. Antonio Ramiro Romo! 2010 (#10) 2009 (#4) 2008 (#1). I don't have all the numbers but I'd be willing to bet that since 2006, when he first took over as a starter, Tony Romo jerseys have been worn by more hispanics or latinos or whatever you want to call us (yes I am one) more than any other ethnicity. Well yeah.. duh... right.... That's just it... It's not about his talent.. it's about his last name. How many millions or should I say billions do you think JJ is bringing in with ticket sales and Cowboy accesories? Oh and have you seen the new stadium? How about parking, beer, more accesories etc..

I think Romo brought a huge hispanic fan base to the Dallas Cowboys, not that there wasn't already one, but rather more ticket sales, more jersey sales, more "hype" than any other one person has ever brought to this franchise, and THIS!!!!!!! is the reason I believe Jerry Jones wants his QB to be Antonio Ramiro Romo. Show me the money!!!!

I could be totally off base with this assumtion by the way. I just can't think of any other reason he's still a Cowboy.
Last edited by flexnsa on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flexnsa
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: TONY ROMO & WHY HE'S STILL A COWBOY *MY THEORY*

Postby u_fig_eater » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Under the last CBA, jersey sales were split equally among the NFL franchises. I don't know the stats under the new CBA, but I'd assume it's the same. So for every dollar made from a Romo jersey, Jerry Jones gets three cents. I'm not sure if that's the main reason Romo is a Cowboy.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DraftDodger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:21 am

I'll offer up another idea or two on why he's still a cowboy, since the racist conspiracy theory is virtually impossible to prove or disprove.

Reason #1 He's been between the 5th and 8th best (statistical) QB in 4 out of the last 5 years. Technically that means he'd be an upgrade for 24-27 NFL teams. You get rid of him, and you improve another team while likely weakening your own. When a guy hangs around, it's usually because no one else is playing well enough to threaten his job.

Reason #2 Choking is a rather strange intangible in the NFL. Belichick was run out of Cleveland on a rail because his team managed to "choke" in spectacular fashion, and now he's considered the best (or at worst one of the best) coaches in the league. And think about it a little. If you really considered your #1 QB a choker, wouldn't you have a couple of quality back-ups and use them like baseball coaches use their bullpen, to "save" the close games? Coaches have to know their players' weaknesses and adjust their game plan accordingly. Then again, they can just cut loose the scapegoat (Sapp anyone?)

Reason #3 You don't need the best QB to win a Super Bowl. Look at Trent Dilfer. He won on the strength of the Ravens D, and only threw for 153 yards and 1 TD (and Joe Namath didn't even manage a touchdown in his Super Bowl victory). Dilfer had a career rating of 70.2 and Namath had 65.5. Romo's worst rating has been over 90, and he's over 100 so far this season.

Don't expect Romo to live up (or down?) to that choking tag forever. Any player can reinvent himself.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby spodog » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:25 am

I don't think Hispanics relate to Romo any more or less than they do with any other player on the team. The NFL isn't like professional boxing. You don't have specific ethnic groups who associate with one individual and only follow his career or cheer for a team because of him. The NFL has made heros out of blacks, whites, hispanics, pacific islanders, kids born in Alaska, Texans, you name it. It doesn't matter.

My theory of what Tony Romo brings to the Cowboys is this:

Last edited by spodog on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:15 am

This is the problem. When good QBs hit their ceiling and aren't Brady or Manning, people lose patience. Romo is not a bad QB. He's a good QB. In fact, he's a very good QB. He is just not an elite QB, and at this point you have to think he's peaked...he never will reach that upper echelon.

It's kind of like in fantasy world when the #1 pick overall finishes the league as the 12th ranked RB. He wasn't bad...he just wasn't what you hoped he'd be.

In Romo's case, it is all the talking heads that for years now have been billing him as the next wonderkid at QB. He's not and probably won't be. But Dallas could go 15 years before they find someone better. Good QBs are hard enough to find - great ones, nearly impossible.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Sex Panther » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:49 am

dgan wrote:
In Romo's case, it is all the talking heads that for years now have been billing him as the next wonderkid at QB. He's not and probably won't be. But Dallas could go 15 years before they find someone better. Good QBs are hard enough to find - great ones, nearly impossible.

This.

Let me preface the following by saying, I'm not a big Romo fan - not at all actually, so this is totally unbiased.

It's not that Romo is bad, quite contrary - he's a good QB, perhaps too good for his own good.

There is talk that he is so confident, he believes he can make any play, any time, against any opponent.

He actually played quite well in an extremely hostile environment last Sunday night.

