Jermichael Finley still a solid starter? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jermichael Finley still a solid starter?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jermichael Finley still a solid starter?

Postby Tyler Maxwell » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:09 pm

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on Jermichael Finley thus far. He came out and had three receptions in the first quarter against the Saints, and then was never targeted again. I realize his athletic potential is sky high, but with an offense that spreads the ball to several guys, it seems like he may not see many reps at all, and he also seems to still be having a lingering issue with his ankle, possibly a reason they arent giving him a lot of action. What are your thoughts on him in week 2 and as the season progresses?
Tyler Maxwell
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jermichael Finley still a solid starter?

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:57 pm

My thoughts on him for week 2 and the rest of the season are the some thoughts that I had before going into the season. I'm not going to wrap my head around myself because of what happened week 1, he's got skills and Rodgers will find him. You could always trade him to me if you have your doubts.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby Booyah85 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:26 am

He has too many skills and too many mismatches to pass up on. Granted, he only had a few receptions but they were quite impressive. Rodgers can basically throw it to him anytime and he will haul it in thanks to his size and hands.

Secondly, he is coming back from injury - patience my friend.
Booyah85
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby biju » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:39 am

I'm not concerned for now. I knew going into the season that Rodgers was going to spread the ball around, but defensively teams are (more or less) designed to stop opposing WRs well and limit the TE as much as possible. Teams that have weaker LBs will provide more opportunity, although I'm given pause as I thought the Saints LB corps would not have been good against him either.

I'm not even going to start thinking about this until after week 3 or so. It's still early in the season and not time to jump ship after one game below expectations. Of course, if you have a strong opinion against him for this year, right now he'll still have top value in a trade.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Sex Panther » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:52 am

No he's not a solid starter - he's an unstoppable force at his position.

The only thing that makes him matchup proof is injury concerns - he has never shown the aptitude to stay healthy.

When he does manage to play 16 games he'll end up with a high end WR's stat line... 80/12/1000, something along those lines.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby LMack » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:10 am

I wouldn't be worried at this point. Although it was only on 4 targets, Rodgers was successful connecting with Finley for 3 catches (75%), including one impressive grab. He also got a 16 yard catch near the RZ which almost went for a TD. According to Rotoworld, Finley played 54-of-67 snaps (80.6%)

He seems healthy and should be on the field, so Aaron Rodgers will find him eventually. It just so happened that Jordy Nelson and Donald Driver were open and drew substantial targets on Thursday as well. The beginning of last year is was clear that Rodgers loved to throw the ball to Finley, and even with all his options I don't think that has changed.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby kieu » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:33 pm

a bit disappointed that Finley's numbers are so low 2 weeks straight when I have Gronkowski producing on my bench.
kieu
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:21 pm

kieu wrote:a bit disappointed that Finley's numbers are so low 2 weeks straight when I have Gronkowski producing on my bench.

If you feel that way, then you should obviously be starting Gronk. Or better yet, trade Finley and start Gronk.

I mean this guy is a freak, you can't line up a DB on him because of his height and size in general, but you stick a LB on him and his physical ability and speed toast them. He will produce, hes healthy, it's just going to take a bit of time for Rodgers to target him regularly because of the fact that he didn't have him at all last year, so he figured out how to play without him, now it will take finding how to play with him again.

If it were me, I would trade Gronk while his value is sky high, because this won't keep up all year, hell his 2nd TD today was on a terrible blown coverage. On top of that is the fact that eventually teams are going to recognize that hes going to have to be doubled, once that happens his production will be cut in half at least. Finley on the other hand has no where to go but up, and it will happen.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:38 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:
kieu wrote:a bit disappointed that Finley's numbers are so low 2 weeks straight when I have Gronkowski producing on my bench.

If you feel that way, then you should obviously be starting Gronk. Or better yet, trade Finley and start Gronk.

I mean this guy is a freak, you can't line up a DB on him because of his height and size in general, but you stick a LB on him and his physical ability and speed toast them. He will produce, hes healthy, it's just going to take a bit of time for Rodgers to target him regularly because of the fact that he didn't have him at all last year, so he figured out how to play without him, now it will take finding how to play with him again.

If it were me, I would trade Gronk while his value is sky high, because this won't keep up all year, hell his 2nd TD today was on a terrible blown coverage. On top of that is the fact that eventually teams are going to recognize that hes going to have to be doubled, once that happens his production will be cut in half at least. Finley on the other hand has no where to go but up, and it will happen.

I am disappointed too, and I will have to look at next week's matchup. I also have Gronk and will have to consider starting him.

Trading one is also a good idea, but I'm not sold that Gronk can't have a top-5 season. He had 10 TDs last year and he has 3 already. Brady spreads it around and Hernandez has gotten some love, too. But with Brady, I believe that Gronk can keep this up.

If I get a killer offer for Finley, I might take it. I could use another RB because DeAngelo Williams sucks lollipops.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby DemonDeacon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:54 am

joejlitz wrote:
bazzy_51 wrote:

I am disappointed too, and I will have to look at next week's matchup. I also have Gronk and will have to consider starting him.

Trading one is also a good idea, but I'm not sold that Gronk can't have a top-5 season. He had 10 TDs last year and he has 3 already. Brady spreads it around and Hernandez has gotten some love, too. But with Brady, I believe that Gronk can keep this up.

If I get a killer offer for Finley, I might take it. I could use another RB because DeAngelo Williams sucks lollipops.

Haha don't listen to bazzy and d coordinator that doubles Gronk will lose his job... Welker is still the guy to stop in that offense followed by Hernandez, you can argue between Branch and Gronk after that plus your going to have to fit Ochocinco in the mix in a few weeks as well. Gronk will ALWAYS be in line for TDs and obviously 10+ isn't a question of if, but when. I have the same dilemma and as sad as it sounds since Finley is my boy, I will be taking offers on him. If nothing comes my way that I like, Gronk isn't a bad flex play at this point. He's a TD machine and highly valuable in standard scoring
Eastmont League 10-3 (2nd Seed)
Wenatchee League 9-4 (2nd Seed)
Urine Trouble League 6-7 (6th seed boooya!!!)
DemonDeacon
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 16)

Next

Return to Football Talk