He's being ripped for basically 2 plays -

The fumble play was Romo trying to make something happen - if he doesn't fumble he's being heralded as "a guy who does what it takes to win" & "oh man, that was a gutsy play", etc & so on.

The INT he trew however was an absolute horrendus throw, he had no business throwing that - again, him thinking he can make any play, any time.

He's got some Brett Favre in him.

23 for 36, 63.9% completions, 342 passing yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 1 fumble, 1 fumble lost on the road, QB rating of 101.9.

This was on the road, in New York, on the 10th "anniversary" (probably a better term for that) of the 9/11 attacks, in prime time against what projects to be one of the best defenses in the NFL is hardly "bad".

In 2006, he's still getting ripped for fumbling a FG snap in the playoffs - it was his first year as a starter (in which he didn't start out as such) on the road vs the eventual NFC representative in the SB.

In 2007 he threw for over 4200 yards, 36 TD & lost to a divison rival at home in the 1st round of the playoffs, the Giants went on the win the SB if memory serves.

In 2008 he missed 3 games, but went 8-5 as a starter, they missed the playoffs.

In 2009, he only threw 9 INT's, led the Cowboys to the playoffs, beat the hell out of Philly in Round 1 of said playoffs (did not turn the ball over) & they lost to the Vikings in resounding fashion - in Minnesota.

2010 he broke his collar bone, week 7, Dallas was 1-5 prior to that, and missed the playoffs.

When he's healthy, Dallas has been a perenial playoff team.

Only 1 team wins the Superbowl every year.

Only 12 teams make the playoffs, in the 3 years Romo has started the majority of games for Dallas he's gotten them there - he's given them a chance.

Perhaps more so than any other major sport, the NFl is a team game, and starting QB's are placed under the microscope more so than any other position in any sport, they are subject to the most scrutiny, harshes critques, and typically given way too much credit when their teams win - it take 53 guys to be all on the same page & a special alignment of the stars to win in the NFL.

I don't think it's fair to place all of the blame on Romo (or any quarterback for that matter) when their teams don't reach the promised land.

Just my 2 cents.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 6)

Postby flexnsa » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:12 pm

u_fig_eater wrote:Under the last CBA, jersey sales were split equally among the NFL franchises. I don't know the stats under the new CBA, but I'd assume it's the same. So for every dollar made from a Romo jersey, Jerry Jones gets three cents. I'm not sure if that's the main reason Romo is a Cowboy.

That's a good argument but I'd be interested in finding out whats the most "ALL TIME" sold Dallas Cowboy jersey. Draft Dodger was right in saying that my theory is impossible to prove or disprove but when you look at what the Cowboys are worth... maybe they really are "America's Team"

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/30/football-valuations-10_Dallas-Cowboys_300988.html
flexnsa
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dgan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:16 pm

flexnsa wrote:... maybe they really are "America's Team"]

As a Packer fan, I take offense to that. :-C
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby flexnsa » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:28 pm

DraftDodger wrote:I'll offer up another idea or two on why he's still a cowboy, since the racist conspiracy theory is virtually impossible to prove or disprove.

Reason #1 He's been between the 5th and 8th best (statistical) QB in 4 out of the last 5 years. Technically that means he'd be an upgrade for 24-27 NFL teams. You get rid of him, and you improve another team while likely weakening your own. When a guy hangs around, it's usually because no one else is playing well enough to threaten his job.

Reason #2 Choking is a rather strange intangible in the NFL. Belichick was run out of Cleveland on a rail because his team managed to "choke" in spectacular fashion, and now he's considered the best (or at worst one of the best) coaches in the league. And think about it a little. If you really considered your #1 QB a choker, wouldn't you have a couple of quality back-ups and use them like baseball coaches use their bullpen, to "save" the close games? Coaches have to know their players' weaknesses and adjust their game plan accordingly. Then again, they can just cut loose the scapegoat (Sapp anyone?)

Reason #3 You don't need the best QB to win a Super Bowl. Look at Trent Dilfer. He won on the strength of the Ravens D, and only threw for 153 yards and 1 TD (and Joe Namath didn't even manage a touchdown in his Super Bowl victory). Dilfer had a career rating of 70.2 and Namath had 65.5. Romo's worst rating has been over 90, and he's over 100 so far this season.

Don't expect Romo to live up (or down?) to that choking tag forever. Any player can reinvent himself.

I liked your sacrcastic-tongue in cheek racist conspiracy theory remark. Funny... :-)

As for your reason#3, I never said Tony Romo wouldn't win a superbowl, I said he'd never make it to one! A better example may have been Rex Grossman. ;-D
flexnsa
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:18 pm

wait...he's not Italian :-B
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk